Ballantyne Village

StevenRocks

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

There is more news The Observer today about the second phase of Ballantyne Corporate Park. New info:

Twin six-story buildings, each about 150,000 square feet, Twin 10-story towers, each 250,000 square feet. All buildings are spec office space.

Each will have balconies with views of the Ballantyne area and uptown skyline. Both include covered parking in decks.

And here's an interesting tidbit: All four buildings will be "green," with Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification.

(excellent!!!!!........)

Link to article

I think it's just a matter of scale....to use the New York example, 12 miles (the distance between Uptown and Ballantyne) would get you all the way to Yonkers, in Westchester County from Bryant Park in Midtown. South of there, would be somewhere in Staten Island, west of there would be in Orange, NJ (well past Jersey City and Newark) and east would be in far east Queens, almost to the Nassau County line.

My point is, yes there are lots of significant nodes in NYC, but they are all contained well within that radius. For Ballantyne to soon be the 2nd largest office employment center is riduculous, considering the distance from Uptown. There is just not enough density yet to justify being that spread out. Consider that within a 1-mile radius of Bryant Park in Midtown, there is more than 4 times the office space of all of Mecklenburg County.

While every city does it, it doesn't mean that we should, at least not yet. If they would build a proper street grid, and connect Ballantyne to Uptown with LRT, then I might change my attitude, but as is, it's just sprawl. I realize you acknowledge this point NCN8tive, but I just don't think it will get there within the next 20 years, so in the meantime, Charlotte is continuing the pattern of unsustainable land development.

That said, I have glad that they will seek LEED certification. It's a least a tip of the cap that developers are becoming more concious, though I still think they are "penny wise and dollar foolish" in terms of being environmentally friendly.

NCN8ive, I was going to respond by Atlrvr pretty much did it for me. What he said.

...and by the way, I have pretty thick skin, don't worry about upsetting me with reasonable discourse. Every town does have "nodes" or clusters of development, as you mention. If you take Houston, for example, you have the Galleria, the Medical Center, and about 20 other large concentrations of office space. To think such a thing wasn't going to happen in Charlotte, with it's abundence of cheap, undeveloped land, is a fantasy.

What I'm complaining about is that we are following a pattern of development that leads to another Atlanta or Houston, not New York (or even Portland). I would like to see development that is based on connectivity, urban fabric, and communities that at least give passing consideration to pedistrians. While Ballentyne is pretty, it's enclaves are separated by large earthen berms and heavily traveled roads. There is nothing like a connecting street grid and nothing to connect communities around it.

As Atlrvr pointed out, it's also a bit sublime to have this much space that far away from town.

What I'm complaining about is that we are following a pattern of development that leads to another Atlanta or Houston, not New York (or even Portland). I would like to see development that is based on connectivity, urban fabric, and communities that at least give passing consideration to pedistrians. While Ballentyne is pretty, it's enclaves are separated by large earthen berms and heavily traveled roads. There is nothing like a connecting street grid and nothing to connect communities around it.

I certainly hope that Charlotte will build that connective street grid and that they will extend the LTR lines to cover more of the city. I don't see either happening until they are forced to do so however. The NCDOT nor Charlotte's DOT seem to be able to fund anything we really need for this area.

However, I think we are stuck with this sort of development as long as land is cheap, and people drive cars.

There is no tipping point for mass transit other than density and lack of parking. Why doesn't everyone own a car in NYC? Is it because they long to protect the environment and care about ride sharing? No, it's because having one and parking it is too damn expensive. Houston, Atlanta, and LA are proof that long commutes/high gas prices won't get rid of the auto. Nor should it, frankly. If we had a better transit system, I'd ride it. As it is, my wife and I car pool each morning. It's to save gas and spend time together.

If you notice on the aerial pics, Community House Road looks like it will eventually pass over I-485 and connect on the otherside to North Community House Road. Does anyone know when they plan on doing that and if a developer or the city/county/state is going to pay for it? It would really help with the connectivity in the area (sort of creating a grid).

If you notice on the aerial pics, Community House Road looks like it will eventually pass over I-485 and connect on the otherside to North Community House Road. Does anyone know when they plan on doing that and if a developer or the city/county/state is going to pay for it? It would really help with the connectivity in the area (sort of creating a grid).

Ah, OK, that would make more sense (not to mention now that I reread the post the road itself is mentioned :blush:), I was looking at the bridge over 521 which I can't quite tell if is proposed or existing, assumed that was it since it does itself improve some connectivity between the halves. Thanks.

Archived