Spartanburg Comprehensive Plan

Spartan

We are waiting on the consultant to add the two elements that got missed in the initial draft - state law changed to require a resiliency element in 2020, after they had started to work.  Additionally, there was one more that got missed.  So there had to be some negotiating.  The commission could have put it forward with the missing elements, but some people who spoke at the hearing were upset at some typos in the document and wanted it to be edited, and also wanted an implementation plan.  So those were being fixed.  It is on the Planning Commission's agenda for this week - it is a standing item on the agenda each month (there was no meeting in August.)  

The staff always gives an update at each planning commission meeting as to where they are in the process of getting all of those questions addressed - and also about plans to begin updating the zoning ordinance, which is the first major step toward implementation.  I hope the 2022 comprehensive plan can be approved in 2022!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, westsider28 said:

What has happened to this plan?  There has been no mention of it for months.  Nothing on the CC or PC agendas.  We cannot let this fall through the cracks!  This is a hugely important document to the future of the City.  It must be passed ASAP, so we can move on to the important task of rewriting the zoning code, before we get a rush of poorly-designed development.  It is so important to creating the safe, walkable, and green (climate-wise and tree-wise) City that we need moving forward!

This is something I've been thinking for a few weeks now, I thought it might've passed over the summer since I wasn't here in Spartanburg,  but it would be very concerning for all city boards to just forget about the entire plan

On 9/13/2022 at 11:54 AM, camtology said:

This is something I've been thinking for a few weeks now, I thought it might've passed over the summer since I wasn't here in Spartanburg,  but it would be very concerning for all city boards to just forget about the entire plan

The city staff can't just forget about it - first, they've paid a lot of money to the consultants to draft it, and two, having a comp plan is a legal requirement to be able to enact zoning.  I get the sense that council, the staff, and certainly the planning commission are irritated that it's dragged out.  However,  there was also public pressure this summer to get it right rather than to get it fast.  I'd rather get it right, and also have some idea of how to implement it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, it's going to be a few more months before it gets adopted. I have no intel on the schedule, but adding a new section not only requires work, but likely  requires some extra cash to add the scope and potentially council or City Manager approval for the new contract. It takes time for these things to happen, for work to get started, to determine how/if new public engagement is needed, etc. But rest assured that they've spent a good bit of money on this plan, and it's a really good plan. They won't abandon it.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Updated timeline from last night's Planning Commission meeting: consultants should have the new plan (with previously missing items now included) to City staff in December, public engagement in January, Planning Commission approval in February, and CC approval and adoption in March.  Fingers crossed there won't be any more significant delays.  The most important stuff comes after Comp Plan adoption: implementation (i.e. zoning update).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 1:44 PM, westsider28 said:

Comp Plan approval is up for vote at the Planning Commission's Thursday, March 16 meeting.  If approved by them, it would then go to City Council for final approval.

Also somewhat related, I finally found an interactive City Zoning map!

Gold Star post. The City has been (well, still is) a long way behind in the tech/data sharing game. Glad to see this is finally online!

• Like 2

Planning Commission unanimously recommended approval of the Comprehensive Plan at their meeting last night!

It now goes to City Council for first reading at their April 10 meeting.  There will be an opportunity for public comment, should you feel inclined to speak in favor of adoption.  Assuming adoption, the process to rewrite the zoning code will then begin.  The City is, however, still looking for a planning director to lead that process.  So if you know anyone...

They're going to need to find a consultant to guide the rewrite of the zoning ordinance.  There will be a lot of decisions to be made, and the comprehensive plan does have a lot of recommendations.  At the lowest, the city needs to bring existing zoning into conformity with the new land use map.  That might require rezoning a number of parcels.  Another question might be changing things in the use table - should things that are allowed in each zone be disallowed, or are things that are not allowed (like ADU's) be allowed.  

And finally, looking at some of the "center infill" districts in the land use map - things like the Westgate area, or the Hillcrest-Spartan High area - should those get a design review district of their own with a form-based code to begin to bring some coherence to those "town center" parts of the city.  

But I don't know that any of this can happen without a director of city planning to guide the process.  

• Like 3

On 3/18/2023 at 1:45 PM, Historyguy said:

They're going to need to find a consultant to guide the rewrite of the zoning ordinance.  There will be a lot of decisions to be made, and the comprehensive plan does have a lot of recommendations.  At the lowest, the city needs to bring existing zoning into conformity with the new land use map.  That might require rezoning a number of parcels.  Another question might be changing things in the use table - should things that are allowed in each zone be disallowed, or are things that are not allowed (like ADU's) be allowed.  

And finally, looking at some of the "center infill" districts in the land use map - things like the Westgate area, or the Hillcrest-Spartan High area - should those get a design review district of their own with a form-based code to begin to bring some coherence to those "town center" parts of the city.  

But I don't know that any of this can happen without a director of city planning to guide the process.  

I wanted to ask how would the adoption of the new comprehensive plan affect the speed at which a lot of projects occur, it seems that right now there are a lot of projects that are just waiting to start for a variety of reasons (like the 100-E main redevelopment, the EM Catalyst project, and the Aden Bonded Warehouse all being in between approval and construction for different reasons) 

• 3 weeks later...

Comp Plan is on the City Council agenda for approval on Monday (4.10.2023 Agenda Packet.pdf).  However, among many public comments, there are several requests to pause approval until a tiered/priority/hierarchy implementation list is drafted.  The idea is to make sure the Plan is immediately put into action with concrete plans and accountability.  I can get behind that.

