Events in Orlando

jrs2

• 3 weeks later...

Orlando has been by the US Olympics Committee to host a 2024 US Olympics team trial marathon event.

500 athletes will compete on Feb 3, 2024.

"The event has the potential to generate $10 million-$12 million in economic impact, draw 100,000 spectators and create 10,000 hotel room sales,"

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/11/08/orlando-lands-marquee-u-s-olympics-event-in-2024.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Here’s hoping each of you will have a Happy Thanksgiving this week and don’t forget the first Thanksgiving by European settlers in what came to be known as America was not in Massachusetts but right here in Florida.

And to you @spenser1058! We have reached the stage of life where we get to show up with side dishes at our daughter and son in laws house. So great after 25+ years of hosting and interesting events....like the Thanksgiving I don't remember because my sister and I drank way too much white zinfandel (have not had a glass of wine since). I was nervous because my father in law was in Rotary at Lake Buena Vista and they encouraged members to invite kids from other countries that worked at EPCOT to an American Thanksgiving. My father in law invited 2 girls from Italy because my dad was Italian. I think I was nervous about having strangers to the house and just kept drinking. They were really sweet girls. A fun thanksgiving but my memory of it is dodgy after dessert. The next morning I was certain my dad must've cleaned up the kitchen cause it was sparkling. I thought for sure I was in trouble. Nope! Evidently I did it on automatic pilot.

Then there was the year my husband brought home the 27 pound turkey from his work. (Great Western Meats) He really really likes leftovers. It was frozen when he brought it home. I borrowed the largest pan my sister had and made sure the turkey fit in it. (older wiser me now realizes I should have just bought the big disposable foil pan)

I got up at stupid o'clock and stuffed and wrestled this beast into the oven and noticed that a thawed turkey that large was a tight fit.

A half hour later I noticed some smoke in the kitchen. Whatever juice that was coming out of the turkey was rolling off the turkey and onto the oven floor. :tw_rage: I woke up turkey boy and his solution was to hack off the drumsticks so it fit better in the pan. I can still see me hovering around the surgical site and hearing him say "just go sit down" so I went and sat on the couch I was still waiting for him to move so we could set up a long dining table and had a good cry.  A quick trip to winn dixie for some chicken broth for basting saved that damn bird and we laugh about it every year now.

Yeah, showing up with side dishes and a nice jug of margaritas is definitely the way to go now. :tw_glasses:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• Thanks 1

DOP has announced the date in Dec for Buddy’s State of Downtown speech. It’s a fundraiser for DOP so tickets are required.

Also, Winter Park has announced the February date for the mayor’s State of the City speech. It’s a freebie at the events center.

There’s also a State of the City Luncheon at the Alfond a week later. Tickets are required for that one:

https://bungalower.com/2022/11/21/find-out-the-state-of-two-cities-at-these-upcoming-events/

From Bungalower 

Edited by spenser1058

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking for something that not only sounds entertaining and fun, but it's close by and FREE....?

How about the Florida Municipal Electric Association’s (FMEA) Lineman Competition.

Team-pic-retouched.jpeg?resize=1280,640&

Beginning  at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, March 4th, on a field near the Marriott Orlando Airport Lakeside . the event is free and open to the public.

Made up of five, three-member journeyman squads and eight apprentices entered as individuals, the 23-member team will be competing for trophies and hometown pride under the critical gaze of 50 judges. 

Established in 2001, the Lineman Competition showcases pole climbing, a traditional job skill that’s still necessary but less relied upon as line techs nowadays mostly ascend in bucket trucks. Still, each event simulates challenges line techs face in the real world, except they won’t be working with energized lines.

Specifications for four apprentice events and all five of the journeyman team events are known beforehand, including the competition opening “Mutual Aid Event.” In this event, line techs from different utilities will form three-person teams and work together to safely complete a task in the fastest time and with the fewest faults, or “gigs.” Apprentices also face two other challenges, the “Mystery Event,” the details of which they don’t find out until the day before the competition, and a written exam. 

The competition site will include 101 utility poles, children’s play area, food trucks, stage, and tents. Other competing utilities will contribute equipment and help with the field setup. 

Be there or B².   :thumbsup:

https://oucblog.com/oucs-team-hopes-to-shine-on-home-field/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=sharpspring&sslid=MzM1MDI3MDeyNDK0BAA&sseid=MzI1MjA1NDAxMwcA&jobid=fcb976dd-e36d-4264-ac4b-37bd649e5157  

Edited by JFW657

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This is events, but in Miami.  This guy uses the BL President's Day sale BL had and showcases all these events for the month of March.  This is the type of thing that gets people in seats, whether they are going to Miami or coming to Orlando (using BL).

• 3 weeks later...