Retail Trends That May Affect Central Florida

What’s interesting to me is that folks find consolidation in the grocery business surprising. We’ve been seeing the same thing in the dry goods (department store) business going on even longer.

It’s essentially the same dynamic. Once upon a time, there were laws that tried to prevent such things from happening. Once those were removed, the move toward monopoly or at least monopsony is almost inevitable in a capitalistic system. Adam Smith told us about it way back in 1776.

Edited by spenser1058

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I wonder what's the "real" story behind their closing. Earth Fare has been around since the 70's and to run a company into the ground so quickly after expanding seems a bit reckless. They had financing lined up and would've planned for misc variables during the company's growing phase, so I'm not buying their sudden surprise about being in debt. Something just seems sketchy...

Macy’s announces 100 more stores to close over the next 3 years in addition to the last wave that included Sanford.

No word yet if this next group will include OFS but the company did say it will focus on “lower tier malls”. Fashion Square is about as low as it gets these days.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/4659187002

I saw a tweet that Publix was to purchase the Lucky's lease at Pineloch and perhaps convert it to a "Greenwise" stand alone.  Did anybody else see this or hear similar (or different)?

And, what about Novel Lucerne and Earthfare?  Any word on a replacement grocer plan there?

Edited by jrs2

• 2 weeks later...

7-Eleven in exclusive talks to acquire Speedway convenience stores and gas stations:  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-speedway-seven-i-hldgs/japans-seven-i-says-it-is-considering-deals-after-reported-22-billion-speedway-talks-idUSKBN20E11T

Could be more friendly 7-Eleven stores coming to a gas station near you!

OH THANK HEAVEN!

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

In-store pickup and drive up is bringing more upscale customers to Walmart and increasing grocery sales for Target as they revamp their offerings:

https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/2020/02/24/can-grocery-insulate-walmart-and-target-from-onlin.aspx

From The Motley Fool

I have now switched from Publix to SuperTarget for produce - it’s cheaper and (surprisingly) often fresher and better quality.

Target’s pre-packaged beef is generally fresh and less expensive than Publix. If you need a custom cut at Target, though, you’re out of luck as there’s no in-store butcher.

I mostly eat seafood and that’s a no-go for me at Target as they only offer frozen, pre-packaged options that are meh.

Bakery and Deli remain Publix strong points.

Edited by spenser1058

20 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

In-store pickup and drive up is bringing more upscale customers to Walmart and increasing grocery sales for Target as they revamp their offerings:

https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/2020/02/24/can-grocery-insulate-walmart-and-target-from-onlin.aspx

From The Motley Fool

I have now switched from Publix to SuperTarget for produce - it’s cheaper and (surprisingly) often fresher and better quality.

Target’s pre-packaged beef is generally fresh and less expensive than Publix. If you need a custom cut at Target, though, you’re out of luck as there’s no in-store butcher.

I mostly eat seafood and that’s a no-go for me at Target as they only offer frozen, pre-packaged options that are meh.

Bakery and Deli remain Publix strong points.

Thanks. I go to target at least once a week but never look in their produce section. I need to seriously consider it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Fyi, all of the seafood you buy at Publix has been frozen even though it may not be pre-packaged.

Actually, not all of it. They do have some that is never frozen but you’re right, much of it is. Some of the shrimp are just taken from the packages in the freezer case.

The products are marked but you can also ask the folks behind the seafood counter. At the Eola Publix, Stephen is my go-to guy who really knows his stuff.

Even if you buy the $9.99/lb farmed and frozen salmon, for example, it’s cut after thawing in-store when it arrives and so the texture is still much better to me than the ones in the frozen case processed in tiny little plastic packets.

33 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Tupperware stock lost half its value this week. It is now trading the lowest it has ever been.  Down from over $95 in 2013 to less than $3 today. . . OUCH! 

Maybe we can turn it into a Virgin Trains headquarters. 

Given it’s one of the few corporate HQ’s we have, I’d like to hang on to them as long as we can. Let’s have a UP Tupperware party- I know you’re just dying to get a Velveeta Keeper!

Part of the problem is the stuff is an indestructible as a Twinkie - I have stuff my mom passed on to me 40 years ago and she’d had it at least 30 years before that. After a while, your kitchen is stacked up in Wondelier bowls..

When my grandma died, my sister & I inherited so much Tupperware.  So much.  My brother didn't want any of it, but it was still way too much for the two of us to split.  Our mom has so much of her own.

When I got married, my wife sent a bunch of it to Goodwill, so hopefully my grandma's treasure trove is still out there somewhere being used by some random people.

• Like 2

After introducing premium products like Good & Gather in grocery and Open Story luggage to their growing list of private labels, The Motley Fool notes an interesting phenomenon: “It’s not embarrassing to shop at Target”.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/02/17/what-target-launching-a-luggage-line-says-about-it.aspx