Mall or Outdoor Shopping Center in Jacksonville?

vladittude0583

Which shopping place do you prefer in Jacksonville?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which shopping place do you prefer in Jacksonville?

• Regency Square Mall
    • The Avenues Mall
    • St. John's Town Center
    • The Jacksonville Landing
    • Gateway Mall

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he meant it was a crappy place.  I dont think he could have meant it is predominantly a black crowd (if this is what you are implying), b/c I dont think that is the true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't implying anything and I'm still not implying anything. Notice in my post how I asked a couple of questions b/c I don't know what the two posters who used the term ghetto meant. I can only go by what I know the term ghetto describes and it is posted in my post above.

Okay, if they meant crappy they could have said it! See how simple that is! Besides describing it as ghetto, someone else said they felt unsafe there. I'm just trying to understand. Is OP no more crappy that Regency? Both are as old as dirt. Is OP Mall no more safe than Regency or the Avenues? Simon is doing what they can to spruce things up. People seem to forget that The Avenue Mall needs to be pressure washed. Call it crappy, call it out-dated, call it dirty, but at least say that. Once again, going by the definition of what ghetto really means, what could they have meant?

Just asking! Besides, I thought this thread was about which type do you prefer! Sure I helped get this thing OT, but calling the OP ghetto took it off course. Sorry to the original poster.

No, I wasn't using the term "ghetto" as a racial thing. Hence the "suburban" prefix. Actually, OPM has a very....interesting mix of classes, races, and walks of life. There's some "UrbanGear" store that's geared to a hip-hop customer and then there's an "Old Dixie Confederate T-Shirts" kiosk. That odd mix may be its problem. Every time I go (and it's usually at night) I see a fight break out, and it usually stems from a clash of people not used to other people.

It's rather sad, and that's what makes this "riff-raff". IMO, they need more security at that mall.

No, I wasn't using the term "ghetto" as a racial thing.  Hence the "suburban" prefix.  Actually, OPM has a very....interesting mix of classes, races, and walks of life.  There's some "UrbanGear" store that's geared to a hip-hop customer and then there's an "Old Dixie Confederate T-Shirts" kiosk.  That odd mix may be its problem.  Every time I go (and it's usually at night) I see a fight break out, and it usually stems from a clash of people not used to other people.

It's rather sad, and that's what makes this "riff-raff".  IMO, they need more security at that mall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right! It does have a mix of races and that's a good thing about the mall. Now I haven't seen any fights break out while I've been there, but I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. I'm sure it does. Just like we don't know about fights breaking out at other malls b/c you can't be in multiple places at one time. Unless there was a news story that I was unaware of, I haven't heard how OP Mall has become some type of haven for fights. If anything, the thing I don't like about OP Mall is that there are so many high schools kids that go there that you wonder if you're in high school. I think that element contributes more to the fights than the fact that they aren't used to each other. They see each other in school each day! It's a case of high schoolers trying to be and look cool for their buddies or some girl(s).

I feel safe at OP, just not as safe as I would at say the Avenues. And that can be because im more familiar with the avenues and I know the place. Im not racist but when youre surrounded by different types of ppl than youre usually surrounded by you feel out of your element. "unsafe" was the wrong term. Its more of a feeling of you dont belong there and youre unwanted because of the overwhelming crowd of different races. and dont get me wrong it doesnt bother me and i love being around different ethnic groups i just dont have the chance to do so often because of where i live so when i have the opportunity or am in a different environment i sometimes feel out of place. thats all. you can call it narrowminded or ignorant but i come from NW st.johns where rednecks thrive and ppl make jokes about mandarin being "ghetto", c'mon its mandarin not a crime infested neighborhood. so if my view of feeling out of my element around different types of ppl is insulting to some, sorry.

If I had to pick one mall to do my christmas shopping, it would be the Avenues, not St John's. Once they opem the second phase, maybe, but not right now. I can knock out all of the women in my life at either Pottery Barn or Bath & Body, and Sears is just fun to be in.

Okay, wow. The "ghetto" comments were taken completely out of context afh.

The term "ghetto" is no longer used when referring to Jews.. or any of the other definitions. It's simply a term used to describe "crap-tacular"

At least Captain and a few others read in to it correctly:

"AFH - I think he is calling the OP mall ghetto (and rightly so) because of its unimpressive design and poor maintenance. The fact that it

• 3 years later...

Archived