Your State's Previous Capitals

ironchapman

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Detroit:

From 1805 to 1847 the town was the territorial and state capitol of Michigan. Though Detroit fell to the British for a short time during the War of 1812 (see: Battle of Detroit), it was recaptured by Gen. William Henry Harrison in 1813.

Capital City:

* Detroit, 1837-1847 officially as Michigan became a state

• 1 month later...

Vermont's previous capital was Windsor. The capital was moved to Montpelier in 1805.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Montpelier is also the smallest capital city in the nation. (Just for the record, Phoenix is the largest capital in the nation, DC included!)

From 1663-1854 Rhode Island had five cities that took turns being the capital (in the 5 counties, I would assume the cities were Providence, Warwick, Bristol, Newport, and Wakefield). From 1854-1900 Providence and Newport were co-capitals, Providence became the sole capital in 1900.

I belive in the State of Florida before it became a US Territory in 1821, Pensacola and St. Augustine sort of alternated government centers, but I dont think it was official or anything like that. But Tallahasse (midway between the two cities) has been the capital sence 1824, allthough Florida didnt become a state untill 1845.

How did this setup run?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know really, it would make sense for Newport to be the summer capital. Though Rhode Island currently has a part-time General Assembly, and they're off in the summer. Newport was the largest city in the state for quite some time (it was one of the largest cities in the country in colonial times), so I would assume that Newport had more of the lead role in the relationship.

I don't know really, it would make sense for Newport to be the summer capital. Though Rhode Island currently has a part-time General Assembly, and they're off in the summer. Newport was the largest city in the state for quite some time (it was one of the largest cities in the country in colonial times), so I would assume that Newport had more of the lead role in the relationship.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I did some searching. It turns out that they held it jointly. Newport held the key session because of it's greater importance in the annual elections sessions than Providence, but the adjourning session was held in Providence.

I found it here:

State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations Journal of the House of Represenatives

Look in the Speech of Dr. Patrick T Conley, it should be the eleventh paragraph.

• 4 months later...

Detroit was Michigan's first territorial capital when the area was still very much a northwestern outpost. The first capitol building public square in downtown Detroit known as Capitol Park:

hal_mhc_sa_cap20700_51362_7.jpg

Michigan's capital was then moved on whim to Lansing,MI after having been legislated that it had to be moved somewhere to the interior of the state to protect it from possible invasion of Canada (which was British controlled at the time). The second capitol stood in Lansing just a block from where the current one stands. The location now contains a historic state office building:

hal_mhc_sa_cap20695_51363_7.jpg

JQ01p006.jpg

The current structure is the only surviving building and stands just a blok northwest of where the second structure stood.

U/C

hal_mhc_sa_cap20544_51360_7.jpg

Completed

hal_mhc_sa_cap20905_51367_7.jpg

JQ01p001.jpg

Archived