Best Products showrooms by SITE

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's some really great architecture. It definitely gave it a unique look.

I think I remember the one in Houston (not remember the actual store, just the abandoned building), just south of Almeda Mall behind the Popeye's. I saw the crumbled building and just thought that it was deteriorating.

When did these go out of business?

That's some really great architecture. It definitely gave it a unique look.

I think I remember the one in Houston (not remember the actual store, just the abandoned building), just south of Almeda Mall behind the Popeye's. I saw the crumbled building and just thought that it was deteriorating.

When did these go out of business?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is what happened in Houston:

http://www.texaschapbookpress.com/magellan...facadeintro.htm

Scroll down to the bottom to see the building today. :(

This is what happened in Houston:

http://www.texaschapbookpress.com/magellan...facadeintro.htm

Scroll down to the bottom to see the building today.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that link.

I lived right around there in 99/00 and it looked slightly different than that, but not by much. The parking lot was also in worse condition then.

It was in a terrible location (on a side street two blocks from an outdated mall) and was in a pretty bad neighborhood, so I'm not surprised that it never sold.

It's a shame though that someone didn't pick up on that idea and turn it into like a laser tag place or some other sort of themed attraction.

• 3 weeks later...

I lived near the one in Houston in the 80's. I mentioned once to a friend that I was going to Best and invited him to join me. He said they were tearing it down. He didn't understand that the deconstruction was the architecture. I wonder how many potential customers they lost due to misunderstanding.

BEST_int_ext04rev_t.jpg

:lol:

• 7 months later...

It was a catalog showroom. Typically, they only showed one example of each item they sold on the floor. If you wanted an item, you filled out a order ticket and brought it to a desk (or called it in). They then retrieved your item from the back warehouse while you waited at this contraption that looked like the baggage carousel at the airport. When you got the item from the carousel, you then paid for it at the checkouts.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Wow...I certainly remember Best Products, my Dad was an assistant manager and customer service manager for them for about 10 years in the 80's and 90's. But the two stores he worked in (Greensboro and Winston-Salem, NC) were of very conventional/uninteresting architecture; I didn't even know about these early stores that were such unique designs.

Does anyone remember their trucks from the 80's? The trailers had the Best logo, of course, but they were painted in interesting fashions...I remember one had giant paperclips painted on the side, I think another pens, another some sort of abstract painting...they were unique too.

Archived