CATS Transit Center (CTC) Site Redevelopment

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/06/06/mixed-use-development-proposal-submitted-for.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

Wanted to create a thread for one of the most transformative sites in Charlotte.  Could this thing be moving quickly with an RFP/RFI just a formality. BB&T/SunTrust?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/06/06/mixed-use-development-proposal-submitted-for.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

Wanted to create a thread for one of the most transformative sites in Charlotte.  Could this thing be moving quickly with an RFP/RFI just a formality. BB&T/SunTrust?

This could never be Suntrust. This would be at least a 5 year play. 

Way too intricate of a plan. I'd imagine the developer will be stuck building a bus shelter, and a temporary one will need to be constructed probably in 1st ward.

Edited by Guest

^Color me skeptical that any conservative financial institution would want to be saddled with a transportation center at any period in time. Isn’t this why the CTC was built here in the first place? Because NB/BofA didn’t want to mix with the hoi polloi? Yeah, it’s not 1995 anymore, but I just don’t see it. Please tell me I’m wrong. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra

10 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

^Color me skeptical that any conservative financial institution would want to be saddled with a transportation center at any period in time. Isn’t this why the CTC was built here in the first place? Because NB/BofA didn’t want to mix with the hoi polloi? Yeah, it’s not 1995 anymore, but I just don’t see it. Please tell me I’m wrong. 

I could see a myriad of uses. Its about as A+ of a location as it gets in this day and age. Trade Street Frontage, beside the arena, beside epicenter, near the government district, a block or two from BofA. And crap, FNB is basically beside a massive substation, wedged into a big ugly deck. Uptown is open season now.

Edited by Guest

I mentioned in the LU thread about Salesforces Transit Center. There is nothing shameful about being near it as a company. It's a tourist attraction one, bus station two in my opinion. If the CTC redesign is tasteful, it will be viewed as a perk, not a con. Build it with interesting architecture/character and you (help) remove the negative stigma of a bus transit center. Would like to see a platform plaza at CTC station like at Stonewall Station and better connectivity from the Goldline to CTC station since it's basically going to be a transfer to gateway station.

• Like 3

That image is a pipe dream from the cccp 2020 vision plan. Something will happen once North Tryon really gets going. The Little Sugar Creek Greenway came from the 2010 plan. Stonewall development came from the 2020 plan. We shall see, it all comes down to money and the city willing to relocate/rethink transit station options.

The block over is a surface parking lot owned by NC Railroad company and with this parcel the transit center could be a huge catalyst.  Depends on who the developer is that could get this done.  A Cousins yes, Lincoln Harris yes, a Hines yes (they did the Salesforce Tower in SanFran)    We all know this is very underused property.  Why not move the bus transfer center up to Meck county property on 9th (hal marshall blocks) so it would better connect to both the Silver line and Blue line LYNX trains and completely redevelop this site.  This is prime property 1 block from Bank of America corporate offices, the Ritz, across from the arena.    I remember when this was built and I could have sworn they said at the time this is would be an interim facility but maybe I am wrong and that was long before LYNX. 

• Like 3

For those who may not recall or who had no opportunity to create a memory to recall, before the current transit center all bus transfers up/down town were at the square. Buses loaded and unloaded at that intersection and people waited there and a few made useless attempts to ask for change for a fare from businesses at the square. Waiting in the summer sun for a bus was a Charlotte semi-occupation. The same as in 1910, 1920 and onward. This transit center relocated that activity and gave shelter and food and drink options for riders. The Lynx connection was a fortuitous adjunct to the transit center some years later. The growth of Charlotte with no grid or clear crosstown connections made central Charlotte connections necessary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This could never be Suntrust. This would be at least a 5 year play. 

Way too intricate of a plan. I'd imagine the developer will be stuck building a bus shelter, and a temporary one will need to be constructed probably in 1st ward.

I want it to be Suntrust/BB&T.

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Something tells me after this initial burst, this thread will go dormant for quite some time lol. Hope I’m wrong 

I don't think you are wrong. Its city related. I definitely think its 5 years before this is even shovel ready. But I'd like to think we have pretty pictures before then. And I'm here for the pretty pictures.

7 minutes ago, Dale said:

I predict that three years from now it will begin to look more and more like a recession might occur the next year or so.

I hope you're wrong, but that's somewhat my concern too, however with the pace of growth Charlotte is seeing, I'm by no means suggesting we are recession proof, but we need to acknowledge that if ANYTHING a recession might accelerate people's migration to the QC, IE, need for this kind of development, and therefore sustained capital to make it happen. My biggest fear would be in that situation that a half hearted attempt would be made, with VE all around, potentially stifling what has the potential to be a world class project that not only people will admire, but envy. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

I hope you're wrong, but that's somewhat my concern too, however with the pace of growth Charlotte is seeing, I'm by no means suggesting we are recession proof, but we need to acknowledge that if ANYTHING a recession might accelerate people's migration to the QC, IE, need for this kind of development, and therefore sustained capital to make it happen. My biggest fear would be in that situation that a half hearted attempt would be made, with VE all around, potentially stifling what has the potential to be a world class project that not only people will admire, but envy. 

dont feed the troll

3 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Something tells me after this initial burst, this thread will go dormant for quite some time lol. Hope I’m wrong 

I hope you’re wrong too but I felt the need to create a new thread for this one and hope it’s more the LU pace of development than Levineland or the time it took to get Epicentre built and finished LOL.

I think this will be a confluence of many different issues allowing the reclaiming of this space.  First, read this article about Rock Hill.  Having used the Transportation center many times, the fumes can be a problem.  A fleet of electric busses would go a long way to eliminate that.  Second, with the rollout of the Silver Line, we would have a platform of cross rail trails.  Suburban bus service could be relegated to a feeder system for the rail lines. Sure, multiple transfer points will be needed but that is manageable.  This will become a central point in a broader people moving system.  I think all available parcels along the rail line will sprout towers and in essence become a new "main street".

I’ve hoped to see this redeveloped for a long time.  This site is an Achilles Heel in Uptown.

I’d like to see it developed in a U-shape with residential and a high-end hotel (e.g., Mandarin, Peninsula, Waldorf, etc.) with very nice retail at the base.   In the center of the U could be a beautiful plaza like Rockefeller Center or the Place Vendome.

• Confused 1