Countrypolitan expansion, 15 stories, 120-130 rooms, ballroom, rooftop bar

markhollin

We have already bastardized all of lower Broad and 2nd Ave. These buildings are no longer historic. You either leave them untouched or do away with Historic. We dont need to start doing this to every historic building in town, then they are no longer historic and therefore can be torn down as they have lost their historic significance.

Quit doing this for the sake of height .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Winston Hotels is seeking Metro's permission to add a 15 story, 120-130 room addition to Hotel Indigo on top of the former 117-year-old bank building bordering the property to the south at 231 3rd Ave. North. They purchased the classically-designed structure that still bears the name "Nashville Trust Company" last December for $4.6 million. 

Current zoning allows for 6 stories.  Their architect firm, Gresham Smith, makes a range of arguments to bolster its case for 15 stories in this letter:

https://media.bizj.us/view/img/11323838/hotel-indigo.pdf

The proposal calls for historic facade to be preserved and incorporated along with a street level event center, a rooftop bar, and a new restaurant space along Printers Alley.

More from the letter:

The Project will allow Applicant to rework the 315/235 Building’s first floor to activate the Printers Alley elevation. Specifically, the Printers Alley side of the 315/235 Building will be improved by installation of new wall wash lights; expansion of existing windows with retractable doors which open into the alley; installation of up-lights to highlight upper windows; installation of new pavement and planters; and the addition of Printers Alley signage at the Union Street corner. This will activate and create a pedestrian friendly environment at the Union Street end of Printers Alley, including a Printers Alley pedestrian entrance to the hotel restaurant. The pre-function event space frontage on 3rd Avenue will also engage and improve that streetscape.

Metro's Historic Zoning Commission has suggested 10 stories, but Winston claims that reduction in room count would make the project economically unfeasible.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/05/20/high-rise-addition-could-nearly-double-boutique.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Indigo Hotel expansion, May 20, 2019, site.png

If this facade was left as is, I am fine with the addition. However, it appears they want to change it. WHY?

• Like 1

Does the Hotel Indigo portion of the property not already include the Printer's Alley frontage?    It certainly appears to.     The Nashville Trust building appears to be just the two-story portion fronting 3rd Ave.     

I would love to see the Printer's Alley side activated, but it looks like the Hotel could do that now if they wanted to.    

image.thumb.png.15c2972fcc11b0ec70796d9818af7d54.png

image.png.20331373be5b57bb2145ac0345c30986.png

• Like 4

On 5/20/2019 at 3:16 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Two words.....HELL NO!

IF they really embellish the facade to compliment the existing structure and the current Indigo building, then I am ok with it. If it will not look any better than the rendering, then I agree with your sentiment 100%

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On 6/7/2019 at 12:25 PM, Armacing said:

I usually like the concept of building modern buildings over historic buildings in order to bring new life and importance to an old building.  They should preserve the old buildings underneath as much as possible (with some interior refurbishments) and not feel obligated to make the addition look like part of the Historic building.  I think the Port of Antwerp headquarters building is one of the best examples of this approach that I have seen.

Serpentine-Sackler-Gallery-Zaha-Hadid-Ar

I would argue that the Hearst Tower in New York is a better (read: more widely palatable) example of this. Granted, the original building was built as the base for a tower that never came to fruition so the notion of adding a tower on top of it was not completely out of left field.  

hearst-tower_hearst-corporation1.jpg

Edited by NashWellington11
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/7/2019 at 3:16 PM, NashWellington11 said:

I would argue that the Hearst Tower in New York is a better (read: more widely palatable) example of this. Granted, the original building was built as the base for a tower that never came to fruition so the notion of adding a tower on top of it was not completely out of left field.  

hearst-tower_hearst-corporation1.jpg

Different for the sake of being different. Odd looking at best. Am glad Indigo expansion is keeping the old facade. It is far superior to the remake.

• Like 1