Wellington Construction

TheBostonian

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer my own question after seeing the sign at the site:

stationlanding.com

"Station Landing, being built on a 16-acre site at Wellington Circle in Medford, Massachusetts, is a transit-oriented waterfront development. It has been master planned to include 650 residential units, 100,000 square feet of retail space, a 190-room hotel, 165,000 square feet of Class A office space and a 1350-car parking structure adjacent to a riverfront park and marina on the banks of the Mystic River. The development, which has been designed in the spirit of Smart Growth and New Urbanism, includes an active

where exactly is this in medford? i know how crazy route 16 can get. i am trying to picture where this is but i can't quite picture it. right now i'm in waltham, but we're moving to malden, so i have gone back and forth several times and i take route 16 over to route 60 to get to malden.

where exactly is this in medford?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wellington Circle is at the center of this map. You can see the orange line and commuter rail tracks running straight through just to the right. The large railyard area is where Wellington Station is, and the area to the left of Wellington Station is where this project is. Route 28 runs N/S through Wellington Circle, Route 16 runs E/W.

where exactly is this in medford? i know how crazy route 16 can get. i am trying to picture where this is but i can't quite picture it. right now i'm in waltham, but we're moving to malden, so i have gone back and forth several times and i take route 16 over to route 60 to get to malden.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You doing a month to month lease? Why Malden?

we're in a temporary furnished apartment in waltham. we got an apartment in malden because it was a nice place and it was what we wanted in our pricerange. the town itself leaves much to be desired, but we will be within walking distance of the T, so it will be easy to go into boston to do things.

Wow I really like that. Perfect height and everything. Of course all the people in the rendering make it look nicer, but hopefully there will be that number of people there once its done. Massachusetts seems to be doing well with its TOD's (this is a TOD right?)

Wow I really like that.  Perfect height and everything.  Of course all the people in the rendering make it look nicer, but hopefully there will be that number of people there once its done.  Massachusetts seems to be doing well with its TOD's (this is a TOD right?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say so. It is right at the Wellington orange line station.

I'd prefer that Krispy Kreme be in one of the first floor retail spots in the new mixed use buildings. But I sort of see where Krispy Kreme is located as the heart of the battle between conventional development dominated auto traffic versus new urbanist development that is walkable and served by public transit.

There should be no strip malls inside Boston's urban core, either. I would love to see such places replaced by dense, mixed use developments. They could even retain the big box retailers. There would just have to be something above them. My opinions on these things are evolving.

yeah Bostonian, I agree, I see nothing too bad about chain restaurants, big boxes, etc., if they are properly integrated into the urban environment. Krispy Kreme, etc. can be on the ground floor of an apartment building, like you said, without a damn drive thru and a sea of parking. Big boxes can be built to the street with structured parking or rear parking lots. Strip malls are disasters. The only problem with new mixed use retail is that it tends to bear higher rents than strip malls, disallowing for small business interests, small retailers, etc., to locate there.

BTW, Krispy Kreme rasberry filled donuts are flawless divinity.

no way dude! krispy kreme is super yummers! i think they're better than dunkin' donuts. but, i have a hometown bias. krispy kreme is HQd in winston-salem, nc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're a Masshole now, DD Boston Kremes for you!

You're a Masshole now, DD Boston Kremes for you!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

heh, a guy from new york who was living in charlotte that i met at a friend's party in greensboro *whew* told me about the massholes i would encounter when i moved up here.

actually, that first week we were here staying in the back bay, i went to a DD and got a boston cream donut. krispy kreme's version is just called chocolate covered custard filled, and also the chocolate covered cream filled is good. it is super sweet.

I like the Krispy Kreme donuts they give you for free fresh off the assembly line while you wait to order. I have no objection to Dunkin Donuts, but I am delighted to see major competition. I also have no objection to drive thrus where they are appropriate. I would just like to see more growth in the spirit of New Urbanism inside urban cores that make drive-thrus inappropriate. Ideally the Wellington Krispy Kreme site will eventually be used for mixed use development. But right now it serves its purpose in a car oriented area. I still fear that the Wellington site will be merely an island of New Urbanism in a larger area of car domination. Perhaps the project could be linked with the Telecom City mixed use project (telecomcity.com) just down the road.

How's that for a bundle of pure opinion?

Archived