Retail Trends That May Affect Central Florida

• 4 weeks later...

I’ll put this one in here with Tampa is still considered CFLA to some:

Barrys Bootcamp will open its first Tampa location on Hyde Park soon — 

https://thatssotampa.com/barrys-bootcamp-tampa/amp/

They choose their markets based on economic indicators, as they are not a cheap workout. Further indications that there is confidence in what Tampa is doing these days.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I’ll put this one in here with Tampa is still considered CFLA to some:

Barrys Bootcamp will open its first Tampa location on Hyde Park soon — 

https://thatssotampa.com/barrys-bootcamp-tampa/amp/

They choose their markets based on economic indicators, as they are not a cheap workout. Further indications that there is confidence in what Tampa is doing these days.

And to think I left Hyde Park. Oh, well…guess I’ll have to stick with the Roper Y. I’m also glad to have a pool where I’m living now and the WOT makes it so much easier to ride than it ever was in downtown O-town. 

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...

The New York Post is reporting that the mall magnates who own JCPenney are making a bid to buy rival retailer Kohl’s. So far, Simon/Brookfield is denying this.

Penney is primarily mall-based while Kohl’s tends to locate in suburban strip centers. As a result, there would be little overlap between the chains.

Both are struggling, so this begs the question of a Sears/Kmart linkup which failed, although the Penney and Kohl’s businesses are more closely related.

Stay tuned to see if this is real..

• 2 months later...

Are you Target’s typical shopper?

”It turns out that Target's typical shopper is a white suburban mother between 35 and 44. And Numerator's analysis found this average shopper has some college education or a four-year degree, plus a household income of $80,000. 

“This typical shopper spends about $49/trip and visits every other Saturday.

“About 8 of 10 Americans shop at Target sometime each year.”

From MSN

31 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Are you Target’s typical shopper?

Nah...older and rate of visits sort of depends on the weather....the SODO Target is a great rainy day shopping trip because you can go without getting wet.

I do like that their prices are lower than Publix on a lot of stuff but the selection seems a bit limited to me (first world problem, I know). We've mostly been shopping at the Walmart market for groceries but that's been a little chaotic lately as they are remodeling the store. The in store bathrooms are closed and they have a bathroom trailer outside in front of the store. When that arrangement started I swear someone was peeing in the aisles as there was a strong urine oder in the store. We skipped going there for a couple of weeks and it seemed better last week. :ermm:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

Nah...older and rate of visits sort of depends on the weather....the SODO Target is a great rainy day shopping trip because you can go without getting wet.

I do like that their prices are lower than Publix on a lot of stuff but the selection seems a bit limited to me (first world problem, I know). We've mostly been shopping at the Walmart market for groceries but that's been a little chaotic lately as they are remodeling the store. The in store bathrooms are closed and they have a bathroom trailer outside in front of the store. When that arrangement started I swear someone was peeing in the aisles as there was a strong urine oder in the store. We skipped going there for a couple of weeks and it seemed better last week. :ermm:

This may just be me because I only shopped in the small Publix format stores (Eola and last year while in Jax at Riverside), but one reason it got easier to give up Publix was shrinking selection. Meanwhile, as Good and Gather rolled out, I found more interesting things at Target to try (a must-have are G&G frozen garlic cubes, which none of my Publii had a version of).

One thing I’ve discovered at Target is there are things online that I rarely see in the store. That works out for me since I mostly do Drive Up these days.

Edited by spenser1058

10 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

I'm intrigued...

