Retail Trends That May Affect Central Florida

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

Well, what I and many others were predicting re: the $15/hr min wage is already beginning to occur....

dollartree01.jpg

dollartree02.jpg

Look for prices across the board on everything else to begin rising in the near future as well as fewer jobs as companies look to technology to replace human labor.

And let's not lull ourselves into thinking this is the end. The traditional unskilled, low-wage workers will not be satisfied with this. They are going to keep on demanding more and more as long as society gives in. 

Just yesterday, and again this morning, I saw on the news, demonstrations here in Orlando by these folks, demanding that the $15/hr not be phased in as the law dictates, but that they get it....

News video report link:

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orange-county/workers-rally-higher-wages-same-day-florida-minimum-wage-bumps-10/BZHBFAD4ORD4RETVCZ3XSB3M7I/

Or maybe, as many of us knew all along, it’s just an exploitative business model. If your employees can’t make a living wage, you’re not doing it right.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Or maybe, as many of us knew all along, it’s just an exploitative business model. If your employees can’t make a living wage, you’re not doing it right.

Or.... maybe too many people nowadays live beyond their means because we have created a society of mindless consumers who have to have every shiny new gadget and pretty thing that gets dangled before them.

Here's another novel idea...  don't start a family  until you  make enough money to support a family. 

As I saw somewhere.... "There are too many people around who want $15 an hour while having a $3 an hour work ethic."

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Or.... maybe too many people nowadays live beyond their means because we have created a society of mindless consumers who have to have every shiny new gadget and pretty thing that gets dangled before them.

Here's another novel idea...  don't start a family  until you  make enough money to support a family. 

As I saw somewhere.... "There are too many people around who want $15 an hour while having a $3 an hour work ethic."

Will you be bringing back St. Ronnie’s welfare queens in a pink Cadillac next? 

30 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Will you be bringing back St. Ronnie’s welfare queens in a pink Cadillac next? 

Oh, I get it.... you're insinuating that I'm a racist by suggesting that I'm only talking about people of a certain ethnicity. 

Not surprising.

But wrong.

I'm talking about almost everyone under 40 nowadays, including white, hipster minimum wage Starbucks baristas and Best Buy clerks, etc., etc., etc., who are supposedly struggling to get by. All the while texting and gabbing with their friends all day on the latest smartphones, having hundreds of dollars worth of tattoos and puffing away on some exotic vaping.... stuff.

Here's a little basic arithmetic on the subject....

A young minimum wage couple both make $8.50 an hour. 

That comes to $17.00 an hour between them x 40 hours per week = $680 per week x 4.3 weeks per month = $2924.00 a month gross monthly income.

Minus $1200.00 rent = 1724.00, minus $300 utilities/cable/internet/phone = 1424.00, minus $600 per month for 2 car payments = $824.00, ÷ by 4.3 weeks per month = $191.63 per week left for groceries, gas, and other miscellaneous expenses.

Are they getting rich? No.

But $200 a week after all the bills are paid isn't starving either.

And who ever told them an unskilled, minimum wage job was going allow them to amass wealth?

Need some extra pocket money? Do what I used to do.... get a 2nd part time job.  Go to school at night and get trained for a higher paying position. 

If people would stop wasting money on unnecessary crap, they'd find it reasonably easy to get by on $8 - $10 an hour.

And BTW.... your "...St. Ronnie's welfare queen..." was an actual person who engaged in exactly what she was accused of and worse...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2013/12/linda_taylor_welfare_queen_ronald_reagan_made_her_a_notorious_american_villain.html 

5 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Oh, I get it.... you're insinuating that I'm a racist by suggesting that I'm only talking about people of a certain ethnicity. 

Not surprising.

But wrong.

I'm talking about almost everyone under 40 nowadays, including white, hipster minimum wage Starbucks baristas and Best Buy clerks, etc., etc., etc., who are supposedly struggling to get by. All the while texting and gabbing with their friends all day on the latest smartphones, having hundreds of dollars worth of tattoos and puffing away on some exotic vaping.... stuff.

Here's a little basic arithmetic on the subject....

A young minimum wage couple both make $8.50 an hour. 

