Ballantyne Village

StevenRocks

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see what they choose to show there.... Will they show political films like Syriana, Good Night and Good Luck? Documentries like Murderball and March of the Penguins? Indy comedies like the Squid and the Whale?

I really don't like the idea of two classes of seating... I guess there's a market for such extravagance, but I hope future theaters (and other public gathering places) don't have "rich" and "other" areas, water fountains, etc. It already happens in sporting arenas and airplanes. To an extent, it carries over into grocery stores, not within each store but which store you shop in -- whole foods/fresh market vs. harris teeter vs. food lion/bi-lo and malls -- southpark vs. carolina place vs. eastland. Is Ballentine served by CATS?

Personally, I think they should have put up a performing arts theatre there. Most of that area is populated by northern(and by northern I mean NY/NJ/ *and* FL) who are coming into lower cost of living with higher salaries and are looking to start enriching themselves with more culture. A live theatre would have been a great venue for this part of town and would attract big $$. Any comments?

That seems to make sense. Much of the cultural investments are downtown in an attempt to gain critical mass and to serve the whole community. In some cases, it is on the few connection that people in Ballantyne have to the central core of the city, as many live, work, and shop out there, and then use 485 to get around. Some might never come near central Charlotte.

It is usually philanthropy of some sort that creates the initial spark for a cultural district. Perhaps Ballantyne's nouveau riche can get some of that going.

That seems to make sense. Much of the cultural investments are downtown in an attempt to gain critical mass and to serve the whole community. In some cases, it is on the few connection that people in Ballantyne have to the central core of the city, as many live, work, and shop out there, and then use 485 to get around. Some might never come near central Charlotte.

It is usually philanthropy of some sort that creates the initial spark for a cultural district. Perhaps Ballantyne's nouveau riche can get some of that going.

I actually think Ballantyne/all of South Charlotte has pretty easy access to center city. There is Johnston Road which turns into Park Road which pretty much takes you there. There is South Boulevard, Providence Road, and Monroe Road too. You can also take Johnston to Carmel to Sharon to Queens to Morehead (whew). Plus there's the highways - people in Ballantyne/South Charlotte really can't use the "it's too hard to get to" excuse, but I think it's healthy to spread these types of things all over the region (certain things like the Mint, Bechtler, etc should be downtown).

By "connection" I meant cultural connection to downtown. Many people I know who live in Ballantyne don't have anything to do with the central part of the city. It is definitely not hard to come downtown or to the original neighborhoods of the city, but many simply have no need or desire to come down. That is probably fine for many people, but it is part of the creation of a city with lesser identity or common cultural basis.

By "connection" I meant cultural connection to downtown. Many people I know who live in Ballantyne don't have anything to do with the central part of the city. It is definitely not hard to come downtown or to the original neighborhoods of the city, but many simply have no need or desire to come down. That is probably fine for many people, but it is part of the creation of a city with lesser identity or common cultural basis.

Ah, I see. Sorry, I misinterpreted what you said.

Anyways, I'm actually the opposite - I know several people in Ballantyne who work downtown that also go there for games, etc. I guess it depends on the person. I'm sure many people live and work in the area and only go downtown on occasion, if ever. It's a shame because there are so many neat little places around East Boulevard, Central, and South End. Oh well, I wish more people would take advantage of these places from more outlying areas...

We really do need someone like Landmark Cinemas to set up shop here. I would love to see them in Elizabeth.

I've been talking about Landmark Cinemas for a while now wanting them to open a Charlotte theatre. Well, as it turns out, I was reading the questions with Lawrence Toppman over at the Observer website and someone asked a question about this theatre. Turns out it's owned by the landlord and will be run by Consolidated which we already knew but he also said it will be booked by Landmark. I think this is great, we now know we are at least on thier radar screen. Hopefully this will lead to a real Landmark Cinema in Elizabeth or somewhere similar.

I've been talking about Landmark Cinemas for a while now wanting them to open a Charlotte theatre. Well, as it turns out, I was reading the questions with Lawrence Toppman over at the Observer website and someone asked a question about this theatre. Turns out it's owned by the landlord and will be run by Consolidated which we already knew but he also said it will be booked by Landmark. I think this is great, we now know we are at least on thier radar screen. Hopefully this will lead to a real Landmark Cinema in Elizabeth or somewhere similar.

