City nicknames

Every city has at least one nickname. I would love to hear what the nicknames are for various cities, and where those nicknames originated.

Pittsburgh is often called the Steel City for obvious reasons. But did you know it is also known as the City of Bridges? I don't think most people realize it, but Pittsburgh has more bridges than any other city (except maybe Venice). See for yourself....

bridges-nside.jpg0027-0312-2309-1418_SM.jpgsmithfld.jpg

So now tell me about your city's nickname, and where it came from. :)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tucson is called the "Old Pueblo" because it was once a Yaqui village/pueblo.

Houston is called the "Bayou City" because it was built on a bayou. Up until the 1970's, it was also called "Space City" because of the Johnson Space Center. I don't know why this changed.

Albuquerque is called "Duke City" because it was named in honor of the Spanish Duke of Albuquerque.

Atlanta:

"The Capital of the South'

"Hotlanta"

"The City Too Busy to Hate"

"ATL"

"A-Town"

Douglasville has one nickname that I can think of:

"D'ville"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My friend is actually from D'ville. I liked it. (well heck, I like ATL (excluding the traffic)). But I have often heard it called D'town. I always liked visiting my childhood friend from "D-town" since you guys were so much closer to Six Flags. :D As a kid that was kind of nice. Not to mention the view going east bound on I-20 of the Atl Skyline is the BEST. It almost looks like a mini Manhattan. All you need to do now is call up Trump and have him fill in some gaps.

B)

Haha, I just Googled them! Google Image Search is pretty nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TRAITOR! sabatuer! :D

Gerbil you know you can't turn your back on the hometown Sengines!

http://www.clusty.com

http://www.vivisimo.com

probably the best search engine out there except its file library is not as big as googles, so google still is what I use to finde absolutely everything that is out there on a particular subject ;)

Archived