That comes to $17.00 an hour between them x 40 hours per week = $680 per week x 4.3 weeks per month = $2924.00 a month gross monthly income.

Minus $1200.00 rent = 1724.00, minus $300 utilities/cable/internet/phone = 1424.00, minus $600 per month for 2 car payments = $824.00, ÷ by 4.3 weeks per month = $191.63 per week left for groceries, gas, and other miscellaneous expenses.

Are they getting rich? No.

But $200 a week after all the bills are paid isn't starving either.

And who ever told them an unskilled, minimum wage job was going allow them to amass wealth?

Need some extra pocket money? Do what I used to do.... get a 2nd part time job.  Go to school at night and get trained for a higher paying position. 

If people would stop wasting money on unnecessary crap, they'd find it reasonably easy to get by on $8 - $10 an hour.

And BTW.... your "...St. Ronnie's welfare queen..." was an actual person who engaged in exactly what she was accused of and worse...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2013/12/linda_taylor_welfare_queen_ronald_reagan_made_her_a_notorious_american_villain.html 

Problem #1 with your argument: you're basing this on a two-person income. Clear demonstration you don't actually anticipate anyone to survive on those wages. 

Problem #2: you do not factor in that they will have limited means of promotion without schooling, and seeing how you left $0 in the budget for savings or miscellaneous, they would have to go into debt to go to night classes, etc. Debt, when you are making $8.25 an hour, equals 20-30% interest if they're lucky. This means even if they get the certificates they desire, they will have a negative net worth. 

Problem #3: what happens when the Starbucks they work at decides to raise their prices without raising the wages? Then the markets around Starbucks raise their prices. Now our couple cannot even afford to buy groceries on the $100 a week you left them. Which, by the way, is way below their food needs. 

Problem #4: You do not factor in insurance: if they have two cars and are two people insurance would cost near $500. so far, with groceries, insurance, and debt, they are nearing -$1000 a month... fun times. 

Problem #5: There is this weird fascination with the older generation with not living your life but simply surviving until you're too old and too worn out to enjoy it. If they get a second job, they won't be happy, and they won't be living life... just hamsters on a wheel waiting to retire. 

Problem #6: I have a bachelor's degree in management and ten years of management experience. Yet, Companies are not interested in hiring me in any position higher than entry-level, so it is fair to say that assuming they could go to night school to get a higher paying position is an assumption. Every high-paying position I have gotten has been received via networking.. which our couple doesn't have time for while working two jobs and night school; I say night school because no matter how much I network, I still need my necessary credentials. 

Problem #7: Oh No! one of their cars sprang a flat tire... that's $100 on a credit card ( remember no money left over for savings) which in 3 months becomes almost $300... for a single tire. Being poor is fun! 

Edited by Ttmath
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ttmath said:

Problem #1 with your argument: you're basing this on a two-person income. Clear demonstration you don't actually anticipate anyone to survive on those wages. 

Problem #2: you do not factor in that they will have limited means of promotion without schooling, and seeing how you left $0 in the budget for savings or miscellaneous, they would have to go into debt to go to night classes, etc. Debt, when you are making $8.25 an hour, equals 20-30% interest if they're lucky. This means even if they get the certificates they desire, they will have a negative net worth. 

Problem #3: what happens when the Starbucks they work at decides to raise their prices without raising the wages? Then the markets around Starbucks raise their prices. Now our couple cannot even afford to buy groceries on the $100 a week you left them. Which, by the way, is way below their food needs. 

Problem #4: You do not factor in insurance: if they have two cars and are two people insurance would cost near $500. so far, with groceries, insurance, and debt, they are nearing -$1000 a month... fun times. 

Problem #5: There is this weird fascination with the older generation with not living your life but simply surviving until you're too old and too worn out to enjoy it. If they get a second job, they won't be happy, and they won't be living life... just hamsters on a wheel waiting to retire. 

Problem #6: I have a bachelor's degree in management and ten years of management experience. Yet, Companies are not interested in hiring me in any position higher than entry-level, so it is fair to say that assuming they could go to night school to get a higher paying position is an assumption. Every high-paying position I have gotten has been received via networking.. which our couple doesn't have time for while working two jobs and night school; I say night school because no matter how much I network, I still need my necessary credentials. 

