Ballantyne Village

StevenRocks

Like wine and sushi with your movie? Movie fans near the 2,000-acre Ballantyne development in south Charlotte will be able to see a flick at their neighborhood art and independent cinema by fall. Charlotte's Consolidated Theatres will manage a five-screen, 990-seat theater owned by Sheild Property Co. at Ballantyne Village.

According to the project's developers, an abundance of independent films are being produced, but most mainline cinemas lack the screens to show them along with popular new releases. The aim of the new Ballantyne cinema is to showcase such films, many of which wouldn't nomally be seen in the Charlotte area. The developers say such theaters attract a mixture of sophisticated, intelligent, upscale adults seeking an alternative to the action-film crowds at the megaplex.

The theater will be in a four-story structure with a glass rotunda tower. The third level of the tower will house the theater lobby, to be served by escalators and elevators. Reserved seats will be available, as well as beer, wine and sushi at the concession stand.

I think it's an excellent idea and the location is certianly a good one for the type of operation. It's a reflection of how much south Charlotte has evolved. Ten years ago, it's doubtful anyone would have concieved a theater like this, much less built it.

You can check out the full article at http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/10947139.htm

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like wine and sushi with your movie?  Movie fans near the 2,000-acre Ballantyne development in south Charlotte will be able to see a flick at their neighborhood art and independent cinema by fall.  Charlotte's Consolidated Theatres will manage a five-screen, 990-seat theater owned by Sheild Property Co. at Ballantyne Village.

According to the project's developers, an abundance of independent films are being produced, but most mainline cinemas lack the screens to show them along with popular new releases.  The aim of the new Ballantyne cinema is to showcase such films, many of which wouldn't nomally be seen in the Charlotte area.  The developers say such theaters attract a mixture of sophisticated, intelligent, upscale adults seeking an alternative to the action-film crowds at the megaplex.

The theater will be in a four-story structure with a glass rotunda tower. The third level of the tower will house the theater lobby, to be served by escalators and elevators.  Reserved seats will be available, as well as beer, wine and sushi at the concession stand.

I think it's an excellent idea and the location is certianly a good one for the type of operation.  It's a reflection of how much south Charlotte has evolved.  Ten years ago, it's doubtful anyone would have concieved a theater like this, much less built it. 

You can check out the full article at http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/10947139.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$300/square foot for a condo in Ballentyne. People have got to be getting a little crazy.

$300/square foot for a condo in Ballentyne.  People have got to be getting a little crazy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats a steal. i mean, how great would it be to be able to see carowinds, pineville's comfort inn, the south charlotte sewage plant tower, and have lancaster south carolina all within your viewing distance. right?

thats a steal.  i mean, how great would it be to be able to see carowinds, pineville's comfort inn, the south charlotte sewage plant tower, and have lancaster south carolina all within your viewing distance.  right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The relative merits of why people pay too much for housing just to live in 'the' neghborhood are lost on me, but I prefer to stay out of people's pocketbooks, because they shouldn't be in mine, either.

Let 'em pay too much! Someone's making a living from it! :D

If I could bring this subject a little more on topic...

The fact that someone is acknowledging art films in a city that gets mislabeled as backwater is a great development, whether or not most of us can afford to live in walking distance.

It's part of a natural progression form 'regional power' to 'world-clas city' that trickles down to everyone in the region. If people think Charlotte's a sophisticated, cool place to live, they bring their money with them and pump it into the economy, which produces jobs and growth. Who can fault that?

thats a steal.  i mean, how great would it be to be able to see carowinds, pineville's comfort inn, the south charlotte sewage plant tower, and have lancaster south carolina all within your viewing distance.  right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AND You get a very clear view of Uptown Charlotte as well, and the back of Calvary Church's crown.

I used to love the view of Uptown from the top of the hill on Ballantyne Commons where it crossed Johnston Rd. On a clear night the skyline was perfectly visible, at a distance of 15+ miles.

