Puerto Rico

I was wondering what others thought about PR and if it should become a state or stay the same or become independent. How would it benefit the people the most. Becoming a state seems to me like the best for everyone. It would raise the standard of living there.

As far as keeping the home pride alive, places like Texas seem to still have a lot of pride for their history of being a nation at one time. And PR being isolated from the continent should keep their identity strong. I'm assuming heritage and history is a giant issue against statehood. Anyway, this could be a good thoughtful discussion.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really care. It would be interesting to see a 51st state though.

I believe I read somewhere thatTexas is the only state in the Union that can secede without a fight...because they used to be a nation.

California was an independent nation for about 6-8months before it enterd the Union.

• 6 months later...

The whole PR Political Status issue is a VERY hot topic down here in the island... I used to be ProStatehood and still am but that's the only political thing that im vaguely interested in, politics and me just dont go together.... nevertheless I can tell you that sooner or later PR will become a state, only 3-6% votes for Independence and the rest is divided almost equally by "remain a commonwealth" and "statehood" and commonwealth winning by a mere 2-3% a number that goes down on every plebiscite they do having statehood win more support. So I guess its only a matter of time. But down here they're fanatical about it... PR has one of the highest registered voter turnouts in the world with 80%.

I think it would be a plus for everyone involved if PR became the 51st state. I'm not sure where Puerto Rico would stack up with the current states as far as economic status and all that but I would assume it would be near the lower end. In that case it would be a big plus for PR to join the US as a state because it would open it up for a lot more federal funding. In addition to that it would be open to a lot more private funding as well because I think American companies would be much more willing to invest in PR if it were a state and not just a commonwealth. The biggest problem I see is how to rework the flag with 51 stars.... :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

That was a silly thing to ask.... Hawaii couldnt succeed from the nation even if it wanted. Think of how many Americans without passports visit that place.... And if were to become its own nation, we would have to have passports to visit and its alot of work to get a passport and most Amercans just dont do that.... Sorry, Hawaii will never become its own nation again.... :-(

In a few years puerto ricans will vote for PR to become a state,the REAL problem is if the people in the mainland accept us...

It would help PR ALOT and in a couple of decades it would be very good for the US too,imagine, a 2nd Hawaii...

You guys know whats funny?Most people that vote for PR to stay as a commonwealth are the ones that would benefit the most,they're mostly middle and low class.

Those are independentist or whatever they are lol (independentistas).

My neighbor is one of them. He's very patriotic, he protested at Vieques and everything that envolves being an independentist. BUT he takes federal aids for food, home etc.

He lives from the government. Now that's funny lol

I support statehood and, exept for the Pell Federal Grant, I don't get any aid from the government.

I think that in next plebiscite statehood will win. The people that support commonwealth didn't wanted statehood because of tax, but now that we have to pay tax, a big part of them will vote for statehood.

damn, my english is horrible, I know, but you can understand me right? xD

Those are independentist or whatever they are lol (independentistas).

My neighbor is one of them. He's very patriotic, he protested at Vieques and everything that envolves being an independentist. BUT he takes federal aids for food, home etc.

He lives from the government. Now that's funny lol

I support statehood and, exept for the Pell Federal Grant, I don't get any aid from the government.

I think that in next plebiscite statehood will win. The people that support commonwealth didn't wanted statehood because of tax, but now that we have to pay tax, a big part of them will vote for statehood.

damn, my english is horrible, I know, but you can understand me right? xD

LOL! I knew someone like that, rabid pro-independence supporter, and my father used to kid him all the time about him receiving Food Stamps and section 8 housing. Go figure! My family is mostly pro-statehood, myself included, By the way, who do you think would be better for the New Progressive Party(Statehood party)? Pedro Rossello or Luis Fortuno? Hey does anyone know what happened to SkyscraperCity? They've vanished!

It would be cool if Puerto Rico to become a state but i wonder just how much would change? What do you folks thing would be some really noticeable changes?

I do note the financial aid as DreamerGuy mentioned, hmm voting? Sometimes i wonder if America's ugly side would rear its head. I'm sure those that fear Hispanics especially because of all the immigration debate going would try to stir up trouble even though Puerto Ricans are US Citizens at birth and are able to travel and live freely anywhere in the US even with out statehood.

• 1 month later...

It would be cool if Puerto Rico to become a state but i wonder just how much would change? What do you folks thing would be some really noticeable changes?

I do note the financial aid as DreamerGuy mentioned, hmm voting? Sometimes i wonder if America's ugly side would rear its head. I'm sure those that fear Hispanics especially because of all the immigration debate going would try to stir up trouble even though Puerto Ricans are US Citizens at birth and are able to travel and live freely anywhere in the US even with out statehood.

BTW what are the school systems like in PR do they conduct schooling purely in Spanish or Spanish and English and if English is a part of the curriculum when is it taught? I'm kind of curious about how much of an impact English has on the education system there. Because many of the other places that are territories or commonwealths of the U.S. mainly have English as the main language of instruction and if you want to succeed in business or government levels knowing or using your native language is not necessarily used or useful for lack of a better term. So many are losing their languages or younger generations are refusing or not interested to learn their own languages because they have a better chance of making it by learning English. Another reason i'd imagine would be is that they probably feel that their homeland would be the only place it would be of any use thus limiting their options or restricting them to just their territory or commonwealth?

BTW what are the school systems like in PR do they conduct schooling purely in Spanish or Spanish and English and if English is a part of the curriculum when is it taught? I'm kind of curious about how much of an impact English has on the education system there. Because many of the other places that are territories or commonwealths of the U.S. mainly have English as the main language of instruction and if you want to succeed in business or government levels knowing or using your native language is not necessarily used or useful for lack of a better term. So many are losing their languages or younger generations are refusing or not interested to learn their own languages because they have a better chance of making it by learning English. Another reason i'd imagine would be is that they probably feel that their homeland would be the only place it would be of any use thus limiting their options or restricting them to just their territory or commonwealth?

So even though English is pretty wide spread in schools is home the main place where children learn Spanish then? What about in business settings? Is it mainly in Spanish? I'm just kind of wondering about the survival of the language on that island. The English language can sometimes be a killer of languages when its given a chance to become the dominate language.

So even though English is pretty wide spread in schools is home the main place where children learn Spanish then? What about in business settings? Is it mainly in Spanish? I'm just kind of wondering about the survival of the language on that island. The English language can sometimes be a killer of languages when its given a chance to become the dominate language.

Archived