By the Numbers

The Jaxson says density matters more than absolute numbers in propelling downtowns forward to achieve vibrancy and things like retail:

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/will-10k-residents-really-revitalize-downtown-jax/

It’s an interesting theory and it may be right. What came to mind immediately was that FLL, which is ahead of us in density, lost its downtown movie theater while ours has prospered.

All I know for sure is that people have been throwing numbers around for the sixteen years I’ve been here and each time we hit a supposed threshold they move the goalposts.

Meanwhile, the two retail outfits the city initially subsidized have done well. In fact, some days (most recently Monday afternoon), the Eola Publix was more jammed than the Colonialtown store, which often has high sales/sf relative to other Publii. The movie theater has done well despite one of the most poorly designed parking garages known to man.

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

The 2020 Census numbers are in at last:

Central Florida sees huge growth over 10 years in 2020 Census
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-census-central-florida-20210812-fvd56bmkrzd7nl2c3tu4ize2vq-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
Depending on how trends go from here, OC could easily surpass Palm Beach County and slide past Hillsborough to become the state’s third largest county. Stay tuned…
  • Like 1

Some other fun stuff:

Duval is now a majority minority county; it also has passed Pinellas (St. Pete) in population.

South Florida is one of the slower growing urban areas in the state. In fact, Hialeah was one of the few large cities to lose population (only 1%). Meanwhile, Miami Beach lost 6%.

Orlando grew by 29 percent. Jacksonville grew by 16 percent. Tampa grew by 15 percent. Miami by 11 percent. St. Pete by 6 percent.

OC is more dense than Miami-Dade (1585/sq mile vs 1422) We’re the second most densely populated county in the state behind Broward.

Edited by spenser1058

22 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Some other fun stuff:

Duval is now a majority minority county; it also has passed Pinellas (St. Pete) in population.

South Florida is one of the slower growing urban areas in the state. In fact, Hialeah was one of the few large cities to lose population (only 1%). Meanwhile, Miami Beach lost 6%.

Orlando grew by 29 percent. Jacksonville grew by 16 percent. Tampa grew by 15 percent. Miami by 11 percent. St. Pete by 6 percent.

OC is more dense than Miami-Dade (1585/sq mile vs 1422) We’re the second most densely populated county in the state behind Broward.

I thought Pinellas was the densest county in Florida?

10 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

That would make sense given how teeny it is but not according to my source. I’ll recheck.

OK, here’s the deal. The list is for counties with population of 1,000,000 or more. Pinellas didn’t meet that threshold. So, it may still win including pops <1m. Seems an odd way to slice it. Good catch!

• Like 1

Some more Census comparisons from The Jaxson:

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/2020-census-data-released-how-does-jacksonville-rank

I don’t think I ever realized before just how relatively small WPB is. Also, it’s disquieting just how many of Florida’s largest cities like Palm Bay and Port St. Lucie were poorly designed developer money pits that are little more than suburbs on steroids.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, they finally updated the MSA list with the official census numbers and we’re back ahead of Charlotte where we belong at #22. 

We’re growing faster than they are so we should stay ahead but they have this little trick where they keep adding counties to their MSA to slip ahead of us. If they’d just let us have Volusia, we’d be ahead for good. @jrs2, work on that for us, please:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Hey, they finally updated the MSA list with the official census numbers and we’re back ahead of Charlotte where we belong at #22. 

We’re growing faster than they are so we should stay ahead but they have this little trick where they keep adding counties to their MSA to slip ahead of us. If they’d just let us have Volusia, we’d be ahead for good. @jrs2, work on that for us, please:)

I'll do my best!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hogtown leads the Sunshine State again in the annual US News rankings and is considered one of the finest public universities in the country.

Meanwhile, UCF did well in the “most innovative” category and Rollins did well in the South among the regional schools:

UF moves up, is Florida’s top college on U.S. News rankings again
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/education/os-ne-usnews-university-rankings-20210913-sowkyqqfx5fvhkhxelbix2wwbm-story.html

From The Sentinel 

On 9/2/2021 at 8:16 PM, spenser1058 said:

Hahaha the funny thing is Orlando keeps annexing land and sprawling which kinda skews the numbers a bit too. Both regions are pulling their own little tricks!

Did you know (DeLightful!) DeLand was Volusia’s fastest growing city in the last decade?

It could have been DeBary but once they heard @orange87 was leaving town, that was the end of that…

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/volusia/2021/09/17/2020-census-shows-flagler-outpaces-florida-growth-volusia-lags-behind/5536715001/

From The News Journal 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

What’s really scary is when you think about how much less land we have to spread out in than Texas. Let’s pray we grow much slower than they do or before you know it we’ll all be cheek by jowl with each other:

TALLAHASSEE — Florida trailed only Texas in population increases from 2020 to 2021, while the nation had the slowest growth rate in its history, according to information released Tuesday by the U.S. Census Bureau.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/florida/os-ne-florida-growth-census-bureau-20211221-sohrw4vsmbgwjagu5awccyroam-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• 2 months later...

Best place to post this. 

It's only what's considered Central Florida. I know that definition can change depending on which counties in each metro is included or not. 

1 space port, 2 air force bases, 6 international airports, 2 cruise ports, all major sports teams , 9 theme parks 7 water parks, two coasts, several downtown's, 1 commuter rail line, several transit agencies, and a wide array of communities from beachy, to central city, to farm/country.

Central Florida, as in the central part of the state isn't doing too bad. 

This doesn't include Marion, Indian River, or Manatee counties.

Screenshot_20220309-205704.png

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Best place to post this. 

It's only what's considered Central Florida. I know that definition can change depending on which counties in each metro is included or not. 

1 space port, 2 air force bases, 6 international airports, 2 cruise ports, all major sports teams , 9 theme parks 7 water parks, two coasts, several downtown's, 1 commuter rail line, several transit agencies, and a wide array of communities from beachy, to central city, to farm/country.

Central Florida, as in the central part of the state isn't doing too bad. 

This doesn't include Marion, Indian River, or Manatee counties.

Screenshot_20220309-205704.png

ORLAMPA!

• Like 1

The parachute man is gone, but there is a sign on I-4 (Polk City??? It's right by a tiny oil well) that says "Future Site of Downtown Orlampa" which obviously doesn't exist.  The man was hanging from the Fantasy of Flight advertising plane very nearby.  I think they removed him for a hurricane or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1