Though this is way off subject, another cool spot to view the skyline is the hill on NC49 where it crosses Rocky River Rd in Cabarrus County. On a smogless winter day you can see the skyline for a brief moment before geography gets in your way again. Amazing considering how far off that is. Forget viewing it on an ozone action day or really anytime during the summer.

Of course eastern federal is also upping there game in Charlotte in the Indy/art house sector. They already operate the manor theatre which has two dedicated screens for indy/foreign/art house flicks and they are including 8 additional screens dedicated to the same in thier new Elizabeth theatre. The bonus on this project is that it is in a true urban enviroment. The Manor and the new theatre should compliment each other so that the center city area will have ten screens of indy movies.

Of course eastern federal is also upping there game in Charlotte in the Indy/art house sector.  They already operate the manor theatre which has two dedicated screens for indy/foreign/art house flicks and they are including 8 additional screens dedicated to the same in thier new Elizabeth theatre.  The bonus on this project is that it is in a true urban enviroment.  The Manor and the new theatre should compliment each other so that the center city area will have ten screens of indy movies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With both theaters coming on line, it will be a good time to be a fan of indepenedent cinema in the Queen City. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe about the same as looking at the 40 year old Brookshire freeway, the bus maitenance facility, public housing and old warehouses from much of first ward. Save your "sarcastic" comments for SSP.

Though it is too far away for me to attend I think it is great that a place for indie films with wine and sushi is going up. The renderings for it too looked pretty good.

The author is right about many indie films passing by Charlotte. While the Manor theatre has character, it sucks as a place to go watch a movie. The chairs are unconfortable, the projection system noisy and out of date, and I prefer modern stadium seating to the almost flat floor found in the Manor. It really isn't able to support good alternative film in Charlotte.

To correct what I wrote before. Grubb and Eastern Federal's new cinema in Elizabeth will have six arts oriented screens and one mainstream screen. Perhaps with the link between this theatre and The Manor Eastern Federal may consider upgrading the theatre seats to stadium and also upgrading the projection technology. But The Manor's character is great. Didn't Ghazi say the new movie theatre to be built downtown will have some screens dedicated to indy films? Also, don't forget that Park Terrace gets an occasional indy not shown in other theatres in town. Lastly, I heard CPCC is trying to get a film making program off the ground. Perhaps in CPCC's area of Elizabeth Avenue we will see a small theatre dedicated to local and student films? At any rate indy films have certainly been gaining ground in popularity in Charlotte and I for one am certainly excited about that.

I've seen indie films at the old Astor Art Movie theatre in NoDa. (now known as the Neighborhood Theatre I think). And when the Gay & Lesbian Film Festival used to be in operation, they would hold screenings at a very small screening room that was in the basement of one of the buildings downtown (don't remember which),at the Park Terrace Movie Theatre, and at CPCC which has a medium sized screening room.

• 3 months later...

For suburban development, this new mixed-use project sounds encouraging. There's local tenants, an improved design (compared to the original concept) and an attempt to create a community gathering place, albeit for a very upscale community.

The bulk of the development is in an L-shaped single building, sections of which could reach 14 stories. Retail space is on the ground floor, followed by two levels of parking, five stories of office space and five stories of residential condominiums priced at up to $1 million...

Developer George Sheild intentionally targeted local businesses to help fill Ballantyne Village.

"We wanted to go for the deals that have personality and uniqueness in an elegant way," he says...

Check out Ballantyne going up: Mixed-use project is landing high-profile tenants

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just moved from Ballantyne a month ago and stopped hearing any updates on the Village. Last news said that the owner was trying to ink deals with Williams-Sonoma, J Crew, Coldwater Creek, and Charlotte's first Orvis store among others. Anyone have any updates on new retailers?

The construction is really coming along and some small shops are open and the movie theatre should be soon as well, but that is where the "leased" businesses end and the speculation begins on the rest. I am not sure if the Village could justify needing some of these stores with Southpark so close in proximity. Thoughts?

Here is the link to the place again for those unfamiliar: Ballantyne Village

Archived