Will the University City area ever be cleaned up?

jb4563

I always recommend to anyone who asks to please read and understand the deed restrictions on a property before they purchase it. I have lived in places in Charlotte where they have had them and places where they don't have them. Generally I prefer the neighborhoods where they do have deed restrictions because they keep people from doing ugly things to their property. We can't count on them having the same good taste that I have. :lol:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm from the property rights camp....I believe the city can enforce everything it needs to through zoning and land use policy....though I don't mind the Historic Districts.

The problem is what is considered good taste one day, is bad the next, and having your neighbors dictate taste is never a desireable position.....to me at least.

When I lived off Country Club Drive in Midwood one of my neighbors decided to have an affair with some woman on the other side of the country. In order to communicate with this woman he built a 75 ft tower with an antenna on top of it so that he could operate some kind of illegal transmitter to talk to his "love interest". Well the tower was quite ugly but there were no restrictions that could be used to make him take it down and we had to endure living with it for a number of months.

You might ask how I knew the purpose of this tower. Well everytime he used it, the power of the transmitter would override every piece of electronic equipment in my house. So instead of the cartoons on TV I would hear him making woo to his woman. Fortunately the FCC got wind of it and shut him down, but the tower remained until he moved out. The deed restrictions where I live now specifically preclude the erection of transmission towers.

Yet, homes in Midwood currently sell for much more per square foot than anything in Cornelius not on the lake, and their time in the market is dramatically less.

Actually, after running some comps, homes in Midwood sell for more than homes actually on the lake in every subdivison besides the Peninsula.

Again, I believe that everything that needs to be addressed as far as land restrictions can be covered in zoning (and overlay districts if need be) and land use policy directed by the municipal districts......but then again, different strokes for different folks, and if some people need the comfort of knowing what their nieghbors can and can't do, then go for it.

My simple arguement/question, is that what makes these neighborhoods desirable in 30-40 years, when newer neighborhoods with similar ammenties (and restrictions) are being built a couple of miles away? I'm sure that they are bastions of WASP pride now, but so was the area around Eastland at one point. I just don't like the idea of an area being unable to adapt/evolve, because if the Olmstead boys had put restrictions preventing the addition of non-brick additions on houses in Dilworth, it very likely could still be the crime-ridden ghetto it once was.

Actually if you are doing the comps looking @ price per sq/ft then you have to consider the average house in the lake area is much much larger than what you find in Midwood. If you look at absolute price then Midwood does not even come close.

In any case, what people are willing to pay for property is their business but it usually has little to do with common sense. I moved from Midwood when I concluded it was not a safe place to walk around at night and I got tired of having my VCR stolen every few months to feed a drug habit. From what I understand from my former contacts there it is still just as bad.

I am thoroughly convinced there is a real estate bubble in the USA right now, (and is being documented on NBC this week) and it will eventually come crashing down as did the tech stock bust in the late 90s.

BTW, what does Cornelus have to do with any of this?

I drove down South Blvd a few weeks ago going the long way from the Concord Area to Comp USA on South Blvd, and it's nothing but Garbage now from Southend to the AMC theatre.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not that bad. The area is largely international. I kind of like that. I hope more places like Overseas Market open up there. I agree, there are some blighted areas, but it's not complete garbage. It just needs a hand guiding development.

I really think one of the biggest issues is that UNC Charlotte isn't a big enough advocate for that area.

I don't play down what a hidden gem that University is...it has provided a lot to Charlotte...and will provide even more.

But, they have sat in their own bubble, and let the city make a disgusting mess of that area where it is virtually impossible to be a pedestrian or bicyclist.

It also lacks the feel of a university area. You don't really have lots of businesses catering to college students that are walking around and sitting on sidewalks sipping coffee. You could plop any of those businesses and strip centers anywhere in the county without the University anywhere near them. And you could have a person drive around that area and never know they were near a University (except for the businesses with University or College in the name).

UNC Charlotte needs to be a bigger advocate for zoning and development in that area, but is it too late?

They need to ban freshman from driving once the light rail corridor comes that way.

Thanks for getting us back on topic. ;)

I think banning freshman from having a car on campus is a fine idea, that is pretty standard in "urban" campuses across the country, though the university should actively develop some of it's land for commercial uses, primarily retail to serve the student body.

