Chains We Really Need In Orlando

Just now, dcluley98 said:

In-n-Out Burger

Acme Oyster House

Mmmm oysters. Not a fan of Orlando’s diviest dive, Lee & Rick’s?

While we’re on seafood, I wish Ted Peters’ from over in St. Pete would open a second place over here with smoked fish.

Norwood’s in NSB used to do it but then they got high-falutin’ and I’ve been jonesing for some smoked mullet ever since.

Lee and Rick's is Okay. Best Oysters I have had in town are at Luke's.  There was a little place in NQ called Two Chefs that was good while it lasted. 

Also, smoked mullet is so Florida.  It is just one of those things that other people don't get.  

One of the best "dives" from my home-town area that is worth a visit:  https://www.starfishcompany.com/starfishcompany/index.html

(definitely not a chain)

Cortez Kitchen is famous too. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Lee and Rick's is Okay. Best Oysters I have had in town are at Luke's.  There was a little place in NQ called Two Chef's that was good while it lasted. 

Also, smoked mullet is so Florida.  It is just one of those things that other people don't get.  

One of the best "dives" from my home-town area that is worth a visit:  https://www.starfishcompany.com/starfishcompany/index.html

(definitely not a chain)

Cortez Kitchen is famous too. 

Road Trip!

1 minute ago, AndyPok1 said:

Whataburger

Raisin Canes

Taco Bueno

Jack in the Box

We had Whataburger once upon a time but it was one of those weird deals like Aldi and Trader Joe’s that are sort of related but sort of not to the ones in Texas. The ones we had were forgettable.

We also had Jack In the Box in the ‘70’s. At the time they were owned by Ralston Purina and seeing the little Checkerboard Square logo on the bottom of the fry boxes was a little scary. Again, I’m told the ones out west are much better than what we got.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

We had Whataburger once upon a time but it was one of those weird deals like Aldi and Trader Joe’s that are sort of related but sort of not to the ones in Texas. The ones we had were forgettable.

Oh I'm aware.  When I was an intern I would stop on my way to/from the airport.    Late night breakfast taquitos?!  Yesss

• Like 1

Wouldn’t mind more Huey Magoos (only one technically in Orlando is near Millenia), a Corner Bakery or similar to put some pressure on Panera to at least try to be average, and I could go for some LaSpadas (the South Florida variety) and Big Daddy Flanagan’s.

• 2 months later...

Here’s a blast from the past: The NY Times posts a video about the rise and fall of H. Salt Fish & Chips.

As I’ve mentioned before, I am a big fan of fast-food seafood. There was an H. Salt at Pine Hills Rd. and Silver Star growing up - it was my first shot at fish and chips.

I didn’t fully appreciate it at the time but the batter was lighter than places like Arthur Treacher’s or, later, LJS and Captain D’s. What I was wild about was the chips, which were made from scratch in the store instead of being frozen. Just Wow.

At the time, I didn’t much like the fact they had no tartar sauce for the fish so I cajoled mom to go to Treacher’s up by the Kmart on W. Colonial.

It was moot, though, as shortly after KFC bought the chain, started taking shortcuts and, before long, it succumbed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/20/opinion/haddon-salt.html

Crate & Barrel is no more? Shows how often I go to the mall. 
I liked the Whataburger in Tallahassee long ago. Caveat, drinking was typically involved before eating there though. 

The Millenia C&B closed roughly a year ago. Apparently Millenia didn’t renew their lease. Hermès opened in that space in the last several months. Now the closest C&B is Tampa.
  • Thanks 1