Mall or Outdoor Shopping Center in Jacksonville?

vladittude0583

Which shopping place do you prefer in Jacksonville?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which shopping place do you prefer in Jacksonville?

• Regency Square Mall
    • The Avenues Mall
    • St. John's Town Center
    • The Jacksonville Landing
    • Gateway Mall

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the Gateway Mall just out of curiousity? I have never even heard of it and can't find much in the way of a tenant list through google.

I prefer the Town Center. It's new, clean, outdoors and modern, and I prefer the retailers. The Avenues is still a good place to shop too though, it's nice to have a choice between indoor and outdoor shopping.

^Gateway was originally Jacksonville's largest mall, until Regency opened. Its located on the Northside, on Norwood Avenue, just off I-95.

I chose it, because I have great memories of coming up with my parents, as a kid during the early 1980's and shopping there. Today, other than a couple of shoe stores, all of the shops are now mom & pop outlets that cater to the local population. A couple of years ago Magic Johnson considered opening one of his theaters there, but the deal feel through.

Anyway, outside of Ponce De Leon Mall in St. Augustine, its the only old school enclosed shopping mall in Jax, still operating.

Outside of that I'd go with the Landing, since its downtown and on the river. Every other mall in town, basically is a carbon copy of any modern suburban retail center in the country. Nevertheless, when I do actually shop, I usually do it out of town, while on vacation.

I think those are the major shopping centers of Jacksonville (mallwise)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude, you left out Orange Park. Sure it's not in Jacksonville, but enough Jacksonville people use.

I agree, OP Mall should most definetly be on the list. It's less than a mile beyond the city limits anyway.

Due to my lack of having patronized the Town Center yet, my vote falls to Regency. Yes, the largest and most crowded of the main 6 (until Town Center is fully complete anyway) is usually the most convenient in location and selection (again, that is until I get back and check out Town Center....if you haven't guessed, I really ant to check out Town Center).

Wow, I was at the Landing tonight for dinner. It's looking worse and worse. As it stands right now, it's almost an embarrassment. I wish the city and sleiman could work something out.. like, today! (it would actually be nice is Simon, or what have you.. would buy it out and do something with it) ...they actually have wind flags (or whatever those tacky things that people hang from porches that blow in the wind are called) hanging from the light poles now... esh.

...I voted for the Avenues. I love the Town Center, but I guess I had to pick my old fave.

As far as OPM being on the list.. who would vote for it anyway? It cannot compare to SJTC or the Avenues.. it can barely compare to Regency. (Not to offend anyone... just an opinion)

^I agree, OPM is getting ghetto.....suburban-ghetto-fabulous maybe....

As to the Landing, I think it'll hit rock bottom before it climbs to the top. If Sleiman can fulfill his vision, to its fullest extent, it will become the showcase and the riverfront centerpiece it was meant to be. He does have grand plans for the Landing, not only in a physical makeover, but in a complete overhaul in the tenants that will inhabit the place.

I can't wait!

^I agree, OPM is getting ghetto.....suburban-ghetto-fabulous maybe....

As to the Landing, I think it'll hit rock bottom before it climbs to the top.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha, I couldn't agree more. OP Is definitely suburban-ghetto-fabulous. I'm just amazed at how badly that mall is screaming for a makeover.

And the Landing... I'm not sure if it could get much worse! It pains me to think it used to have Banana Republic and stores like that.. downtown!!

What exactly is holding up the deal with landing/City. Doesnt the city realize what a boom would be. That it complements other developemtns, THAT YOU HAVE TO HAVE FEASIBLE PARKING????. I know one day we hopefully will have a pedestrian downtown where cars are not as needed. but today is NOT that day.

But seriously,

Does anyone know what is holding up the resolution?

Cheers

The Landing has never been conducive to shopping. It is too complicated to get to unless you work downtown and can walk. I remember a time when I went down there in the early 90's with my girlfriend and we were hounded in and out of every store that we went into by a "Under Cover" security shopper. I guess we looked suspicious. I was insulted beyond belief and never went back there to shop. I have had plenty of drinks there though.

What exactly is holding up the deal with landing/City. Doesnt the city realize what a boom would be. That it complements other developemtns, THAT YOU HAVE TO HAVE FEASIBLE PARKING????. I know one day we hopefully will have a pedestrian downtown where cars are not as needed. but today is NOT that day.

But seriously,

Does anyone know what is holding up the resolution?

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's holding it up? The same thing that's been holding up the parking deal, since that Landing opened 20 years ago........The city.

I chose The Avenues just because thats where ive always shopped and its considerably closer than Town Center, I think OP is closer than St. Johns too but i dont know why anyone would go over there. I went to OP a few months ago and didnt feel as comfortable and safe as i do when im at the avenues or st johns. As for the landing, if it ever gets its act together then it would be the shopping hotspot with the location and backdrop right on the river. Also having to pay for parking to shop is a turnoff, but it is dt so i guess its excusable.

Why is everyone so down on OP mall? I was there in Dec and I felt safe and Simon has added some new stores that the mall needed. I didn't feel as though someone was going to knock me over my head for my stuff. Does it need a make over? Sure, and so does Regency Mall and the Avenues. The stuff about the mall being ghetto fabolous is funny, especially suburban "ghetto", but c'mon! I gotta lookup the term suburban ghetto.

Some of you people are sounding like complete snobs who are afraid of the "rift-raft" at Orange Park Mall. It's not as bad as some of you make it out to be. What is wrong with "ghetto" people as long as they act like all of you proper people? Ghetto is defined by Websters as:

1 : a quarter of a city in which Jews were formerly required to live,

2 : a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure

3 a : an isolated group <a geriatric ghetto> b : a situation that resembles a ghetto especially in conferring inferior status or limiting opportunity <stuck in daytime TV's ghetto>

I see some of you working. I'm sure you're not implying that a bunch of Jews frequent OP Mall so therefore it is "ghetto". Are you referring to that? Could you be referring to members of a minority group that tend to frequent the mall b/c of social, legal or economic pressure? Are you saying that the people in the mall are isolated so therefore it is a ghetto? Or are you conferring inferior status on the mall b/c of the stores that are there and the people that frequent the mall?

OP Mall shares some of the same anchors as Regency and The Avenues. They also share some of the same speciality retailers. So if logic is to follow and you're inferring that the stores at OP Mall make it inferior, then one has to infer that the same stores also make the other malls inferior. Am I wrong? Or did you folks just look at the people at the mall and pronounced how "ghetto" it is and how unsafe it makes one feel? Hmmmmmm! Inquiring minds want to know!

Also, I don't really like most malls - suburban, urban, whatever. The vast majority of stores are always clothing/shoe/fashion stores, which is something I care next-to-nothing about.

So, in that sense, I've never been bothered by the Landing's lack of retail. It has lots of restaurants, so that's all I care about anyway.

Archived