Ballantyne Village

StevenRocks

I went to see Brick two days ago, and I ahve to say that the theater is incredible!

I highly suggest checking it out soon!

I went to see Brick there as well on Memorial Day, the Theater was really nice, and the same price points as any other theater. I was going to buy Sushi just for the principal of doing it, but they didn't serve Sushi on weekdays so I opted for a beer and popcorn. You can also buy bottles of wine to bring into the movie theaters. The beers are about what you would pay for at some bars Uptown ($5 for a Heiniken in my case).

I didn't see a lot of people there, so I wonder how well it's doing in sales, seems like rent would be quite exspensive in Ballantyne.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to see Brick there as well on Memorial Day, the Theater was really nice, and the same price points as any other theater. I was going to buy Sushi just for the principal of doing it, but they didn't serve Sushi on weekdays so I opted for a beer and popcorn. You can also buy bottles of wine to bring into the movie theaters. The beers are about what you would pay for at some bars Uptown ($5 for a Heiniken in my case).

I didn't see a lot of people there, so I wonder how well it's doing in sales, seems like rent would be quite exspensive in Ballantyne.

It was very busy when I went to "Thank you for smoking" a few weeks ago. I think I went on a Friday... As for the rent, its probably a bit higher than most places but it is more likely that they get some sort of discount from the developer.

Well, to tell you the truth, the last time I was behind the BV was probably last fall, so maybe they've built something where the holes were. But I could've sworn there were two big clear tracts of land right behind the village. I believe the latest aerials of the area are at least 2 years old, so I doubt that will help.

Maybe they will be putting the towers on top of the parking deck.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't see that that idea had already been presented. :)

• 1 month later...

new rezoning app. for area near Torringdon... man this is huge. I wondered what might be planned for that large vacant area across community house rd. from EarthFare

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2...site%20plan.pdf

I wonder what the note on the site plan sheet "mid-rise city homes" really means. Are we getting some 3, 5, 10 story buildings here? higher?

• 1 month later...

Guys I hate to bring this up because it is going to offend quite a lot of people. BUT, I went to Firebirds last night and then did my ususal "exploring" for a Friday evening. This time I went down to B-Town. I have to say I am impressed with how much they are doing and building in terms of activity, but that is it.

I HATE B-TOWN!

I went to explore the Blakney area.

I HATE IT TOO!

I am really shocked, but they are putting up Palm Trees down in some of the developmets around Blakney. I think it was the Golf Course maybe, but whatever.

I HATED IT TOO !

My "soon to be wife" was in shock and said it reminded her a lot of her hometown in California. She continued and said that the "cookie cutter" homes were just like southern Cal and the fact that there were NO TREES made it appear we were in a desert with some green splashed in.

Is this really what people want????

I did not like ANY aspect of the office, residential, or retail development. I am wondering if maybe in ten+ years it might become a bit better with some more trees. I sure hope so.

B-Town does not even look like it is in NC when one drives through, it is so foreign to everything that I classify as Charlotte. Please does anyone else feel this way?!

A2

If you really want to be depressed....drive even a little further out past Blakeney, into the "town" of Marvin......

But yes, I feel that way, and think the Blakeney is the most boring development in the entire city. It ALL looks the same.

If you really want to be depressed....drive even a little further out past Blakeney, into the "town" of Marvin......

But yes, I feel that way, and think the Blakeney is the most boring development in the entire city. It ALL looks the same.

Thanks for admitting to this atlrvr. I am going to start a group called B-Town Anonomous :P . Maybe we can stop this horrible disease from spreading its tentacles into other areas of our beautiful city and countryside. The first step in recovery is admitting the problem. The first signs of the disease are well noted. Some of these signs appear in the from of Clear cutting. The second sign is bland, boring architecture. Then once those signs are noted the others , more serious signs of the disease appear. They can come in the form of faux Class A office space and ponds that seem oddly out of place. These office buildings sometimes look very closely related in their style and mass. Most are duplicated accross the vast expanse of space and are grouped together in families or "packs". Other signs become vividly noticed, when dense "pockets" of so-called Urban Devloped residential units are tucked away behind large Big Box retailers and these families of boxes (sometimes referred to as office parks or corporate centers). This faux Urbanity is the delusion part of the disease. Once again the first step is admiting to the problem, then we can attack it.

I am confident through my 12 step precess we can rid the stucco, spwaling addiction. :lol:

A2

i just moved to charlotte from laguna and i was driving from the regal cinema off near piper glen (rei rd???) and i used the back road south of 485 and driving down that road reminded me so much of back home. i could have easily been convinced of it being back in laguna (of course i loved living in so'cal but mostly bc the weather)

• 3 months later...

I hope I don't offend anyone, but what is it with the Ballantyne Village Theatre? It seems like they tried cutting edge pictures for the first few months and realized that Charlotte doesn't have the appetite for foreign, intellectual, or other small, quirky pictures. We need the Charlotte Film Society to come back to life or something. This city could use more intellectual pictures. I probably should do it myself, eh?

Perhaps it requires more of a college town, or some critical mass of population. Austin had several I used to go to, and is roughly the size of CLT, except it has a much larger college base, and is of course more liberal. But that aside, I think people have to be exposed to them, or else always think they are either weird, show bad films, or are artsy fartsy. So I guess the point is, take your friends, take them ALL. :)

EDIT, by the way, is 'grecowfu' a welsh name?

I grew up on Hilton Head Island which is a mecca of conformity and blandness. Upscale and beautifully landscaped, yes, but suffocatingly sterile. Living in Sea Pines was so insular and segregated that it made me want the exact opposite of what that community represents. Btyne gives me the exact same vibe minus the tourists and there are dozens of SUVs down there with HHI stickers so birds of a feather ya know... :lol: I bounce back and forth between Dilworth and PlazaMidwood everyday so sometimes I can pretend that it is representative of Charlotte as a whole and not a very small exception architecturewise :( Developments such as Ballanytne and Blakeney do sell and are the epitome of the American Dream for many and they represent what the majority of Charlotteans prefer. They can have it. It's just not my cup of tea.

Perhaps it requires more of a college town, or some critical mass of population. Austin had several I used to go to, and is roughly the size of CLT, except it has a much larger college base, and is of course more liberal. But that aside, I think people have to be exposed to them, or else always think they are either weird, show bad films, or are artsy fartsy. So I guess the point is, take your friends, take them ALL. :)

EDIT, by the way, is 'grecowfu' a welsh name?

I still have not made it down to BVT. But The Manor tends to stay relatively faithful to it's indie mission. They were the only theatre in town to run Brokeback Mountain for weeks until it went mainstream all around Charlotte. They also had "Shortbus" a few weeks ago and I missed it :angry: Aside from these two limited options I guess we should be grateful that Asheville and Chapel Hill are not too far away because they tend to be more daring moviewise.

Archived