Jump to content

Spectrum Health's new "consolidated offices" HQ's


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

InnovaLab would be willing to host a lunch and learn at our modular townhouse project on the 700 Block of Bates if UP folks wanted to learn about modular construction.  Just say the word.  

It's posted internally, so safe to share!  I'm getting 1200 new neighbors.

That makes me a bit nervous. The city needs to be insistent early that Spectrum isnt going to get approval for surface lots in N. Monroe.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Does anyone remember when this thread was about the new Spectrum Health HQ :D

The what and who now? J/K, not that I have anything to add of value, but I am still super excited for the potential mini-boom to Monroe North area. Always fun to see new development.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 7:56 AM, grandrollerz said:

If i was able to get a meeting with the strategic facilities planner about this project, would any of you strangers on the internet whom I've never met in real life, want to get together for a meeting to review plans??

Just bumping this post since this is what got everyone talking about Lunch & Learns.  @grandrollerz I think the answer to your question is "Yes."

Edited by RegalTDP
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

So it looks like this won't be able to happen until closer to June. Something about "our board of directors should see it first" yadda yadda... :-)

As soon as it's able to be discussed, I'll be getting something on the books.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T, C738T) using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grandrollerz said:

So it looks like this won't be able to happen until closer to June. Something about "our board of directors should see it first" yadda yadda... :-)

As soon as it's able to be discussed, I'll be getting something on the books.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T, C738T) using Tapatalk
 

Nice! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/spectrum-health-continues-land-acquisition-in-gr-s-monroe-north-district

Looks like Spectrum is buying more than just the two Gill properties.  Anyone have any additional information they can share?

I just hope they don't pull a St. Mary's and just put surface lots there..... not exactly cheap properties....

73e73c4ec7f42dd4fd33d95fc483a653_XL.thumb.jpg.efffdb00b0c43c14876b8e516f7f655f.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Floyd_Z said:

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/spectrum-health-continues-land-acquisition-in-gr-s-monroe-north-district

Looks like Spectrum is buying more than just the two Gill properties.  Anyone have any additional information they can share?

I just hope they don't pull a St. Mary's and just put surface lots there..... not exactly cheap properties....

73e73c4ec7f42dd4fd33d95fc483a653_XL.thumb.jpg.efffdb00b0c43c14876b8e516f7f655f.jpg

Whoa they bought that CWD warehouse by the Bond apartments.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I hope they don’t ward off all private development by snapping up all of the land (and even worse, add a bunch of surface lots). I was really hoping that the area would become a dense neighborhood full of infill. It’s concerning. 

Joe

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

EARLY information I've heard is that there might be a smaller surface lot space fronting the new training portion of the building.  Or maybe that's technically the back since the front is on Monroe?  But it's going to be event and/or our primary learning campus so lots of classrooms, simulation labs and conference facilities for people traveling from other locations.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2020 at 2:29 PM, grandrollerz said:

EARLY information I've heard is that there might be a smaller surface lot space fronting the new training portion of the building.  Or maybe that's technically the back since the front is on Monroe?  But it's going to be event and/or our primary learning campus so lots of classrooms, simulation labs and conference facilities for people traveling from other locations.   

Which portion is the training facility? East or West of Bond? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering if Spectrum is maybe looking to add more to their hospitality.  I think a lot more people from the west side of the state and UP come to GR for long term care than people realize.  Maybe that or long term/short term employee housing?  Maybe it's a stretch on both?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, grandrollerz said:

Housing security is very important. If you Google Social Determinants of Health, you'll see it is the new hotness for health systems. And it makes sense.  You need to keep people out of the hospital, and lifestyle factors play a huge role in health. 

 

I'm afraid that Bond is going to become the "service street" for that neighborhood with Ottawa and Monroe having any kind of life to them. I guess that happens when you're taking an industrial park and trying to re-build into something entirely new. 

Anyone have the old master plan for Monroe North handy? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm afraid that Bond is going to become the "service street" for that neighborhood with Ottawa and Monroe having any kind of life to them. I guess that happens when you're taking an industrial park and trying to re-build into something entirely new. 

Anyone have the old master plan for Monroe North handy? 

Man, I took a walk in NoMo yesterday and Bond sucks.  The cars parked and dumpsters on the west side of the street force you to walk in the street.  It really needs to be redone with curb and gutter, sidewalks and proper metered parking.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Man, I took a walk in NoMo yesterday and Bond sucks.  The cars parked and dumpsters on the west side of the street force you to walk in the street.  It really needs to be redone with curb and gutter, sidewalks and proper metered parking.

Yes, Bond is barely a street. Not sure if it ever had curbs and gutters. Seems to be a leftover from the early 1900's. :P I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Spectrum will use TIF to have the city completely rebuild it, even if it doesn't have any street level activity planned.  Maybe the pedestrian connector to the MSU campus will FINALLY be made under 196. 

Back in the old days when the Rapid did the streetcar study, Bond was used to loop back around for the streetcar. 

In the Monroe North Area Specific Plan, I found this note:

Building Placement. Building placement to establish a continuous street wall and, wherever possible, to bring ground floor activity to the edge of the sidewalk, is a key factor in creating a lively, walkable urban district. The first step in defining recommendations for building placement is to identify those streets where the quality of the pedestrian environment should take precedence over vehicular circulation and off-street parking needs. In the Monroe North district, the Steering Committee recommended that all streets, with the exception of Bond,7 should be considered priority pedestrian streets. The Steering Committee also agreed that:

https://www.grandrapidsmi.gov/files/assets/public/departments/planning-department/files/master-plan/neighborhood-plans-and-projects/monroe-north/monroe-north-asp.pdf

I'm really looking forward to this "mini-charette" or plan review with Spectrum for this project @grandrollerz. Hopefully they're still open to the idea. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...
On 9/29/2020 at 6:59 PM, Floyd_Z said:

Apparently the city may vacate some of Bond to Spectrum, which would be interesting.  Haven't heard any more details about the building though.

This is one of the DT I'm most excited about. I find it all really curious and look forward to seeing the final concept. As far as the vacating of part of Bond - I wonder if that is so that they can build a skywalk over the street? Or some kind of structure that spans over the street to connect buildings? Can't wait to see the final drawings/see it come to fruition! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.