That would be so great if Elizabeth lands a Landmark!

Get a "First Look" at the much anticipated Ballantyne Village Theatre Thursday, March 23rd.

The upscale theatre will feature 3 Retro films:

SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE 7:30 p.m.

PULP FICTION 8:00 p.m.

FIGHT CLUB 8:30 p.m.

Admission is $5 (One night only!).

For more information call 704-369-510

Supposedly you will be able to drink wine and order sushi at the consessions. Im not sure if that is the deal for their first look day March 23rd, but should be for the Grand Opening day March24th Friday. I wonder what the cost of regular films will be like?

Heres the Website

Pulp Fiction and Fightclub don't seem to fit their target audience.

That's just for showing the theatre off I guess...

Looking further down the page at showtimes are several films I have never heard of:

Why We Fight (12:10, 2:30, 4:50, 7:20, 9:50)

Tsotsi (11:30, 12:30, 1:40, 3:00, 4:30, 5:30, 7:00, 8;00, 9:30, 10:30)

The C.S.A (12:40, 2:50, 5:10, 7:40, 10:10)

Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story (11:50, 2:00,4:10, 6:40, 9:00)

That's just for showing the theatre off I guess...

Looking further down the page at showtimes are several films I have never heard of:

Why We Fight (12:10, 2:30, 4:50, 7:20, 9:50)

Tsotsi (11:30, 12:30, 1:40, 3:00, 4:30, 5:30, 7:00, 8;00, 9:30, 10:30)

The C.S.A (12:40, 2:50, 5:10, 7:40, 10:10)

Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story (11:50, 2:00,4:10, 6:40, 9:00)

The C.S.A movie trailler was very interesting on their website

• 2 months later...

There are two holes behind the village for those towers, I think they'll build them within the next 5 years.

I dredged up this thread to continue any Ballantyne discussion as the SouthPark thread was veering off track. cltheel.sdl, can you provide an aerial of Ballantyne Village? I'm over there just about every day for lunch (I take the "back street" through the townhouse development to get there) and I gotta tell you, I have specifically looked for any available space on which to place those towers and I've never found anything suitable. There's an RBC bank on one side with townhomes behind it, then the parking deck directly behind the theater and homes behind that, then on the other (Moe's and Smoothie King) end they've begun construction on a 3 story housing project beside the sea of townhomes they finished about a year ago. I just don't see where they're going to go. Are these "holes" hiding in plain sight?

My best guess is that the parking deck is built to support the hi-rise. Like you said, where else could it possibly go? It would be a similar concept to the PARK condos uptown, where they're building on top of the existing parking structure. I wonder what the timeline is for getting a tower at BV - maybe they're gauging interest in the retail, etc. there and letting a buzz build up.

I'm sure it is, and I'd like to see a movie there, but... it's weird, I don't have a problem driving down to B'tyne for work every day, but something about schlepping down there on my free time... Mmm, not really wantin' to do that. I'll cave one day though.

i saw thank you for smoking there a few weeks ago. the theater is really nice. the seating is interesting in that the premium seats do not include what i would consider to be the sweet spot of the theater. i really liked the whole development though, it's looking good.

yeah, Thank you for Smoking was great... I saw it at BV theatre too. The lobby of the theatre is great - they had a guy playing piano in there, couches & tables, etc. There is a pair of "premium seats" in the lobby so you can sit down and try them out there for fun. Real comfy. But you're right, the premium seats are the lower rows...

I dredged up this thread to continue any Ballantyne discussion as the SouthPark thread was veering off track. cltheel.sdl, can you provide an aerial of Ballantyne Village? I'm over there just about every day for lunch (I take the "back street" through the townhouse development to get there) and I gotta tell you, I have specifically looked for any available space on which to place those towers and I've never found anything suitable. There's an RBC bank on one side with townhomes behind it, then the parking deck directly behind the theater and homes behind that, then on the other (Moe's and Smoothie King) end they've begun construction on a 3 story housing project beside the sea of townhomes they finished about a year ago. I just don't see where they're going to go. Are these "holes" hiding in plain sight?

Well, to tell you the truth, the last time I was behind the BV was probably last fall, so maybe they've built something where the holes were. But I could've sworn there were two big clear tracts of land right behind the village. I believe the latest aerials of the area are at least 2 years old, so I doubt that will help.

Archived