Which southern state has the fastest drivers?

krazeeboi

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, Floridians drive fast. But the citizens of Texas are by far the fastest drivers. If you don't consider Texas "the south" (we've had other threads discussing this) then, yes, Floridians probably drive fastest. Though Alabamaians (Wow - is this a correct saying?) drive pretty damn fast.

Though Alabamaians (Wow - is this a correct saying?) drive pretty damn fast.

Not to nitpick, but you asked about it...I believe the word is Alabaman.

Anyways, GA's driver's in Metro ATL are fast...when the traffic doesn't stop them.

Floridians are the fastest in my experience, though.

Irony:

In ATL, you have some GDOT Rescue vehicles called HERO's. (I'll post what the abbreaviation stands for when I remember it). They are supposed to be like a first response crew to accidents on the Highway.

Yet, I saw a smashed up one being towed yesterday.

Alabamian is the correct term. It's hard to say. More than a result of what state youre from, it's a matter of what metro youre from. Birmingham drivers ride all over alot of rural Alabamians and I'm sure the same is true for Atlanta, Nashville, etc.

Georgians from metro Atlanta without a doubt are the fastest drivers......I drive fast in Charlotte (probably picked it up from living in Atlanta) and typically when I get passed it's someone with a metro Atlanta county license plate.

Georgians from metro Atlanta without a doubt are the fastest drivers......I drive fast in Charlotte (probably picked it up from living in Atlanta) and typically when I get passed it's someone with a metro Atlanta county license plate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ATL....Hands down. I often find myself white knuckled behind the wheel (esp on 285). I think it is because when you have free flowing traffic in ATL (which is rare) people "gun it". They know that if they don't they may face the dreaded parking lot of cars that all ATL freeways are. So when the lanes are free, WATCH OUT !!! :o

i actually like driving through atlanta. i felt right at home doing 90 and going with the flow of traffic. in nashville, it's usually around 80 so it a little harder to get a "rabbit" in front of you. btw, does atlanta actually have speed cameras set up? because i didn't see any police and even in the areas that said that cameras were present, everyone was still doing 90. i'm suprised nashville hasn't gotten cameras yet, our new police chief has really been cracking down on speeders. they've even started using helicopters to catch speeders :angry:

I don't know about the rest of the south but from my experince I would say Atlanta and the 85 corridor between it and Charlotte. I was pertty muched forced to be in the 80 range on my way to Atlanta and suprinsingly it seems Greenville has some of the worst ones. They just fall in love with 85 as it bombs threw town. Also 77 from Charlotte down to Columbia is real speedy espicaly from Rock Hill south. I was passed by people probey doing 90 or a 100 as I was doing 75.

Yea i gotta say in florida if the speed limit is 65mph most people will be doing an average speed 85+mph and thats the slowest nobody goes the speed limit until a cop cars shows its funny cause the cop car passes by or exits the highway and people are at it again and if the cop car is in front going the speed limit its funny also cause there is just a whole bunch of cars behind crammed bumper to bumper going the speed limit. And if someone has those sporty bike expect 100+mph. Also texas isnt far behind they continuosly switch lanes when theyre on the highway.

The worst drivers that I have ever had experience with were Fla drivers.  I've had not one, but two occasions where my parked car was hit by drivers during my visits to the state.    Virgina drivers would be #2.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can the fact that almost everyone in Florida is from SOMEWHERE ELSE be thrown into the equation here? I'm a native of FLA, and yeah, I drive fast on the freeway (usually 10 miles over the limit), but I'm just trying to keep up w/traffic and all those pesky tourists/transplants!

Floridians...But what makes me sick is I'm a fast driver and everyone in the South drives so SLOW like they have nowhere to be...lol...most of my family is from the north and they always pick at that...lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Being able to take things slow is what we southerners take pride in. ;)

I would have to say that Florida has some of the fastest drivers in the south. Driving on any expressway near Miami is scary. People drive extremely fast at all hours down there. Plus, they are pretty fast on the tri-oval at Daytona...

Can the fact that almost everyone in Florida is from SOMEWHERE ELSE be thrown into the equation here? I'm a native of FLA, and yeah, I drive fast on the freeway (usually 10 miles over the limit), but I'm just trying to keep up w/traffic and all those pesky tourists/transplants!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

10 miles over the limit is not considered fast, it is called "keeping from getting run over". Everyone does at least 10 miles over, even when police are present. You aren't going fast until you hit at least 15-20 over the limit. In Tampa everyone does at least 10-20 (or more) miles over the limit on all the interstates. (It is not unusual to be passed while doing 70 in a 55.) And on I-75 between Tampa and Georgia (I'd imagine the rest of the state is the same way), you can forget about going any slower than 80. At that speed you will barely keep up with the semi's.

i dont agree with Florida having the fastest drivers. There are some that go fast but i always seem to get behind slow drivers in Miami. Atlanta has a nice, swift 90 mph pace. Especially on the freeways when not clogged. They will pull you over for going too slow in Atlanta before they get you for going to fast.

Archived