Problem #7: Oh No! one of their cars sprang a flat tire... that's $100 on a credit card ( remember no money left over for savings) which in 3 months becomes almost $300... for a single tire. Being poor is fun! 

I call BS on all of that. 

And let me say also that I purposely estimated certain expenses like rent, on the high side.

I'm pretty sure one can get an apartment for less than $1200 a month.

Might not be a hip, trendy downtown highrise, but hey.... too bad. 

Anyway, as to the point-by-point...

1) Get a roommate.

I did.

And I lived. 

"Oh but JFW657.... what if I don't want a roommate??? What if having a roommate makes  me uncomfortable????"  :cry:

Made me uncomfortable, too.

Too bad.

Deal with it.

I did.

2.) They should have considered that before moving out of their parents' home, shouldn't they have? 

But still, let's assume they didn't. People make mistakes when they're young. I understand that. 

If one wants to go go back to school, there are schools around town like Orlando Tech, Mid Florida tech, Winter Park Tech, etc., that are very affordable and are operated by OCPS on a non-profit, break even basis. You can enroll in certificate programs in various tech fields like IT & CADD. Mechanical trades like HVAC & Refrigeration. Clerical fields like Court Reporting, or Culinary, or Medical Records Technology, Surgical Assisting, etc, etc. 

3.) Thank you for providing a perfect example of why Starbucks should not be forced to pay someone with no real skills $15 an hour to pour coffee. 

And honestly... the notion that every grocery store in town is going to raise their prices because Starbucks raised theirs is pretty far fetched. 

But thanks to the new $15 an hour minimum wage, Starbucks almost certainly will raise their prices.

Get ready for $6 or $7 a cup coffee there. 

Or else much of it will be self service, like at a Wawa to cut down the number of employees.

So.... even fewer jobs will be available.

4.) One does not have to own a brand new car. Lots of decent quality used cars to be had.

Also, drive like a mature adult, don't get speeding tickets or have accidents, etc., and your insurance won't be anywhere near $500 a month.

More like $500 - $600 a year or about $40 - $50 a month/$10 - $12 a week.

5.) Tough s_ _ t. It's nobody else's responsibility to pay more for things so the current young generation can live happy, carefree lives. Nobody ever promised an easy life to those of us who grew up in the real world that existed before the current precious snowflake world. People toughed things out and became better and stronger men and women  for it. They rose above their circumstances and made their lives work. Was it all a Sunday picnic in the park? No it was not. But that, as they say, is life.

And honestly.... how galling it is to hear someone say...

"But Mr Old Meanie... I don't WANT to work hard and sacrifice!!! I want to have fun!!!! GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!!"  

I don't know who convinced this whiny generation that life was a big party and they were entitled to have things handed to them, but whoever it was let them down. 

6.) Degrees in things like business management have become little more than expensive wall decorations nowadays. The real money is in hands on skills. Get a certificate from a vocational-tech school and you'll make enough to get by on. And the program will only last around 18 months rather than 4 years.

7.) A hundred bucks for a flat tire????

Funny... I just had a flat repaired at Big 10 Tires on S. Orange Ave. about a month ago.

Cost me $30. 

Anyway.... everything we're talking about here boils down to common sense and certain basic rules of life

Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Don't buy things (like a car) you cannot afford.

Don't try to live above your means. 

Don't waste your money on things you can live without, like expensive tattoos, piercings, vacations, nightclubbing, etc. 

And most importantly of all.... DON'T START A FAMILY UNTIL YOU ARE SURE YOU CAN SUPPORT ONE!!!! 

Edited by JFW657

2 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I wonder when @JFW657 will get out of the closet and realize he's not a liberal. :tw_joy:

Hint: Just because you hate Trump doesn't mean you're a liberal if you have no actual liberal viewpoints.

He’s from the Joe Manchin wing of the Democratic Party. It does explain why he’s such a fan of Buddy because he is also.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I wonder when @JFW657 will get out of the closet and realize he's not a liberal. :tw_joy:

Hint: Just because you hate Trump doesn't mean you're a liberal if you have no actual liberal viewpoints.

I never claimed to be a liberal.

I'm a centrist Democrat.