Another great recommendation for an amendment to the Plan comes from the HARB: Protect historic buildings by requiring HARB notification and approval before demolition of historic structures older than 100 years within the cityHighly in favor of that amendment.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 3:46 PM, westsider28 said:

Comp Plan is on the City Council agenda for approval on Monday (4.10.2023 Agenda Packet.pdf).  However, among many public comments, there are several requests to pause approval until a tiered/priority/hierarchy implementation list is drafted.  The idea is to make sure the Plan is immediately put into action with concrete plans and accountability.  I can get behind that.

Another great recommendation for an amendment to the Plan comes from the HARB: Protect historic buildings by requiring HARB notification and approval before demolition of historic structures older than 100 years within the cityHighly in favor of that amendment.

would these amendments require that the plan go back to the county council for reapproval with the amendments?

3 hours ago, camtology said:

would these amendments require that the plan go back to the county council for reapproval with the amendments?

City Council. I think they could theoretically add them to a vote tonight, if they so choose. Or they could delay approval to have staff add the amendments.  Or they could be added after-the-fact and/or as part of the zoning update.  Anyway, I think there's several options.  We'll have to see what they decide to do tonight.

City Council tabled adoption of the comprehensive plan, with one of the main reasons being that there are typos/edits that still need to be made, and it will take at least 30 days to have that happen.

There were also many questions about how to implement the recommendations presented in the plan and, hence, what document(s) should be adopted alongside it, with some residents asking that it be done simultaneously. 

Stay tuned!

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

The Comprehensive Plan is back on Monday's City Council agenda for potential approval.  It now includes an Implementation Matrix.  Staff's initial implementation priorities (pg 16 of Agenda Packet) include:

Update the Zoning Ordinance and Land Use Regulations to support the development of
mixed income neighborhoods, increase housing diversity, encourage high-quality mixed-use
development along commercial corridors, expand the use of form-based code, and increase
density while ensuring neighborhood stability.

Continue to support, promote, and invest in initiatives structured to advance the economic
mobility of youth and communities
, led by our local partners (Spartanburg Academic
Movement, Northside Development Group, United Way of the Piedmont, One Spartanburg
Inc., Workforce Investment Board, local Colleges, and Universities, etc.), with emphasis on
the intersectionality of education, health, housing, workforce, business development,
transportation, community-based leadership, and social capital.

Encourage and support through regulatory policy, incentives, or financial support compact,
mixed-use development that responds to the wants and needs of residents, workers,
students, and visitors
. While Downtown has— and should continue to have—the greatest mix
of uses at the highest intensities, other areas, as shown on the Growth & Conservation Map,
are also appropriate. Such areas are intended to complement, not compete with, Downtown.
On a smaller scale, neighborhood centers and older retail areas should also accommodate a
mix of uses.

Initiate the process of becoming a nationally accredited parks and recreation agency. A
process that aims to build a comprehensive management system of operational best
practices, while sustaining high quality, inclusive, and accessible programs, facilities, and
events that are influenced and supported by community members.

Ensure downtown Spartanburg is welcoming and inclusive for all residents. This could include
a range of tools from historic interpretation of the history of Spartanburg from different
perspectives, creating amenities and programs that facilitate bringing communities together,
and a focus on businesses that are owned by traditionally under-represented populations.
Seek input from BIPOC residents to determine what would make downtown feel more
welcoming.

Continue to be a leader amongst local government agencies in efforts related to Racial
Equity:

• Sustain membership and affiliation with the Government Alliance on Race and Equity
(a national network of government working to achieve racial equity and advance
opportunities for all)
• Continue to participate and support the Spartanburg Racial Equity Collaborative (A
collaboration of organizations and individuals committed to advancing racial equity in
Spartanburg through strategic efforts focused on listening, learning, collaboration,
reconciliation, and relationship building)
• Sustain our investment and support of initiatives that cultivate the growth of African
American and Minority Businesses: (MWBE/City, Amplify/City, Start-Me/NDG, Power-
Up/One Spartanburg)
• Continue to invest in Community-based Leadership Programs: (Voyagers, Grassroots
Leadership Development Institute, Highland Neighborhood Leadership institute, etc.)
• Continue to maintain and operate community centers in low wealth neighborhoods:
(Dr. TK Gregg, CC Woodson, Thornton)
• Continue to facilitate opportunities that strengthens our residents’ relationship and
understanding of government policies, and operations.: (Citizen Academy and Citizen
Advisory Council)

Continue to develop, expand, and improve upon existing agencies and programs, and funding
mechanisms to further provide housing, homeownership, shelter, temporary housing, or
transition housing for all segments of the homeless population
including men, women, youth,
elderly, disabled, veterans, and those with mental illnesses and/or addictions.

Work with Spartanburg County, SPATS, and SCDOT and other partners to improve the
community's transportation infrastructure
that foster access to job opportunities and
increase families access to a livable wage, provide transportation to essential needs, and
create a robust and safe transportation network throughout the community.

The City of Spartanburg will continue to research and deploy smart technology that helps
connect our residents and keep our systems current and secure. To ensure the best quality of
life for our residents the City will work to integrate connected services, such as traffic
systems and app-based communications tools. The City will, as appropriate, investigate
emerging technologies to make sure that our services securely meet the needs of our
residents, businesses, and guests.

Sounds good to me.  I hope City Council votes to approve, so we can continue to move forward with this process.

• Like 1