Lake Ave. & Pine St. | 33-Story Mixed-Use [Proposed]

Jvest55

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, OrlandoBeaver said:

This is awesome for downtown.. This, CSP2, Holocaust museum, and society are going to change downtown so much (and the Skyline).  Lets just hope this and CSP2 get going soon!

This won't break ground u til 4th quarter 2022 last I read. Art Museum has to work some things out.  But this article is updates and says spring or summer 2022. I'll need to see an actual design to believe them since this is still all conceptual but I love this. I love the idea of more art, trees, colors, gardens downtown. Loch Heaven is nice but our transit isn't set up to make a trip there without a car unfortunately. More things in the downtown core is great. It's be nice to have the science Center downtown near Lake Eola or something but that's a different topic. 

Beautiful idea though about this building. Interesting they are keeping the hotel part of this and building condos and not apartments. That's a great sign for downtown Orlando.

7 hours ago, ajc said:

It's shorter in height. Interesting. Unless this image is just a mark up to show the intent.

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn
  • Like 1

I know I'll be seen as a heretic around here for this, but like Zoi House, I hope it never gets built.

IMO, it's too massive for that neighborhood and those kinds of huge buildings are destroying the charm of Eola South.

I'd like to see the St Regis stay where it's at and some narrower, smaller footprint building go up there instead. 

This thing is just another big, fat, land gobbling chunk.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's hard to tell from the pics. Is it still 33-stories? Regardless, getting an art museum in our downtown takes us one step closer to being a "real" city. I can't think of a single "real" city that doesn't have an art museum in it's downtown. Even (Delightful!) DeLand has at least one art museum in it's downtown.

23 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I know I'll be seen as a heretic around here for this, but like Zoi House, I hope it never gets built.

IMO, it's too massive for that neighborhood and those kinds of huge buildings are destroying the charm of Eola South.

I'd like to see the St Regis stay where it's at and some narrower, smaller footprint building go up there instead. 

I wish the museum was still going in the original planned spot near DPCPA.

Edited by orange87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Seems unsafe. Especially in light of what pool water did to that condo that collapsed in South Florida a little while ago.

Was that the pool water?  I thought it was sea water and lack of maintenance.  I thought the source of the collapse was well north of the pool and closer to the planters/deck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, orange87 said:

Seems unsafe. Especially in light of what pool water did to that condo that collapsed in South Florida a little while ago.

2 hours ago, codypet said:

Was that the pool water?  I thought it was sea water and lack of maintenance.  I thought the source of the collapse was well north of the pool and closer to the planters/deck.

Still seems like a bad idea, especially when they could easily have designed the pool around the column. Just build a peninsula out and around the column. You don't lose that much pool area whilst creating a shady spot for people to park their chaise lounges if they want to get out of the sun. Add three or four feet onto the length to make up for it. Etc., etc. 

2 hours ago, Tim3167 said:

I’m not a structural engineer or have not even stayed at a holiday inn express recently but I have to think that if water is a known part of the equation then it’s perfectly reasonable to design with that in mind and have it be perfectly safe. 

There's probably thicker concrete around the part that's under water.

Or maybe it's just a situation they encountered while doing the preliminary rendering and the final design will be amended. 

But still, it seems like an accident waiting to happen. Some doofus is swimming under water with his eyes closed or he's too busy ogling the loins of some young gal in a thong bikini to pay attention to where he's going, when WHAM!!! he swims noggin first into the column.  

Edited by JFW657
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Density at 33 stories!! Nuff said

21 hours ago, codypet said:

Yes, the pool area was not part of the initial collapsed area, the most likely cause from what is out so far was intrusion or rain or irrigation water from the planter bed into the column that was behind the plant beds, combined with ignoring obvious signs of the problem for a long time.

20 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Ahh ok I thought this was going somewhere downtown. That would’ve been huge 

Nothing wrong with the Lake Ivanhoe location.... if they'd ever build it.

Like everything else in Orlando, it has to spend a good decade or so in the planning/talking about phase before some scaled back version of it finally gets built.

They must still be figuring out how to "Orlando" it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have to marvel at the lengths OMA will go to in order to move past its reputation as the perpetual poor stepchild of Orlando’s arts organizations.

This is the second downtown developer it has jumped in bed with plus the Lake Nona debacle (will Ms. Ponte be next?) I’m willing to speculate most of its patrons prefer Loch Haven anyway and its location in an arts park that is a unique gem for Orlando. The verdant setting is also more convenient to all the many arts facilities in nearby Winter Park.

I’ll also take a moment to correct a couple of misstatements noted previously. Loch Haven is by no means inconvenient to reach. Of course there’s SunRail and there are frequent Lynx routes which pass by OMA on 17-92 and head into Loch Haven via Orange Ave. en route to AdventHealth and Winter Park. By car, it’s all of a couple of exits from downtown on I4. Heck, it’s even close to OUT. Best of all, Loch Haven is keeping its TREES!

As to art museums having to be downtown, Atlanta’s High Museum and Sarasota’s Ringling seem to be doing just fine away from their cores, to name but two. 

Meanwhile, right here at home, Orlando’s Fringe Festival, arguably the most accessible arts event in the area, has absolutely thrived since leaving downtown for Loch Haven.

We might also note that Loch Haven is the traditional home for the arts locally. Bob Carr was long the outlier and DPCPA’s location was a close race between downtown and Loch Haven.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Loch Haven is an underutilized and under appreciated asset in Orlando. 

Why not build out the museum there?

As for the “real” city comment: LA forces you to endure interstate hell through the 405 to a parking lot. Then you walk a bit to a gondola.

Then you are at the Getty. 
Im not saying that I agree to it but I think most agree that LA is a “real” city. 
The Getty isn’t downtown.

LACMA isn’t either. It’s in the Miracle Mile. Although they will be getting that purple line extension soon.

Point being: what’s a real city?

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1