And yes, I do Hate Trump. 

After all.... what's not to hate? 

8 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

He’s from the Joe Manchin wing of the Democratic Party. It does explain why he’s such a fan of Buddy because he is also.

The "Joe Manchin wing" is ideologically closer to the vast majority of Democrats than Bernie "Old BS" Sanders or that ding-a-ling AOC.

He is more  conservative than most Democrats because he holds office in a very conservative state.

The progs have hijacked my party and are giving us all a bad name even though the majority of the Dems in Congress are much more centrist.

The progs are just the opposite side of the same coin as the tea party. 

Spoiled, entitled extremists who refuse to compromise for the good of the party or even society.

I view them both with nearly equal levels of disgust. 

19 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I call BS on all of that. 

And let me say also that I purposely estimated certain expenses like rent, on the high side.

I'm pretty sure one can get an apartment for less than $1200 a month.

Might not be a hip, trendy downtown highrise, but hey.... too bad. 

Anyway, as to the point-by-point...

1) Get a roommate.

I did.

And I lived. 

"Oh but JFW657.... what if I don't want a roommate??? What if having a roommate makes  me uncomfortable????"  :cry:

Made me uncomfortable, too.

Too bad.

Deal with it.

I did.

2.) They should have considered that before moving out of their parents' home, shouldn't they have? 

But still, let's assume they didn't. People make mistakes when they're young. I understand that. 

If one wants to go go back to school, there are schools around town like Orlando Tech, Mid Florida tech, Winter Park Tech, etc., that are very affordable and are operated by OCPS on a non-profit, break even basis. You can enroll in certificate programs in various tech fields like IT & CADD. Mechanical trades like HVAC & Refrigeration. Clerical fields like Court Reporting, or Culinary, or Medical Records Technology, Surgical Assisting, etc, etc. 

3.) Thank you for providing a perfect example of why Starbucks should not be forced to pay someone with no real skills $15 an hour to pour coffee. 

And honestly... the notion that every grocery store in town is going to raise their prices because Starbucks raised theirs is pretty far fetched. 

But thanks to the new $15 an hour minimum wage, Starbucks almost certainly will raise their prices.

Get ready for $6 or $7 a cup coffee there. 

Or else much of it will be self service, like at a Wawa to cut down the number of employees.

So.... even fewer jobs will be available.

4.) One does not have to own a brand new car. Lots of decent quality used cars to be had.

Also, drive like a mature adult, don't get speeding tickets or have accidents, etc., and your insurance won't be anywhere near $500 a month.

More like $500 - $600 a year or about $40 - $50 a month/$10 - $12 a week.

5.) Tough s_ _ t. It's nobody else's responsibility to pay more for things so the current young generation can live happy, carefree lives. Nobody ever promised an easy life to those of us who grew up in the real world that existed before the current precious snowflake world. People toughed things out and became better and stronger men and women  for it. They rose above their circumstances and made their lives work. Was it all a Sunday picnic in the park? No it was not. But that, as they say, is life.

And honestly.... how galling it is to hear someone say...

"But Mr Old Meanie... I don't WANT to work hard and sacrifice!!! I want to have fun!!!! GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!!"  

I don't know who convinced this whiny generation that life was a big party and they were entitled to have things handed to them, but whoever it was let them down. 

6.) Degrees in things like business management have become little more than expensive wall decorations nowadays. The real money is in hands on skills. Get a certificate from a vocational-tech school and you'll make enough to get by on. And the program will only last around 18 months rather than 4 years.

7.) A hundred bucks for a flat tire????

Funny... I just had a flat repaired at Big 10 Tires on S. Orange Ave. about a month ago.

Cost me $30. 

Anyway.... everything we're talking about here boils down to common sense and certain basic rules of life

Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Don't buy things (like a car) you cannot afford.

Don't try to live above your means. 

Don't waste your money on things you can live without, like expensive tattoos, piercings, vacations, nightclubbing, etc. 

And most importantly of all.... DON'T START A FAMILY UNTIL YOU ARE SURE YOU CAN SUPPORT ONE!!!! 

