Spectrum Health's new "consolidated offices" HQ's

GRDadof3

On 2/20/2021 at 3:13 PM, Cookin_peacocks said:

So the Gill lot will be a ramp? And that's it?

I don't think that's right, but I'm a little confused about the geography of this project.  At the four corners of Bond and Fairbanks, there are:

• Southwest corner: Brassworks Building and surface lot. The Brassworks will be expanded (to fill the surface lot?)
  • Southeast corner - one story industrial building. Is this part of the project? Is this where the parking garage will go?
  • Northeast corner - Gill building. This will be replaced by the new HQ building, right? And also a parking garage?
  • Northwest corner - Embassy Suites. Not part of the project. 

I'm also wondering what will happen to the vacated-but-still-physically-there block of Fairbanks between Bond and Monroe. 

6 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

I don't think that's right, but I'm a little confused about the geography of this project.  At the four corners of Bond and Fairbanks, there are:

• Southwest corner: Brassworks Building and surface lot. The Brassworks will be expanded (to fill the surface lot?)
  • Southeast corner - one story industrial building. Is this part of the project? Is this where the parking garage will go?
  • Northeast corner - Gill building. This will be replaced by the new HQ building, right? And also a parking garage?
  • Northwest corner - Embassy Suites. Not part of the project. 

I'm also wondering what will happen to the vacated-but-still-physically-there block of Fairbanks between Bond and Monroe. 

I think it's all been flipped upside down with the purchase of Brassworks (and COVID). AFAIK a lot of the space that was going to be built is now going to be absorbed by Brassworks. They're still building an additional building (or add-on) next to Brassworks. I think the property along bond will be parking? I'm concerned that they'll bulldoze the neighborhood and forego a parking ramp (or build a parking ramp and nothing else). 

Joe

On 2/22/2021 at 4:59 PM, joeDowntown said:

I think it's all been flipped upside down with the purchase of Brassworks (and COVID). AFAIK a lot of the space that was going to be built is now going to be absorbed by Brassworks. They're still building an additional building (or add-on) next to Brassworks. I think the property along bond will be parking? I'm concerned that they'll bulldoze the neighborhood and forego a parking ramp (or build a parking ramp and nothing else). 

Joe

Did they end up closing on the Gill building? Spectrum isn't owned by the Ilitches, so I don't see them tearing that down for a giant surface parking lot. But if they're not planning on building much (or any) additional space other than the Brassworks addition, then the Gill property isn't that useful to them. The building isn't really usable as office space, and the lot is too big to be just a parking garage.  I guess I could see them building the parking garage on the southern half and surface parking on the northern half, with an eye to building on the surface lot portion when their space needs inevitably increase again. 

15 minutes ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

Did they end up closing on the Gill building? Spectrum isn't owned by the Ilitches, so I don't see them tearing that down for a giant surface parking lot. But if they're not planning on building much (or any) additional space other than the Brassworks addition, then the Gill property isn't that useful to them. The building isn't really usable as office space, and the lot is too big to be just a parking garage.  I guess I could see them building the parking garage on the southern half and surface parking on the northern half, with an eye to building on the surface lot portion when their space needs inevitably increase again. 

Are we talking about the same Spectrum? That bought up everything from Sixth Street to Bond and is building just about everywhere? :)

Yeah, they closed on the Gill building. And I'm sure it's going to be knocked down. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I think they'll find a way to turn a lot of that area into a commuter lot. Which is a shame, because some of the parcels they snatched up could have been great development sites.

Joe

3 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Are we talking about the same Spectrum? That bought up everything from Sixth Street to Bond and is building just about everywhere? :)

Yeah, they closed on the Gill building. And I'm sure it's going to be knocked down. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I think they'll find a way to turn a lot of that area into a commuter lot. Which is a shame, because some of the parcels they snatched up could have been great development sites.

Joe

Difference between Spectrum and Ilitch is when Spectrum buys entire blocks, they usually build something on them.  The Ilitches just clear them for event parking. But I could see the "logic" of making the Gill site remote parking for the hill. It's closer than their current remote parking. Will we need to bring back "DASH to the Hill?"