They’re so much more pungent than garlic powder and not nearly as much hassle as fiddling with the garlic press. They make me very happy. They’re also not expensive.

https://www.target.com/p/frozen-crushed-garlic-cubes-2-8oz-good-38-gather-8482/-/A-78470748

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

OK, so you knew I was working on a $15 reward for spending $45 three times at Target and I did that with yesterday’s online order. But this week they’re also offering a $10 gift card if you buy $40 worth of groceries so I also qualified for that. With the additional $7.32 saved for RedCard and other specials, I ended up with $32.32 worth of savings on a $65 order. Bullseye is my hero! Not to mention Target’s prices are lower than Publix’ to begin with…

I will have to get @HankStrongto get me some Unicorn Rainbow Sprinkles ice cream from Kroger, tho.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

OK, so you knew I was working on a $15 reward for spending $45 three times at Target and I did that with yesterday’s online order. But this week they’re also offering a $10 gift card if you buy $40 worth of groceries so I also qualified for that. With the additional $7.32 saved for RedCard and other specials, I ended up with $32.32 worth of savings on a $65 order. Bullseye is my hero! Not to mention Target’s prices are lower than Publix’ to begin with…

I will have to get @HankStrongto get me some Unicorn Rainbow Sprinkles ice cream from Kroger, tho.

It's the best

• Like 1

Hmmmm - the next Target Circle earnings offer is $15 for doing a one-time $75 purchase. Being single, this one’s a little harder. I’ll just have to order a 12-pack of paper towels and bar soap (yep, we old folks still use that). Fortunately, I have ‘til August 27. Bullseye’s gonna make me work for this one!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2022 at 2:32 PM, spenser1058 said:

They’re so much more pungent than garlic powder and not nearly as much hassle as fiddling with the garlic press. They make me very happy. They’re also not expensive.

https://www.target.com/p/frozen-crushed-garlic-cubes-2-8oz-good-38-gather-8482/-/A-78470748

Thank you @spenser1058! These frozen garlic pods are my new favorite thing! Also they have frozen ginger! What a time to be alive! :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

Thank you @spenser1058! These frozen garlic pods are my new favorite thing! Also they have frozen ginger! What a time to be alive! :)

I’m glad they worked for you - even if Target stops selling everything else, I’d be happy just with those. I have no clue why there doesn’t seem to be a Publix version. (Don’t tell anyone but Publix ice cream is infinitely better than Favorite Day at Target but Up & Up dish soap runs circles around the Publix brand - at Publix I had to buy Dawn but the store brand at Target is equal to Dawn - not sure you can wash birds with it, though).

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

TSC, sort of a cross between Hood Tractor and LL Bean, has been one of the cool kids in retailing of late. It turns out they have a store in Oakland but it seems @Tim3167 has been keeping it all to himself… oh well, time to head west and pick up some Carhartts!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/store_Oakland-FL-34787_2568

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bring back General Cinema Corporation!

https://youtu.be/v0JtaqinNCo

The Parkwood Cinema once had the most incredible screen in town (it was said to be the largest in the South).

Fun Fact: did you know at one point GCC owned Neiman-Marcus (aka “needless markup” in some circles)?

In this piece by Cinema Treasures, it notes 2 screens but that came later (late ‘70’s) and basically destroyed how things were projected on the screen as well as the general quality of the theater. The ‘70’s almost destroyed the movie theater business (for example. the Interstate 6 AMC Theaters in Altamonte - the first AMC in town) were horrid little boxes.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/54447

Edited by spenser1058

Bed, Bath & Beyond to cut 20% of workforce, close 150 stores as part of financial restructuring
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/ct-aud-nw-bed-bath-beyond-layoffs-store-closures-ap-20220831-gsvv43hli5hwfdt54v4wya4lzu-story.html

From The Sentinel 

No word how many local stores we may lose. I’ve never been a BB&B fan so I’m meh about it.

On 8/31/2022 at 12:41 PM, spenser1058 said:

Bed, Bath & Beyond to cut 20% of workforce, close 150 stores as part of financial restructuring
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/ct-aud-nw-bed-bath-beyond-layoffs-store-closures-ap-20220831-gsvv43hli5hwfdt54v4wya4lzu-story.html

From The Sentinel 

No word how many local stores we may lose. I’ve never been a BB&B fan so I’m meh about it.

And their CFO seems to have jumped from a building over the weekend.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/06/bed-bath-beyond-shares-decline-after-cfos-death.html

• Sad 1