Lofts at Front Street (Completed)

Norf Native

I think this is a new one...looks like it would go next to the Front Street Flats building.  It's getting exciting to see some development happening over there. I don't know if any of these renderings represent the building, but if so, it has a slick, modern look........can't wait to see it converted to something mundane and generic!

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 11.18.18 PM.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BFG said:

I think this is a new one...looks like it would go next to the Front Street Flats building.  It's getting exciting to see some development happening over there. I don't know if any of these renderings represent the building, but if so, it has a slick, modern look........can't wait to see it converted to something mundane and generic!

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 11.18.18 PM.png

cool. where'd u spot this?

Not bad....however, I don't see any space for proposed retail on the ground floor fronting front street. I know right now it's not a thriving section of DT/Fort Norfolk but it could if done correctly.

The vacant land between this development and the Army Corp of Engineers has so much potential...I truly can't see why developers haven't jumped all over it.  

8 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Nice. Norfolk needs more waterfront housing options. Between this, River tower and Tarrants Bay, there's some synergy going on in Fort Norfolk.

With the renderings I've seen for that proposed area, it's good to see the ball rolling. It should look really nice in the next 10 years.

Older article about the site in which the broker mentions the possibility of coordinated development with the other vacant parcels (both owned by the McLeskeys).  That family is known to be very patient but hopefully this development encourages them to act.

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/economic-development/article_c0c11c3e-ba49-518e-be40-d2fe2ac18ad1.html

8 hours ago, Willy18 said:

Not bad....however, I don't see any space for proposed retail on the ground floor fronting front street. I know right now it's not a thriving section of DT/Fort Norfolk but it could if done correctly.

The vacant land between this development and the Army Corp of Engineers has so much potential...I truly can't see why developers haven't jumped all over it.  

Still owned by the Army, i believe.

23 hours ago, Willy18 said:

There can be no retail on the ground floor due to the new flood plain restrictions requiring the ground floor to be elevated 5-7 ft above normal. They give a bit more detail in the project description part of the document.

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, NFKjeff said:

Not sure where to put this. I’m over at “The Roebuck” this AM on Front St. and I noticed that the property next door with the “Crofton” cranes has a bunch of concrete piles driven the entire length of the pier and pretty much all over the property. It looks like they are preparing for a large building. Perhaps I missed something. Anyone have any info on what might be going on there?

Front Street Apts. perhaps? Awesome hopefully.

9 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

Not sure where to put this. I’m over at “The Roebuck” this AM on Front St. and I noticed that the property next door with the “Crofton” cranes has a bunch of concrete piles driven the entire length of the pier and pretty much all over the property. It looks like they are preparing for a large building. Perhaps I missed something. Anyone have any info on what might be going on there?

It’s the 2nd phase. I’d honestly completely forgotten about this thread. I’ll pin it.

20170723_123757.png

Bout 8 floors total from the looks of it. I’d be interested to know if the design has changed from the previous approval.

4 minutes ago, vdogg said:

It’s the 2nd phase. I’d honestly completely forgotten about this thread. I’ll pin it.

20170723_123757.png

The Crofton cranes parcel is the Breeden proposal that was announced last year. 

Fort Norfolk has been "the last frontier" for waterfront development. Where's it headed now? - Virginian Pilot 

The phase 2 portion of the Roebuck has new parking lot on it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 23320 said:

The Crofton cranes parcel is the Breeden proposal that was announced last year. 

Fort Norfolk has been "the last frontier" for waterfront development. Where's it headed now? - Virginian Pilot 

The phase 2 portion of the Roebuck has new parking lot on it. 

“Virginia Beach-based developer The Breeden Company wants to build 258 apartments on a 4½-acre site at 533 Front St. The land, once the home for Moon Engineering, is a peninsula with an aging bulkhead that juts into the Elizabeth River. Today, it’s leased by Crofton Diving Company.

The proposal, which was discussed last month at the city’s architectural review board, calls for repairing the shoreline and erecting a five-story apartment building on top of a garage for more than 380 cars. The complex will sit on a concrete podium, raising the lowest apartments to 11 or 12 feet above the flood zone, project leaders said.

Tim Faulkner, chief operating officer of Breeden, said people still want to live by the water, and Fort Norfolk is convenient to two of the most popular sections of the city.