Whether or not the university will become an active promoter of UC will depend a lot of Dubois once he starts. Woodward was a great champion of academic and student body expansion, and spread UNCC's name up and down the east coast.....however he largely ignored his backyard. In fact, he was anti light-rail when it was first proposed to the UNCC, and made some never-publisized comments regarding the safety of its female students from transit-using rapists living along the rail line in North Charlotte. This narrow-minded view of his surroundings pretty much explains why UNCC has continued to exist in a bubble.

UNCC is a nice campus, but the surrounding area is a dump. The university and city of CLT should have considered pedestrian friendly areas for students to walk to for shopping, gathering, eating and relaxing. That brings in more business and adds a look and feel of a university. It still has the feel of a school in the middle of a cow pasture with heavy traffic surrounding.

A University shuttle around campus would be cool since all of the shopping and restaurants are not in walking distance. They do make busses that run off of environment friendly fuel. The busses and city vehicles in Phoenix, AZ use them.

There is already a CATS bus that does what you describe.  Here is the schedule & route.

Route 249

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice start, but I think the University needs to be more active with this route. It should be more "in-depth".

The University of Maryland at College Park has a nice on-campus/off-campus bus system that lets students ride for free to major shopping areas and to off-campus houseing.

Thanks for getting us back on topic.  ;)

I think banning freshman from having a car on campus is a fine idea, that is pretty standard in "urban" campuses across the country, though the university should actively develop some of it's land for commercial uses, primarily retail to serve the student body.

Whether or not the university will become an active promoter of UC will depend a lot of Dubois once he starts.  Woodward was a great champion of academic and student body expansion, and spread UNCC's name up and down the east coast.....however he largely ignored his backyard.  In fact, he was anti light-rail when it was first proposed to the UNCC, and made some never-publisized comments regarding the safety of its female students from transit-using rapists living along the rail line in North Charlotte.  This narrow-minded view of his surroundings pretty much explains why UNCC has continued to exist in a bubble.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, Woodward isn't too far off base in speculating that the bad element from N. Tryon would be more likely to come to the University to commit crime. The University itself already has a lot of "transient" activity in regards to car break-ins.

Hopefully, people interested in getting the University to more of an advocate for the area will write Dubois and let him know that the University has a vital interest in making the main corridors nicer in looks and for pedestrians. I know that UNCC has a lot on its plate in getting more national recognition and getting full funding from the state.

By the way, what is up with the new street signs in the University area?

I don't know if I like them.

First, it makes the University area seem like it is no longer part of Charlotte. Part of Charlotte being Charlotte are the "Crown" street signs.

Plus, the new street signs have a stylized UC where the crown would be, but you cannot even see the design because it so small.

I think I would rather have "gateway" signs like Ballantyne or Uptown has instead of special street signs.

Nice start, but I think the University needs to be more active with this route.  It should be more "in-depth".

The University of Maryland at College Park has a nice on-campus/off-campus bus system that lets students ride for free to major shopping areas and to off-campus houseing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well nothing is free. Do you suggest the school forgo some of its programs or raise rates to pay for something already provided by the city? I bet that won't go over very well.

Are we all in agreement that the new University City logo is rediculous?

As a part-time student at UNC-C, it pains me to drive up there for classes. Universtiy City has no redeeming qualities. You take your life into your hands trying to walk from UNC-C to anything off campus; trying to cross N Tryon St is a life/death enterprise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, good news for this area:

1. The University City group that oversees the extra tax from this area has announced plans to redo Tryon Street from 85 to past the University. Improvements include improving the 85 interchange, adding landcaping/curbs, and making the area more pedistrian friendly

2. UNC Charlotte has announced invitations to design/build its new main entrance on University City Blvd. (which will include moving it a little further south)

They need to do something about Harris Blvd, it's like a quasi expressway. Another note though, if University City was an actual city it would be about the size of Durham or Winston-Salem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

based on population or area? this doesn't seem correct to me for some reason.

Population, the Observer wrote about it when University City recieved their special tax district. But University City is broad, because some would consider Concord Mills area too. The area in the actual special tax district is much smaller doesn't have the population of Winston-Salem or Durham.

Archived