RFP for 158 Oakes Street

joeDowntown

12 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Ahh ok, this is 100 Ottawa SW (the airspace above the parking deck looks conspicuously office like though I don't believe it's anything more than concept):

48536739487_e7be5f5725_b.jpg

I wonder the odds of the 158 Oakes  tower actually coming to fruition then?

Depends on Acrisure's growth after phase 1 is done I'm sure.  Let's hope we don't have an economic downturn in 2020.

While looking at this rendering above I just had a thought that has nothing to do with this project;  when creating renderings wouldn’t it be much more realistic to show a random bicyclist in lycra smugly running a red light?

Back on topic: that’s great news about Acrisure.

Edited by walker
because I don't know my fabrics
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, walker said:

While looking at this rendering above I just had a thought that has nothing to do with this project;  when creating renderings wouldn’t it be much more realistic to show a random bicyclist in spandex smugly running a red light?

... trolling ... 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, walker said:

While looking at this rendering above I just had a thought that has nothing to do with this project;  when creating renderings wouldn’t it be much more realistic to show a random bicyclist in spandex smugly running a red light?

Back on topic: that’s great news about Acrisure.

Most biking gear is made of lycra, not spandex. :dontknow:

• Haha 2

So is this a second tower? The way they make it sound, it's as if a tower will eventually be built to house Acrisure's future growth. However, the tower that was proposed for above the parking ramp was supposed to be residential. 

Edit: Nevermind. I see the residential tower in the picture now. So this would be a second tower.

Edited by GRLaker

It’s interesting. The proposed building at studio park is 90,000 sq. ft. Acrisure was looking at a 136,000 sq. ft. in Cascade. So maybe they’ll be ready for growth as they’re moving into this building. Maybe with construction timelines, etc., they’ll be ready to take office space in the bigger building soon. I wonder if they’ll eventually split space between two buildings and have operations in the smaller, executive offices, etc. in the larger. 

I’d also assume that they may end up being the signature tenant in the 175,000 sq. ft. building (taking up multiple floors), but not necessarily the only tenant (which makes it seem more realistic that this could be built sooner instead of later). 

Joe

What an incredible project and significant props to Olsen Loeks. 

Acrisure is growing hyperbolically and they’ll likely consolidate back office functions as they integrate their M&A targets. This should fuel HQ growth going forward and insurance isn’t as cyclical as other industries. 

I’ve been in GR for 10 years and this is without a doubt the most exciting news to date. Going through most other cities you’re immediately alerted to the presence of urban HQs and we’ve always had an absence of that. Outside of medical (and soon to be former with the Spectrum migration), none of the entrepreneurial pioneers have felt compelled to relocate their companies downtown. One must wonder what some of the newer organizations in town will do when it comes to risking downtown and if so, what does this mean for a post-Grand Action world? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Holy crap!

Go to lunch and come back to THIS! Very nice.

Now to myself 4 years from now, I hope the completed building didnt turn out to be 2 stories with one side a blank wall.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MJLO said:

Ahh ok, this is 100 Ottawa SW (the airspace above the parking deck looks conspicuously office like though I don't believe it's anything more than concept):

48536739487_e7be5f5725_b.jpg

I wonder the odds of the 158 Oakes  tower actually coming to fruition then?

I believe that the tower you see here behind 100 Ottawa  is a proposed apartment tower that would sit atop of the parking structure.   BUT great news on Acrisure pending move!   Kudos to them for believing in downtown Grand Rapids, while all those other suburban based companies turn their back on downtown!  Maybe this will start a trend?   When I think about it I guess  another insurance firm, Van Wyk,  is moving from EGR , taking the 10th floor at Warner Tower as I write this.

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 2

So, I'm a little confused.....  Am I correct that....

1.  Acrisure will initially occupy the linear building around the parking structure at studio park

2.  There will still be a residential tower on top of the parking structure separate from the linear building at studio park

3.  The 16 story tower is for possible future expansion for Acrisure

Would Acrisure move from one building to the other or occupy both?

Also, starting in 2019 and completed in 2020?  Doesn't that seem like a very short timeline?

1 hour ago, Floyd_Z said:

So, I'm a little confused.....  Am I correct that....

1.  Acrisure will initially occupy the linear building around the parking structure at studio park

2.  There will still be a residential tower on top of the parking structure separate from the linear building at studio park

3.  The 16 story tower is for possible future expansion for Acrisure

Would Acrisure move from one building to the other or occupy both?

Also, starting in 2019 and completed in 2020?  Doesn't that seem like a very short timeline?

You got it, on all counts. 

Based on how quickly the other buildings have risen, I see a fall start and a late 2020 timeline to be doable. I can imagine most of the site work is already done and it’s just a matter of pouring the foundation. 

Anyone know if they poured footers as part of the parking garage?  I honestly wouldn’t be shocked to seen them kick this off next week. 

5 hours ago, kwl said:

Based on how quickly the other buildings have risen, I see a fall start and a late 2020 timeline to be doable. I can imagine most of the site work is already done and it’s just a matter of pouring the foundation. 

Anyone know if they poured footers as part of the parking garage?  I honestly wouldn’t be shocked to seen them kick this off next week. 

It's hard to tell,  all of the construction trailers and other equipment are sitting  on the spot where the office building portion is going.  

11 hours ago, mpchicago said:

I believe that the tower you see here behind 100 Ottawa  is a proposed apartment tower that would st atop of the parking structure.   BUT great news on Acrisure pending move!   Kudos to them for believing in downtown Grand Rapids, while all those other suburban based companies turn their back on downtown!  Maybe this will start a trend?   When I think about it I guess  another insurance firm, Van Wyk,  is moving from EGR  is taking the 10th floor at Warner Tower as I write this.

No I'm with you on that.  I'm just saying that in that drawing it's conceptual and it looks more officey than residential.

7 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

So, the first phase office tower. Is that under construction already? This is the office portion that was dead earlier? Correct?

They are about to break ground on it.  It was never dead.  It was abandoned by Franklin Partners, and Olsen Loeks immediately resumed planning and marketing of it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

They're about to break ground on it? The liner office building? 

I questioned that too. Have they announced a date? I’d think even if they were fast tracking this, they’d wait till Studio Park is open. That would still allow them to break ground in 2019, but it may be closer to November/December. Is there a timeline?

Joe

11 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I questioned that too. Have they announced a date? I’d think even if they were fast tracking this, they’d wait till Studio Park is open. That would still allow them to break ground in 2019, but it may be closer to November/December. Is there a timeline?

Joe

That would be my guess. But who knows I think the liner building is already approved.