Sir I think you need to read my response again you responding to things I did not state. Also, You clearly don’t understand the principle of zero dollars. And the notion of “ don’t move out your parents house” is a very privileged one. Please understand that paying wages and have not increased yet living cost has. Really not that complicated it’s taught in middle school civics. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I never claimed to be a liberal.

I'm a centrist Democrat.

And yes, I do Hate Trump. 

After all.... what's not to hate? 

The "Joe Manchin wing" is ideologically closer to the vast majority of Democrats than Bernie "Old BS" Sanders or that ding-a-ling AOC.

He is more  conservative than most Democrats because he holds office in a very conservative state.

The progs have hijacked my party and are giving us all a bad name even though the majority of the Dems in Congress are much more centrist.

The progs are just the opposite side of the same coin as the tea party. 

Spoiled, entitled extremists who refuse to compromise for the good of the party or even society.

I view them both with nearly equal levels of disgust. 

By the way I too am a centrist . I have not and never intend to vote for a liberal. However I  think you have some misguided notion of what that means. To suffer in life because everyone else is doing it?
I notice whenever people say pull yourself up by your bootstraps they never mention the multiple raises a year CEOs get in addition to bonuses. But squawk at middle class people for asking for raises. The situation is becoming so bad that the once coveted 45k salary is barely enough to support a single individual… don’t even mention a family. And In América today to send just one child to school you need to make more than 70k. So cost has inflated and wages haven’t. 

8 hours ago, Ttmath said:

Sir I think you need to read my response again you responding to things I did not state. Also, You clearly don’t understand the principle of zero dollars. And the notion of “ don’t move out your parents house” is a very privileged one. Please understand that paying wages and have not increased yet living cost has. Really not that complicated it’s taught in middle school civics. 

Not true. I read your response thoroughly and I responded to everything you said as directly as I could. If the principle of "zero dollars" is the same as "flat broke", I understand it. I just never allowed myself to arrive in that situation. 

There is nothing "privileged" about staying in one's parents' house while attending post secondary education/training classes. Lots of people do it. OK, maybe some people don't have parents. Small percentage of the population. Doesn't mean the rest of the world has to change to accomodate a tiny few. 

Also, the average wages have increased over the years. I recall a minimum wage of $3.65 per hour. And less. Certainly the minimum wage should increase, but I cannot get behind paying 16 year old, middle class high school kids $15 an hour to screw up my order at McDonalds. 

I could see putting some age limitations on that amount. Say, 21 or 18, but only if head of household. 

What this is likely to do, is put job opportunities out of reach for teenagers. Why should a manager of a fast food joint hire a possibly unreliable teenager with no track record and pay them $15/hr when they could hire an established middle aged adult or a retiree with a long, established work history and plenty of references attesting to their dependability and job performance? 

Not to mention the speeding up of automation.

McD's is already using touch screen kiosks to place/take orders. Soon, it will be like the self check outs at grocery stores. Put in your card or feed in cash, get your change back. No human involvement. And there are food prep robots who can cook and assemble a hamburger to order and do a better job than some kid who doesn't really give a crap. 

8 hours ago, Ttmath said:

By the way I too am a centrist . I have not and never intend to vote for a liberal. However I  think you have some misguided notion of what that means. To suffer in life because everyone else is doing it?
I notice whenever people say pull yourself up by your bootstraps they never mention the multiple raises a year CEOs get in addition to bonuses. But squawk at middle class people for asking for raises. The situation is becoming so bad that the once coveted 45k salary is barely enough to support a single individual… don’t even mention a family. And In América today to send just one child to school you need to make more than 70k. So cost has inflated and wages haven’t. 

You say you're not a liberal, yet you champion the most fundamental plank in the progressive, Bernie/AOC platform. That being the $15/hr min wage. And I would be more than just surprised to learn you are not also in favor of free community college, universal free health care and free, govt paid day care, basic free income for everyone, etc. 

Sounds pretty liberal to me.

Maybe you are the one with the misguided notions as to your political leanings.

As for what CEO's get compensated, that is a totally separate issue. Me not being in favor of paying adult wages to children to do jobs that don't rate those wages and will only serve to raise prices and kill jobs, is not tantamount to being in favor of greedy CEO's raking in obscene amounts of money. But just for the record.... the majority of what CEO's make comes from stock ownership, not base salary. 

