St. Paul’s Transit Center (Completed)

BeagleAccountant

The whole St Paul's project is a huge missed opportunity to increase the footprint of DT. They had a "do over" where they could build a better DT and not make the same mistakes of the previous administrations.

Up until this point I see nothing but failure. The proposed plan? Fail. This mess above...Fail!! 

Edited by Willy18
  • Like 2

Come on now guys they aren't that bad. I mean all the projects they've announced so far have their issues but if they just added 10-20 floors to each, completely redesigned them, got rid of the surface parking, and added retail to each they wouldn't be that bad.

Edited by Urbanlooker
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

I am fine with these. At least they add some density and infill some empty blocks, which I feel is what the market can bare at the moment. 

Honestly I'm fine with the infill too however, these, at least to me, seem very suburban. If they were more on par with what you see down Monticello Ave. by the Chik-fil-a with parking structures and add some retail to it I would be completely happy with it.

Edited by Urbanlooker

1 hour ago, Urbanlooker said:

Honestly I'm fine with the infill too however, these, at least to me, seem very suburban. If they were more on par with what you see down Monticello Ave. by the Chik-fil-a with parking structures and add some retail to it I would be completely happy with it.

I agree. Structured parking and retail would be better. I don't really get the suburban vibe. I like the brick and the art/sculpture.

Short of the surface parking, this actually looks like a very attractive and urban apartment to me. 

Infill designs in Norfolk seem to be getting better. No need to get hung up on height. Many great cities are low rise, dense, and beautiful. No reason Norfolk can't be that one day. Walkability and connectivity is more important than height.

Edit: Looking at the orientation, the surface parking lot is facing the bus terminal. It won't interact with the walkable streets in the area. That's more than acceptable.

Edited by mistermetaj
  • Like 4

I think once the city builds up the city blocks, we'll see something here. I see a lot of Block 20 designs in cities like DC and LA.

I'd rather have the four-story apartments than the three-story townhouses that have taken over Virginia Beach and Chesapeake.

• Like 2

I've been very vocal that I'm disgusted by this approach but oh well.

But what I do not like about the renderings is the 4-lane road.. anyone notice that in two of the pictures? I thought it was some talk about getting rid of that in DT. I definitely wouldn't want blocks that wide in this development. Perhaps its the main road or something? Seems less walkable with 4-lane roads.. especially if they redeveloped the grid in some fashion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Virginian-Pilot discusses this project. A couple of notes that are new to me, we're getting some ground floor retail on Church Street and construction will start in 2021 for completion in 2022.

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-norfolk-st-paul-redevelopment-first-buildings-20200210-rxmo4epzibafdkgwskxdutcozi-story.html

• vdogg changed the title to St. Paul’s Transit Center (Under Construction)
  • 7 months later...
3 hours ago, mistermetaj said:

Hey all, apologies for the bump in this thread, but does anyone/could take some progress photos for block 19 and 20?

Not much progress on the buildings yet. They're still doing a lot of site work realigning the street grid.

The groundbreaking ceremony plans to celebrate the start of the construction for buildings 19 and 20 on April 19th, 2022, from 2pm to 3:30 pm pm at St. Paul’s Redevelopment site. Combined, the buildings contain 190 units, with an income mix of replacement, affordable, and market-rate units. All are welcome to attend, and invitations will be sent out directly to the SPAC members next 
https://d15db208-798a-4866-8806-f4fe4705eb73.usrfiles.com/ugd/d15db2_634dbfe64fd944d7aa6ef4eac62820c2.pdf

https://www.pilotonline.com/opinion/columns/vp-ed-column-filer-jackson-0417-20220416-w3oln43pirey5pnq3ijhw3gkoa-story.html

• Like 4

• 11 months later...