Jump to content

KJHburg

Unbuilt Charlotte Towers Never started Never Completed Never Finished

Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

Burt was here in Charlotte at least in the late 70's. He opened Jonathans in the Duckworth current location. Jonathan was his son and he had him run the place as well. Burt was dating a waitress who lived across the street from me at that time and I recall him walking up the steps of the house with this woman young enough to be his daughter, he and his Abraham beard, and he reached behind her and fondled her butt as they climbed the steps. He drove a big black Cadillac and he parked in a non parking place alley one night and I pulled out of my driveway and did not look into the alley across the street and I caught my rear bumper under his and was trapped. After hopping on his car and having someone drive my car I was able to extract my car and he never knew. He was an anomaly here with the beard, overly young companions, some money, grand plans, visions of rainbows. His Professional Building, mentioned in the clipping, was later in his time an artists collective and the last building I knew of in Charlotte that had an elevator with a human operator. Draw closed the cage, turn the controller, a great experience. Somewhat like the wooden escalator in the Herald Square Macy's store (Is that still there). 

We could use some Gellman magic dust today.

One of these days I just want to camp out with a cocktail and listen to your stories. Maybe next meetup its just a @tarhoosier Ted Talk. 

"Ted Cruz, Ted Allen, Ted Danson, Ted Nugent, Ted Kennedy, Teddy Roosevelt,  Ted Ginn Jr, Ted Turner." 

Thank you, this has been my Ted Talk. 

Stolen from @SupportiveGuy

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

I wouldn’t bet on it.

Sorry, forgot the blue font.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

One of these days I just want to camp out with a cocktail and listen to your stories. Maybe next meetup its just a @tarhoosier Ted Talk. 

"Ted Cruz, Ted Allen, Ted Danson, Ted Nugent, Ted Kennedy, Teddy Roosevelt,  Ted Ginn Jr, Ted Turner." 

Thank you, this has been my Ted Talk. 

Stolen from @SupportiveGuy

Charlotte was a MUCH smaller town in 1975-85 (as an example). The creative and counterculture people were concentrated in a small area. Urban pioneers had to know each other as there was no support than neighbors and friends. If one was a pioneer, kept his eyes and ears open, participated in the zeitgeist, one learned things and experienced things. Many things happened in the banking and philanthropy and established political circles and I did not participate there. You must look elsewhere for those memories.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The above are def some popular unbuilts, however, what's that one condo highrise? Possibly located near where intercontinental is. The one with the car elevator that lifted it to your home. Farfetched at the time but still pretty awesome to think about. There were renderings out there but havent looked. IPAs are slowing the Google search process lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

The above are def some popular unbuilts, however, what's that one condo highrise? Possibly located near where intercontinental is. The one with the car elevator that lifted it to your home. Farfetched at the time but still pretty awesome to think about. There were renderings out there but havent looked. IPAs are slowing the Google search process lol. 

 

That would be the ‘Encore at Carolina Theater’ 

Description: 20 Story, mixed-use, high rise with luxury condos, 3 theater levels, 3 office levels, a restaurant level, and a roof-top terrace pool. Internal car elevator for direct garage access to condos. Structure consists of cast-in-place post-tensioned slab and beam concrete floors, shear wall core with moment frame interaction lateral system, and core mat foundation and pile caps supported on mini piles.

B6D0C081-ACBE-488F-860C-3924D449AC97.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

The above are def some popular unbuilts, however, what's that one condo highrise? Possibly located near where intercontinental is. The one with the car elevator that lifted it to your home. Farfetched at the time but still pretty awesome to think about. There were renderings out there but havent looked. IPAs are slowing the Google search process lol. 

I remember that one luxury condos with car elevator to bring your parked vehicle to your level.  The guy who was proposing that development had something to do with Emerson Joseph uptown 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I remember this one the Burt Gellman 1000 foot tall Space Needle where Transamerica 400 North Tryon now stands. Here is the observation deck we all dreamed of at one time or another.

Just a note this is not to be a negative thread for every city and I mean every city has towers that were announced and never built.  Charlotte usually announces them after they start  building which is good but sometimes grand plans are announced with much fanfare and never take off.  

 

Gellmantower.jpg

I hadn't heard of this before.  While very unrealistic in today's world, something like this would be pretty great.  Just a random thought, but if there was ever a Charlotte influencer that could make something like this happen through a private/public partnership, it would be one David Alan Tepper.  Imagine some version of this as part of an entertainment complex where the practice fields are today.  Or if a new stadium is built at Pipe and Foundry to accommodate NFL/MLS, this could be a draw making the entire complex an every day tourist destination.  Besides, if you are going to spend $1.5 to $2B on a new stadium, why not throw down an extra $1/2B to really make a mark? I need this man's number to share all my great ideas on how to spend his fortune.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a more recent unbuilt tower the 28 story 1 Brevard cancelled due to lack of presales at their very lofty prices.   Boston money man proposed again with limited high rise experience if any.   Also I can not find a good rendering to share of the origin 300 South Tryon which was a 32 story office and condo tower that was proposed in 2007 or so and later scrapped during the deep recession.  Then revived as a 25 story office only high rise that we have today.

 

1Brevardtower.jpg

5 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I hadn't heard of this before.  While very unrealistic in today's world, something like this would be pretty great.  Just a random thought, but if there was ever a Charlotte influencer that could make something like this happen through a private/public partnership, it would be one David Alan Tepper.  Imagine some version of this as part of an entertainment complex where the practice fields are today.  Or if a new stadium is built at Pipe and Foundry to accommodate NFL/MLS, this could be a draw making the entire complex an every day tourist destination.  Besides, if you are going to spend $1.5 to $2B on a new stadium, why not throw down an extra $1/2B to really make a mark? I need this man's number to share all my great ideas on how to spend his fortune.

Not sure how much one of these space needles would cost to build but it would just be so expensive to try to get tourists and maybe diners to pay for.  A better option for Charlotte would be a public observation deck atop one of our buildings with space for events as well.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I am not mistaken, there were at least 2 tower proposals for the site that is currently occupied by the Barings "Sail" Building on South Tryon.  The first proposal was sometime in the late 1980's and there was one proposal in the mid to late 90's.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rancenc said:

The first proposal was sometime in the late 1980's and there was one proposal in the mid to late 90's.

Then there was the 3rd proposal for condos around 2008...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

What's the building the had like Greek columns at the time? It was like 30 floors...2006ish?

615 East Morehead. 

image.png.3cba2e43da2e84561582cc81dbe7c766.png

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was the last pre-Barings version of 300 South Tryon from 2007.  There was an earlier version still from around 2000 that looked sort of  like a stretched all white version of the old AT&T building on Brevard.   It was about 28 stories and had a slightly semi-circular projection facing Tryon that terminated with some elongated windows at the top.  I can’t find a pic of it anywhere.  It was underwhelming.   

0DC01D91-0F44-43D7-977F-B3BFB8F10261.jpeg

302A1A0E-4CDD-4AEA-9D83-A4FB0B7A92A8.jpeg

9BD616A7-6B98-4F92-ACC2-CA82F3144928.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.