Lastly, I think you're somewhat overstating the level of salary it takes for one to live. If one person cannot live on $45K ($865/wk) they are doing something very wrong. But I also understand the propensity of some nowadays, to base the concept of "living" on the idea of having as much of the best of everything one wants all the time and right now, with no sacrifice, self denial or value of working towards achieving one's goals involved.

The snowflake generation was afterall, raised by the adults in their lives, to believe that they are rare and special and deserving of  everything their little hearts desire, just by virtue of their being.

We used to call that being "spoiled". 

Nowadays I think that attitude is called "entitled".  

An interesting article on the emergence of 'dark stores,' local fulfillment centers used for online orders.  It talks about corporations converting existing storefronts to dark or partially dark locations where there's little to no actual shopping.   We've been seeing a bifurcation of retail shopping in recent years where staples are ordered online and people are looking for experiences in buying any other goods.  This is part of that trend and could have big impact for smaller tenants of large retail strips that depend on traffic generated by grocery stores to drive business.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90549066/the-rise-of-dark-stores-and-how-they-could-save-struggling-retail?partner=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=rss+fastcompany&utm_content=rss 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, smileguy said:

An interesting article on the emergence of 'dark stores,' local fulfillment centers used for online orders.  It talks about corporations converting existing storefronts to dark or partially dark locations where there's little to no actual shopping.   We've been seeing a bifurcation of retail shopping in recent years where staples are ordered online and people are looking for experiences in buying any other goods.  This is part of that trend and could have big impact for smaller tenants of large retail strips that depend on traffic generated by grocery stores to drive business.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90549066/the-rise-of-dark-stores-and-how-they-could-save-struggling-retail?partner=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=rss+fastcompany&utm_content=rss 

I know I’m swimming upstream on this (and it’s probably ‘cuz I’m getting as cranky in my dotage as @JFW657 •runs• ) but I’m gravitating lately back to shopping in stores.

I did some early online stuff on Prodigy (if only Sears and IBM had made a go of that, think how different retail might be today) and then pretty much shifted online in the mid ‘90’s so it’s been an adventure. 

My green friends have also been after me about it so there’s that. Fortunately, neither BB or Nordstrom in Jax are in an actual mall so my mall days are still in the rear-view mirror.

• 2 weeks later...

Walgreens may stop selling tobacco products: report
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-ne-walgreens-may-stop-selling-tobacco-products-20211018-tal44ccz7bhktmxjj63sgwdm2u-story.html

Head on over to 7-Eleven for your Cokes and smokes. They’re happy to help you cut your life short (if the Trumpsters don’t do it first by talking you out of your vaccine)…

From The Sentinel 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dollar Tree announced today that most of its products will now be $1.25.

”Dollar And A Quarter Tree” just doesn’t roll off the tongue, does it?

Otoh, Woolworth’s and the other “dime” stores thrived for decades after most of their products were more than 10c so perhaps it’s not existential for DT.

• 1 month later...

Lots of changes headed for Waterford Lakes including a new concept Nike Unite store. That’s especially interesting as UCF is pondering a change of outfitters (they’ve been with Nike thanks to a Phil Knight -Scott Frost connection from Oregon).

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-waterford-lakes-nike-store-20211228-laj2ntewkfb6tgrpi3qackuxxm-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this should go here or somewhere else. I'll add my commentary, then cut and paste the press release below. 

-I'm thinking of the Save-A-lot in Rosemont but it could apply to a lot of the other ones in the area. These sites are great locations in redeveloping communities, I'm curious how interested Ascend would be in switching out the SAL in certain areas for a more upscale option. 

-The increase in ethnic foods could play into the developing ethnic enclaves we're now seeing in parts of town. Even beyond the most famous ones on 50, there's a budding Little India on OBT near Oak Ridge, a growing presence of Mexican culture in the Zellwood area, and others I'm sure I'm missing. 

Save A Lot Expands Retail Partnership Throughout Orlando Metropolitan Area as Company Converts Corporate Stores to New Ownership

Ascend Grocery, LLC, Takes Over 33 Save A Lot Locations as the Newest Go-To Hometown Grocer

ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Save A Lot, one of the largest discount grocery chains in the U.S., today announced the completion in December of the sale of 33 company-owned stores across the greater Orlando area to Ascend Grocery, LLC, as part of the discount grocer’s ongoing efforts to convert corporate-owned stores to local ownership.

