Unbuilt Charlotte Towers Never started Never Completed Never Finished

KJHburg

On 2/1/2021 at 9:39 AM, Hushpuppy321 said:

I definitely agree with you.  Charlotte is definitely a Peer City with Austin\Nashville\Denver\Minneapolis, etc. but we certainly don't get as much development as each of those Cities.  Charlotte's neighborhood is a very tough place to grown due to two (2) factors I believe.  The First is Proximity - North Carolina has two Major Metro Areas competing for Growth only 2.5 to 3 hours apart (Metrolina & Triangle) as well as Metro Atlanta (3 Hrs away too) competing for growth & development all in a very relatively small geographical  location.  If you look at all of the Aforementioned Cities they don't have any nearby competent competitors and\or attractive alternate suitors.  Austin is in Texas so these rules don't apply to them since Texas growth is staggering and the State itself is bigger than a lot of other Countries.  The Second is Capitol Status - All are State Capitols and receive outsized attention and due care & diligence from their respective Legislatures whereas Charlotte is treated as an after thought and has been for many decades.  Also - having the majority of General Assembly more interested in\run by Rural Minded Politicians can also have unintended consequences for Urban Growth Areas & Proponents.

If you look at just the sheer amount of High Rise buildings currently under construction in Austin or Denver (15 to 20) its mind boggling and does make me jealous on behalf of Charlotte.  I am hoping that once the Growth Cycle starts back that we (CLT) can at least maintain 10 or more high-rise buildings (180' to 400') under construction at all times in the CBD & throughout the City Overall.  That would help Charlotte feel and look as large as their Peers.  The existing CLT Skyline does absolutely compete with any of the above right now although I can't wait for Charlotte to break the 10 or More 500'+ Tower Barrier, as that is an elite group of Cities in the US.

Thanks for the answer. I guess I should have put the last line of my initial post first instead of last since I was wanting to know about the developments that cause the announcements and not the announcements only. Again thanks for the answer.

Edited by scraperguy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2021 at 10:39 AM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Charlotte is definitely a Peer City with Austin\Nashville\Denver\Minneapolis, etc. but we certainly don't get as much development as each of those Cities.

I think we've had  more office growth in the last 20 years than all of them, maybe besides Austin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

speaking of not completed and decaying before our eyes the 21 story Heritage USA hotel in Fort Mill right in the middle of a neighborhood now Regent Park.    Tallest building in York County SC!

IMG_6916.JPG

IMG_6917.JPG

IMG_6918.JPG

I can't believe that nothing has been done with this tower. Turn it into apartments or office. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

was looking in GIS the other day and found a great photo of the Dee Dee Harris Wetland Park aka Quail Hollow Village which various versions of this proposed for decades development had a Saks 5th Ave and Ritz Carlton hotel and condos,  a grocery store.  Seriously it should be condemned for a wetland park and build a boardwalk around it.  The large hole was for the parking garage of the Saks and Ritz.   I wonder if I can find an endangered species on the property. 

Road at top is Gleneagles Road road to left is Park Road.   Quail Corners shopping center to left with Harris Teeter. 

deedeeharris.jpg

I still can't believe that land is still nothing but a mosquito breeding ground

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...