"If I had $100 Million"

goodbye

Okay, imagine you were suddenly written a check for $100 million to build anything you want in the Upstate. How would you spend that money and where? This is a fun topic and you can change your mind everyday (I often do myself), so let your imagination go WILD! :D

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My turn to dream today....

I think I would probably do the following:

1) Temporarily move the Greenville News offices and press into another location

2) Raze the old Greenville News Building

3) Build a magnificent tower on the site:

- 30 stories

- Oval-shaped footprint

- Wrapped in Glass

- Terraced to different cascading levels at the 5th, 20th, 25th, and 30th floors

The first 5 floors would be the new home of the Greenville News as well as a museum of sorts (in the lobby of the ground floor) which chronicles the history of the local press in Greenville.

On the exterior of the first five floors would be a giant ticker/tv screen (similar to those in Times Square in NYC) which provides updates from the various news wires.

The ground floor lobby would also have a nice retail out-of-town news shop (similar to the one on Harvard Square in Cambridge, Mass.) right smack dab in the middle of the lobby... and it would carry newspapers and magazines from all around the nation and the world.

I'd also lure Starbucks (newspapers and a good caffeine buzz go hand-in-hand) and an Einstein Brothers / Manhattan Bagel to retail locations on the ground floor.

I'd probably try to find a way to include a small (6-10 screen) movie theatre with stadium seating as well - but if its not possible, no worries.

The 6th through 20th floors would be commercial office space.

The 21st through 25th floors would be office/residences

The 26th through 30th floors would be residential.

A Vertical Marquee would extend 25-50 feet above the 30th floor with a very nice back-lit neon sign announcing the location of the "Greenville News" below.

It would take on an appearance similar to this (yes, I do have a slight "crush" on this building - I know I've referenced it before):

DynetechI_1_.jpeg

How's that for some dreaming? :)

Come to me tomorrow and I may find a different way to spend my money...

Awesome, RT! :w00t: You've got quite an imagination and you're not afraid to let it grow. Kudos for the great pic of Dynetech! I think having and using references is a great method for inspiration. I'll definitely come back to read your other dreams. :D

Cool building, quite futuristic IMO. Traveler, have you missed your calling? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That building is actually being built in Orlando, FL, from what I've read. I just love how it looks. I think it would look great here in Greenville, but it would probably stand out like a sore thumb in Greenville's skyline. :)

Cool building, quite futuristic IMO. Traveler, have you missed your calling? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto. I especially like all of the different uses that you described. The giant screen/ticker is my favorite, but I love all of them.

You are quite visionary.

Archived