Milliken Village

westsider28

10 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

Call me a doubting Thomas but the scale of this project seems beyond P-M's capabilities.  

I don't think it's beyond their capabilities. They have an assload of money.

I started to say that location it terrible... BUT, if they can pull this off, it would actually make for a nice semi-urban college district next to USC Upstate. It would be cool to have a place other than downtown that has a walkable vibe with restaurants and bars to go to. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mainonmain said:

Wonder if this is within a mile of city limits. Can you imagine pulling Milliken HQ, this development and USC Upstate into the city limits? The increase in tax base and population would be ... significant.

A quick Google measurement says ~1.5 miles as the crow flies, so unfortunately no annexation by that method.

I noticed on the proposed site plan an exit ramp would be added on Business 85 southbound and University Way would be truncated. 

University Way should be relocated to tie in with Millken Village, or it needs to be eliminated completely.

Business 85 exits 5 need improvement. Exit 5B northbound should become a directional flyover from  Business 85 northbound to Interstate 585 northbound and exit 5A southbound should become a directional flyover to Interstate 585 southbound.   The present exit 5B  northbound would become exit 5C for Milliken and North Campus Boulevard.

Agreed. The interchange design is very dated and causes a lot of weaving traffic and insufficient room to maneuver. Very dangerous, but fortunately there isn't an excessive amount of traffic on the old 85, or 585, so it's probably not a major issue. 

O/T but related: I've always wanted to see 585 extended about 1000 ft to create a full interchange with the new I-85. Probably not a high priority, but hopefully it will happen eventually.

On 12/30/2019 at 7:14 PM, Spartan said:

Agreed. The interchange design is very dated and causes a lot of weaving traffic and insufficient room to maneuver. Very dangerous, but fortunately there isn't an excessive amount of traffic on the old 85, or 585, so it's probably not a major issue. 

O/T but related: I've always wanted to see 585 extended about 1000 ft to create a full interchange with the new I-85. Probably not a high priority, but hopefully it will happen eventually.

A full interchange is not even a "low priority" it seems.