133 KVB (two 49 story towers of 574’ & 512’ featuring condos, apartments, hotel, ground level retail, public park & 8 levels of parking)

Paramount747

9 minutes ago, ariesjow said:

Love the idea of a massive, 40-story complex on KVB. However, I loathe these preliminary renderings. It's time for Nashville to move beyond large buildings with the overly kitschy, heavy-handed guitar themes. I'm fine with more subtle nods to the city's musical heritage like we've seen in the MCC and proposed Embassy Suites/Curio. I also love the idea of more retail (as long as it's not aimed strictly at tourists!). It's going to be a hard "hell to the no" on a giant guitars on buildings for me, though.  

I feel your sentiment here and agree that the whole guitar thing is kinda tacky, but unless I'm missing something, nobody has actually built one yet. We've seen several proposals riffing on the idea, but none have ever come to fruition. It's not like the city is overflowing with them already, right?

Personally, I feel like there's room for one here somewhere so that the whole developer community can get the whole gaudy idea out of their systems.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vrtigo said:

I feel your sentiment here and agree that the whole guitar thing is kinda tacky, but unless I'm missing something, nobody has actually built one yet. We've seen several proposals riffing on the idea, but none have ever come to fruition. It's not like the city is overflowing with them already, right?

I see what you did there.     

But, yes, there is a direct negative correlation between the size of the "guitar component" in the rendering and the likelihood of the project getting off the ground.          

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ariesjow said:

Love the idea of a massive, 40-story complex on KVB. However, I loathe these preliminary renderings. It's time for Nashville to move beyond large buildings with the overly kitschy, heavy-handed guitar themes. I'm fine with more subtle nods to the city's musical heritage like we've seen in the MCC and proposed Embassy Suites/Curio. I also love the idea of more retail (as long as it's not aimed strictly at tourists!). It's going to be a hard "hell to the no" on a giant guitars on buildings for me, though.  

12 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

Personally, I feel like there's room for one here somewhere so that the whole developer community can get the whole gaudy idea out of their systems.

One of the very few remnants of kitsch I can endorse are a few remaining mid-20th C larger-than-life monuments like Randy's Donuts of Inglewood Ca.
kitsch-randys-donuts_35680_600x450.jpg

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

• smeagolsfree changed the title to Hard Rock Hotel/ One World Hotel/40 stories/ 500 million
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, CityHeart said:

Looks like Fort Lauderdale, Florida is getting their own guitar shaped Hard Rock Hotel. They beat us.. Darn. :tw_frown:

http://www.thenextmiami.com/construction-underway-giant-guitar-shaped-hotel-completion-super-bowl-2020/

Miami Guitar.jpg

I actually like that. The only thing that would make it sweeter would be to extend the fret and put a headstock on it for an observatory. 

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

This is officially dead in the water according to NBJ today.

Now: The Disney-led group had been under contract to buy the land for $20 million, according to an investor presentation obtained by the Nashville Business Journal. That contract lapsed in December 2016, before our original story ran. In the months that followed, the Disneys did not execute their envisioned deal. A message to Disney was not returned.

Next: Frank May, the Nashville investor who owns the 1.2-acre property at 133 Korean Veterans Blvd., has newly listed the site for sale. The asking price is now up to $23 million, said his broker, Stuart Wiston. “We’ve got several people talking to us at various stages of interest. Nothing is signed at this point,” Wiston said. He said the property could be split into two pieces, each fronting Korean Veterans Boulevard. Doing so would enable separate buyers to both take advantage of the 30-story building height automatically allowed under Metro zoning.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/02/22/scorecard-disney-family-members-envision-giant.html

5 minutes ago, markhollin said:

This is officially dead in the water according to NBJ today.

Now: The Disney-led group had been under contract to buy the land for $20 million, according to an investor presentation obtained by the Nashville Business Journal. That contract lapsed in December 2016, before our original story ran. In the months that followed, the Disneys did not execute their envisioned deal. A message to Disney was not returned.

Next: Frank May, the Nashville investor who owns the 1.2-acre property at 133 Korean Veterans Blvd., has newly listed the site for sale. The asking price is now up to $23 million, said his broker, Stuart Wiston. “We’ve got several people talking to us at various stages of interest. Nothing is signed at this point,” Wiston said. He said the property could be split into two pieces, each fronting Korean Veterans Boulevard. Doing so would enable separate buyers to both take advantage of the 30-story building height automatically allowed under Metro zoning.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/02/22/scorecard-disney-family-members-envision-giant.html

I’m sure my fellow UP’ers will join me in expressions of shock that this completely reasonable project isn’t going to happen...

159D0A66-61A7-4EF3-8DAB-8E90F1AD7D16.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

This 40 story hotel project is now officially dead. The 1.22 acre property is back on sale again by Frank May.  Asking price is now $23.5 million, which is $442 per square foot.  It is attracting substantial interest according to Benchmark Realty, which is handling the sale.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20999860/highprofile-sobro-property-now-listed-for-235m

KVB & Hermitage Frank May site, April, 2018.jpg

• Like 1