St. Paul’s Transit Center (Completed)

BeagleAccountant

The city council retreat is underway. Ryan Murphy of The Pilot is live tweeting from it. There is a lot of development discussion and focus in here to unpack. I am pretty new here but one development I may have missed or have never seen mentioned is a senior living development next to the fire station.

Here is the first post of the thread;

And here's the post referencing the senior living development;

• Like 1

Is it this one that was mentioned in another thread?

• St. Paul's Transit Center at the southwest corner of Fenchurch Street and Wood Street. The Franklin Johnston Group, in partnership with Brinshore, proposes to build approximately 105 apartments. They are not on an agenda yet and are still working on design issues. They may be on the January agenda.

6 hours ago, 23320 said:

Is it this one that was mentioned in another thread?

• St. Paul's Transit Center at the southwest corner of Fenchurch Street and Wood Street. The Franklin Johnston Group, in partnership with Brinshore, proposes to build approximately 105 apartments. They are not on an agenda yet and are still working on design issues. They may be on the January agenda.

That's probably it. Some of the developments from Brinshore don't look too bad. Very urban.

http://brinshore.com/our-developments/

On 2/24/2019 at 1:16 AM, Norfolk757Kid said:

This project actually looks similar to St. Paul's too: http://brinshore.com/dev/legends-south/

If Norfolk wants to build housing, I think this is the look they should go for, although I think they could use a few more exterior details. This has an urban look that you see in cities like NY, Chicago, and Philly. It also compliments neighborhoods on the outskirts of downtown, like Freemason and Ghent.

Meanwhile, it looks like there's a proposal to official name this the St. Paul District at tomorrow night's meeting.

III. Request: To create the Downtown - Saint Paul's (D-SP) District to allow the implementation of the Saint Paul's Transformation Plan.

IV. Applicant: City Planning Commission

V. Description:
• In 2014 the City and NRHA submitted, and Housing and Urban Development (HUD) approved, the St. Paul's Transformation Plan (Plan).
• The Plan focuses on the following elements: o Neighborhood improvement strategies
• Improving the street grid to replace super blocks and connect streets east and west across St. Paul's Boulevard
•Provide more appropriate street widths

■ Realign Church Street

■ Replace Stormwater and infrastructure system as needed
• Re-excavate, uncover and restore portions on Newton Creek allowing for a "greenway/blueway" with recreational opportunities

■ School reorganization
• Development of a HUB to serve people in the community to act as a social, commercial and community facility along Church Street

https://www.norfolk.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/4804?fileID=9516

Edited by BFG
  • Like 3

That housing is an eyesore that accumulates and concentrates poverty. It's an outdated concept, it's time has come and gone. The better trend today is towards mixed income development and that is the direction that Norfolk is proceeding in. There would be no point in keeping any portion of the current housing, it needs to be torn down and removed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 12:32 PM, vdogg said:

It’s on the design review docket. I didn’t link to it because there’s nothing there other than that description. No links to any design documents.

Block 19 is at 501 Wood Street, right next to the Fire Station. This project is listed in the City Planning meeting agenda for April, you can find the submitted docs there.;

https://www.norfolk.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/4862?fileID=9620

Screenshot_20190314-131938~4.png

Screenshot_20190314-132016~2.png

Screenshot_20190314-132034~2.png

Edited by BeagleAccountant
Clarity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • vdogg pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...

I'm not sure if this is the same project, since WAVY said it was Block 20 instead of Block 19. But last night the ARB reviewed but did not vote on a project that looks very similar. Greg Rutledge, Chair of the ARB, is not a fan;

“I would love to see people come bring us designs that doesn’t look like it’s coming from Virginia Beach or coming from an apartment complex in Virginia Beach and plopping it down in downtown Norfolk"

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/review-board-members-say-initial-building-plans-for-new-public-housing-look-more-virginia-beach-than-norfolk/

Edited by BeagleAccountant
It's early. I need coffee.
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, BFG said:

(rubs eyes)

Who are these Architectural Review people, and what have they done with the old fuddy-duddies who like boring, suburban architecture?

There has to have been a significant turnover. Between designs for high rises significantly improving AFTER they’ve gone through ARB to this, there is definitely a new sheriff in town. I’m really liking what I’ve been seeing from them of late.

• Like 1

Honestly, the proposed renderings look like most other apartment developments being built in Charlotte, Austin, Nashville, etc (except for the high-rise buildings obviously). I would hate to loose housing options/density over nit-picky aesthetic issues. If there were 10 buildings like this, maybe, but this is just one. It's not like buildings are being proposed all over the place. Would be better though if there were a different parking scenario. Might add too much cost for an integrated parking garage.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Brinshore is trying to redevelop this whole area by themselves.  The November 14th planning commission meeting has the following listed on the docket;

"BRINSHORE DEVELOPMENT (Applicant) Rezoning, conditional use permit and a development certificate 
to allow the construction of a multi-family apartment community development with 120 dwelling units at 450 Posey Lane"

1 minute ago, BeagleAccountant said:

Looks like Brinshore is trying to redevelop this whole area by themselves.  The November 14th planning commission meeting has the following listed on the docket;

"BRINSHORE DEVELOPMENT (Applicant) Rezoning, conditional use permit and a development certificate 
to allow the construction of a multi-family apartment community development with 120 dwelling units at 450 Posey Lane"

Hmm, I don’t know if I like this. Multiple developers need to be involved in this process. The last thing we need is a wall of uninspiring, cheaply made, apartment blocks downtown. Things need to progress more organically than this.

• 3 months later...

Tonight's Work Planning session brought up Blocks 19 (senior housing, corners of Wood and Posey Ln.) and 20 (mixed-use with commercial on the ground floor, corners of Wood and Church St.). Both designs are more of the same; long four-story buildings, with an open plaza facing Church Street. But, I do like Block 20's design. Really like it. The planning director hopes to break ground within the next year, and move-in ready by 2022. That presentation starts around the 30:30 mark.

That said, I just want one high-rise. An all-glass, 30-story building with retail on the ground floor. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 12.01.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 11.58.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 12.01.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 11.58.40 PM.png

• Like 1