CATS Transit Center (CTC) Site Redevelopment

47 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

What is the point of having a small dream?

and of course across the street plays a NBA team that a Phoenix sportswriter said the only franchise Charlotte would get is a McDonalds.  Now no McDonalds uptown but a NBA team! (and of course plenty of MickeyD's too in the metro area)  I believe this site will require a developer with extensive experience in this and they are out there I would suggest Hines out of Houston who developed this project in San Fran.    https://www.hines.com/properties/salesforce-tower-san-francisco

This town was built on big dreams! 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2019 at 10:59 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

Ok kids. 

The last boom boom wasn’t like the current. These towers are being built WITH anchor tenants and they are office towers.

Austin and Nashville are predominately residential/hospitality. We are heavily office dominated.

towers that stalled were 210 Trade, 300 South Tryon (residential tower), citaden, morehead condos, 12 hotel, Birkman, etc etc. all residential and hospitality 

The good news is office often leads to growth in retail/residential/hospitality. It doesnt usually occur the other way around.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

we probably need to move this discussion about the CTC redevelopment over here as this may be a long process.   From Twitter tonight from Business Journal's Ashley Fahey

White Point confirmed in a statement late today that it is working with an undisclosed partner on its acquisition this spring as well as the proposal for CTC, submitted after the call for offers by CATS last month.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

This undisclosed partner is the most interesting part of this yet, simply because the undisclosed partner leaves reason to dream about what this could be or grow into.

I wonder if anyone can offer their educated opinion on this? I think it's early enough to still toy with speculation.

12 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

I wonder if anyone can offer their educated opinion on this? I think it's early enough to still toy with speculation.

The #1 Fortune 500 company, Walmart, moving its corporate headquarters and its technology division to the 704 /s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had somewhat thought or thought I heard that CTC might get coordinated with the railroad parcel across 4th.  I'm seeing this RFP is purely for the CTC block, but hopefully any developer does do their best to integrate properly with Epicenter and plan for mezzanine connectivity to whatever goes on the railroad block eventually. 

As much as the wavy photo of a newspaper feels very 2019, here are the links to the web versions :)

https://charlottenc.gov/DoingBusiness/Lists/Solicitations/Attachments/1020/NOTICE of Unsolicited Proposal 269-2019-1121.pdf

https://charlottenc.gov/DoingBusiness/Pages/SolicitationDetails.aspx?ID=1020

In a weird way, I have this feeling like it is the perfect opportunity to shift all the buses to the Gateway station so that Greyhound and all buses can be there, slightly closer to 77, and just sell the block outright and use the funds to further expand the Greyhound block of CGS.    But assuming this is a non-starter, here is hoping they come up with a good plan to integrate a bus level with the development.    I am slightly skeptical, but hopefully the market can find a way.   

18 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Looks like it’s being reported in the CBJ that BPR Partners (Developer of Moxy Hotel) was the original unsolicited bidder.  Anyone know if they do quality mixed use developments?

they do not, highway interchange hotels and far flung suburban strip centers

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Dang - You (or anyone else) know if the other White Point Partners Bid or Cresent Communities Bid would be any better?  I’m more asking which of those three are the better proven mixed use developer?

Crescent is the only proven mixed-use developer, with experience doing something bigger than a hotel or suburban apartment community. 

That said a month is not a very long amount of time to come up with a proposal that is actually solvent. Just think of this as the 401k of proposals. Its good to know you have this, but maybe don't pay too much attention to it for the next few years. 

Edited by Guest

56 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Looks like it’s being reported in the CBJ that BPR Partners (Developer of Moxy Hotel) was the original unsolicited bidder.  Anyone know if they do quality mixed use developments?

If they're doing Moxy, and I think we're mostly in agreement that it looks pretty promising, then maybe this might be their breakout moment? I think Charlotte is a good place for developers to experiment, which can be good and bad. The good news is that at least we will get to see Moxy done before the wrecking ball even starts swinging. I don't mean to sound too passe, I've gotten to the point where I'm willing to tolerate some surface lots to wait on something worthwhile instead of something that will just get rid of them. Charlotte has passed the time when existing structures will be razed for new surface parking, so my patience for the old ones has actually marginally increased. 

• Like 1

from an update Business Journal story sounds like White Point Partners and their unknown partner were working on something before the hotel group make their bid triggering the bid process. 

I agree Crescent could pull off a great mixed use project but so could WPP and this mysterious partner.   I think I mentioned it before Hines out of Houston could something spectacular there for they did in San Fran. 

• Like 1

from an update Business Journal story sounds like White Point Partners and their unknown partner were working on something before the hotel group make their bid triggering the bid process. 
I agree Crescent could pull off a great mixed use project but so could WPP and this mysterious partner.   I think I mentioned it before Hines out of Houston could something spectacular there for they did in San Fran. 

WPTP, it’s not Hines. Needs to be TP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry if I’m being a negative Nancy about this prospective project, it’s just not the people id want controlling the fate of this block. Crescent is cool with me, but still would rather wait til the next cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

something needs to happen with this transit center as this is not the first time this has happened.

from Fox46 twitter 

CMPD Just confirmed the bus driver was shot multiple times. She is in the hospital now. The suspect was apprehended nearby without incident. This was a domestic dispute

EAGSqFGXkAEzlgk.jpg

• Sad 7

11 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

something needs to happen with this transit center as this is not the first time this has happened.

from Fox46 twitter 

CMPD Just confirmed the bus driver was shot multiple times. She is in the hospital now. The suspect was apprehended nearby without incident. This was a domestic dispute

EAGSqFGXkAEzlgk.jpg

If its a domestic dispute, this has nothing to do with the location or safety of the transit center.

• Like 4