“When you look at it, you have the light-rail station; you have the Elizabeth River Trail; you can walk to downtown, walk to Colley; you have access to Sentara,” he said. “The area is just growing rapidly.”

The Breeden proposal follows the finished Roebuck Lofts at 519 Front St., which converted the vacant Security Storage & Safe Deposit Company Warehouse into about 60 apartments. Renovations at the site retained the distinctive tower sitting on its roof like a top hat.”

It’s the same people building the same type of building as presented in the original proposal. They may have reoriented the structure, but it’s still phase 2.

Edit: Actually it’s not, Monument development did the Roebuck. Now I’m just confused. If Monument isn’t involved with this building then they just got screwed because the building that was to go on the parking lot will have it’s view completely blocked...

4412?fileID=8876

• vdogg pinned this topic
58 minutes ago, BFG said:

I dunno...I kinda like the surprise developments. I remember seeing this one a few months ago, but great to see it resurface.

I recalled seeing it as well. Just went back and it was discussed in August & October in the Norfolk Developments 2 thread. 

At most, I say they've driven 4 test piles. There is no driver on the site right now, it'll probably be a while before they really get underway. There's a lot of demo work that needs to be conducted before they can conduct true construction.

• 2 weeks later...

NORFOLK, Va. – June 25, 2019 – Colliers International’s Norfolk office is pleased to announce the sale of the 4.19-acre parcel at 533 Front Street in Norfolk from Moon Engineering Co. Inc. to The Breeden Company, Inc. for $3.3 million.
Breeden Construction will build the 258 unit, five-story multifamily development with an internal parking garage consisting of 387 dedicated spaces. Breeden Property Management will manage the mixture of studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom residences with stunning views of the Fort Norfolk waterfront with a pedestrian walkway along the Elizabeth River that enhances the boundary of the property along with renovations to the shoreline.

The prime waterfront parcel sits along the Elizabeth River. Once described as the last frontier in Norfolk, the Fort Norfolk area has potential to become a vibrant part of the city and a prominent addition to its waterfront offerings. The master plan shows a mixed-use waterfront neighborhood, rich in character, containing diverse housing and employment options along with supporting uses. The neighborhood is adjacent to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, EVMS, Harbor’s Edge, Children’s Hospital of the Kings Daughters, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the Elizabeth River Trail and other residential offerings.

The master plan also shows improvements to the environment around the historic Fort Norfolk, for which the district is named, including a waterfront park, promenade and anchorage for boats and ships. Streets and walkways will lead to the waterfront, which will remain public and accessible to all.

“This is an ideal development site,” said Ken Benassi, SIOR, senior vice president with Colliers International. “Zoning changes brought some challenges in marketing the parcel, but this announcement will set the pace for the future of this neighborhood.”
Benassi also highlights the site's proximity to employers, downtown Norfolk and the accessibility of public transportation. A park-and-ride for The Tide was built nearby in 2012.

“The complex design structure of the project and the growth potential of the area sparked our interest,” said Timothy A. Faulkner, chief operating officer of The Breeden Company. “We look forward to developing this project in the City of Norfolk and providing an exceptional product to potential residents.”

Moon Engineering Co. Inc. was founded in 1920. William Thomas Sr. moved the company from Norfolk to Portsmouth in 1987. Thomas passed away in 1992, and his sons sold the company to Earl Industries in 2004. Since the late 1980s, the site was leased to Great Lakes Dredge & Dock until it became vacant for the last several years.

About Colliers International Group Inc.
Colliers International (NASDAQ, TSX: CIGI) is a leading global real estate services and investment management company. With operations in 68 countries, our 14,000 enterprising people work collaboratively to provide expert advice and services to maximize the value of property for real estate occupiers, owners and investors. For more than 20 years, our experienced leadership team, owning more than 40% of our equity, have delivered industry-leading investment returns for shareholders. In 2018, corporate revenues were $2.8 billion ($3.3 billion including affiliates), with more than $26 billion of assets under management. Learn more about how we accelerate success at corporate.colliers.com, follow us on Twitter: @Colliers and LinkedIn.

65080353_2427194180673728_6819261198110818304_o.jpg

Edited by zeppelin14
  • Like 2