Lake Ave. & Pine St. | 33-Story Mixed-Use [Proposed]

Jvest55

10 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I think I prefer the 50s modernism elements of the original rendering and the repetitive brise soliel over the podium garage ;)

I 110% prefer the original as well, and for the same reasons.  

BUT...this is the lot directly behind the Waverly.  This feels like a nice contextual nod to the neighborhood and I appreciate it.  A lot.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, uncreativeusername said:

BUT...this is the lot directly behind the Waverly.  This feels like a nice contextual nod to the neighborhood and I appreciate it.  A lot.

The same thought crossed my mind. My only concern is that the Waverly curves and this one may look a bit overbearing together. Like it though!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

The same thought crossed my mind. My only concern is that the Waverly curves and this one may look a bit overbearing together. Like it though!

It creates an interestinc arc crossing Pine. 

The original was just as contextual to Citi, but given how unique the Waverly feels in the neighborhood, I think it can better afford the company.  

Also, does this look like significantly more sq ft? There appears to be a third arm of the building, a rounded L shape?  I'm honestly not quite sure what I'm seeing.

Capture.JPG

Edited by uncreativeusername
  • Like 1

I like the way it looks up close, but with the L shape adding visual mass and and the wavy walls detracting from a sleek upward looking appearance, I think this design will look a bit chunky from a distance.  

Kind of a wavy version of 55 West without the Conquistador hat. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I like the way it looks up close, but with the L shape adding visual mass and and the wavy walls detracting from a sleek upward looking appearance, I think this design will look a bit chunky from a distance.  

Kind of a wavy version of 55 West without the Conquistador hat. 

100% this

I liked the thinner slender design before. This is another fat chunky building that I fear will morph with the waverly in front to form one gigantic fat blob.

looks a little too Miami Beach-ish for me. The other design seemed more refined...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

100% this

I liked the thinner slender design before. This is another fat chunky building that I fear will morph with the waverly in front to form one gigantic fat blob.

looks a little too Miami Beach-ish for me. The other design seemed more refined...

I think the 33 stories should alleviate the chunky feel, unlike CSP1 where it's basically just 24 stories!

15 hours ago, uncreativeusername said:

I don't think it's nice to steal 10% from someone else.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

Yeah, I was wondering how it would compliment Waverly.  Long story short, if it actually happens, worse case scenario its an interesting addition that you can justify the design choices even if they aren't your particular cup of tea.

Exactly. 

I have always hated the Waverly, but I feel like this big sibling would go a long ways toward making the Waverly feel less out of place.

9 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Remind me of the hospital on Orange lol

Winnie Palmer is one of my favorite buildings in Orlando. I definitely don't object to non-boxy buildings out of principal.

53 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I don't think it's nice to steal 10% from someone else.  

I guess I was just hungry.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, uncreativeusername said:

I have always hated the Waverly, but I feel like this big sibling would go a long ways toward making the Waverly feel less out of place.

Interesting... what don't you like about The Waverly? The colors or the architecture?

Just curious, because The Waverly is (and has always been) one of my favorite buildings downtown with some of the best views of Lake Eola and skyline IMO.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Interesting... what don't you like about The Waverly? The colors or the architecture?

I have asked myself the same question many times.

I think it's both.  A few years ago I replaced all the pink with white in Photoshop out of curiosity (I left the teal accents), and I definitely hated it less. (No idea where the file is, or I'd share.) 

At the same time, I have no objection to the color scheme of the Swan/Dolphin, so context is everything.  Now that I think about it deeper, I think my subconscious has always sort of seen the Waverly as sub-par Michael Graves.  The former strikes me as graceful, the latter as busy.  

50 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Just curious, because The Waverly is (and has always been) one of my favorite buildings downtown with some of the best views of Lake Eola and skyline IMO.

I certainly can't disagree on great views - especially since the Waverly would be notably absent in views from the Waverly.  Hahaha.