Ascend Grocery was co-founded and is led by industry veteran Chris Sherrell, founder and former CEO of Fresh Thyme Farmers Market and former CEO of Sunflower Farmers Market. Sherrell has built a seasoned team of leaders to drive the business, with a focus on elevating the employee experience and building long-term community partnerships.

“It’s an honor to partner with Save A Lot. By combining the brand’s great quality and low prices with our understanding of how to provide superior customer service and an outstanding shopping experience, I believe we can make a real impact for customers in the greater Orlando area,” said Chris Sherrell, CEO of Ascend Grocery, LLC. “Our passion is in serving customers by creating opportunities for employees and in immersing ourselves within the greater community. Having happy employees who take pride in their work leads to customers having the best shopping experience in town.”

As part of the conversion, Ascend Grocery will retain the 400 store associates who work at the 33 Save A Lot stores, which will continue serving each neighborhood with an emphasis on convenience and high-quality products at a great value and extraordinary customer service. Stores will also increase their assortment of ethnic and locally sourced food items to better serve customers in meaningful ways, with a focus on providing a wider variety of fresh and quality produce and meats.

Beginning this year, all Ascend Grocery stores will undergo a significant remodel to fully reflect Save A Lot’s updated brand image. This will deliver an enhanced shopping environment both inside and outside the stores, including new décor, upgraded flooring and lighting as well as updated produce and meat cases.

Giving back and being involved in each community served are also key tenets of Ascend Grocery’s business plan. The company will seek to form new partnerships with food pantries, charities, local associations and other key community organizations that will allow it to do good within the community and help support its customer base.

“Ascend Grocery is a world-class, high-caliber team of grocers who will bring an extraordinary level of experience to our stores in Orlando,” said Tim Schroder, Chief Sales and Marketing Officer at Save A Lot. “Their commitment to serve customers, community and employees, together with Save A Lot’s mission of providing convenient access to high-quality foods, will be a winning combination. I’m confident their continued investment in the Orlando market will lead to a profound impact on how customers enjoy the Save A Lot experience for many years to come.”

Solomon Partners served as financial advisor to Save A Lot in connection with the transaction.

About Ascend Grocery, LLC
Ascend Grocery, LLC (“Ascend Grocery”) was founded by a team of highly successful and experienced grocery and investment executives to acquire and open new Save A Lot Hometown Grocer locations in established and new markets. Ascend Grocery aspires to best serve its customers and communities by providing high quality products, at affordable prices with a superior retail experience.

About Save A Lot
Founded in 1977, Save A Lot is one of the largest discount grocery store chains in the U.S., with over 900 stores in 32 states. Save A Lot remains true to its mission of being a neighborhood grocer, providing unmatched quality and value to local families. Customers enjoy significant savings compared to traditional grocery stores on great tasting, high quality private label brands, national brand products, USDA-inspected meat, farm-fresh fruits and vegetables, and other non-food items. For more information visit www.SaveALot.com and follow Save A Lot on Facebook (facebook.com/savealot) and Instagram (@SaveALotFoodStores).

Contacts

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Family Dollar, a unit of Dollar Tree, shuts down 400 stores and begins massive recall after the FDA finds incredible filth and worse in a West Memphis distribution center:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/02/20/family-dollar-recall-fda-rodents/

From The Washington Post 

Gosh, when the developer was president, the FDA never insisted on safety and cleanliness. Those doggone Democrats!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can Publix withstand the assault of an expanding Amazon? The Lakeland Ledger thinks so:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/business/economy/2022/03/16/publix-amazon-grocery-sales-market-florida-impact-publix/6797752001/

Via the News-Journal 

It’s interesting to ponder just how many huge grocers Publix has chased out of Florida over the years, many of whom no longer exist (did you know A&P was once America’s largest retailer?). Publix soldiers on and remains pretty much impregnable in its home of Fortress Florida. 

It’s also worth noting the notion that people shop on price alone is disproved by Publix. The important metric is value.