Lakeland: Munn Park Historic District pictures

bobliocatt

While visiting Polk County this past weekend, I decided to drive around and take some pictures. This first thread is of the Munn Park Historic District in the heart of downtown Lakeland.

Terrace Hotel

terracehotell4tg.jpg

Polk Theater

polktheaterl8rg.jpg

recently renovated Lake Mirror Tower

lakemirrortowerl0dt.jpg

Lakeland Electric & Water office building

lakelandelectricl5yi.jpg

Marble Arcade Tower

marblearcade5lp.jpg

Pine Street

clontsl0er.jpg

Historic Lake Mirror Promenade

lakemirrorpromenade1ya.jpg

Harry's on the corner of Main and Kentucky Avenue

harrys8en.jpg

Kentucky Avenue looking South

kentuckyavenue1fr.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Pics! Lakeland is a jewel for Central Florida. They have a very walkable downtown. About a month ago I was "stranded" downtown so I just strolled around. I like the quality public art. Nothing too wacky. Its' downtown has a unique to Florida setting being on top of a little hill with lakes on all sides.

• 3 weeks later...

Hehe, there is a Harry's in downtown Gainesville, also. In a renovated historic building that looks very much like the one in the above picture.

I agree about the food at Harry's. It is excellent. Oh, by the way, nice pics of Lakeland. I'll have to go check it out myself someday.

^That's the Lake Mirror Promenade. Its basically a pedestrian walkway surrounding Lake Mirror, on the east side of downtown, that was constructed in the 1920's. The "bridge" effect is actually walkways going up to street level, since downtown sits on a higher elevation than the lake.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived