CTC Redevelopment - Crescent, BPR & Whitepoint Proposals for Transit Center Redo + More

2 hours ago, RANYC said:

CATS bus ridership has fallen off a cliff (down 70+%) because of negative experiences and a crisis of confidence for current and past riders engaging with the bus system across its vast network of 65 routes and 2,957 bus stops…so of course we should pump a ton of money into a single transit node in uptown to fix the crisis, and put a high-rise on top.  There, problem fixed.

https://www.denverpost.com/2022/01/30/regional-transportation-district-crossroads-ridership-commuting/amp/

Incompetence or a sign of what’s really going on.  

1 hour ago, Durhamite said:

Yes, there are macro variables at play, but is a big, shiny, new central hub a reasonably appropriate response to these fundamental pattern shifts?  Frankly, I'd have more respect for John Lewis if he simply articulated a vision such as: "Charlotte is choosing to orient its transit system to Uptown because we want our center city to continue to be a central economic powerhouse for the entire region.  We don't want transit lines to play any part in dispersing the powerful center city economy that we've carefully crafted over a couple generations, in defiance of trends in many other car-centric, sprawl-laden, sunbelt cities."

But I get none of that from him. 

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

It's literally trying to manifest "out of sight, out of mind"

If you take all the problems, real and perceived, of the current CTC and think that putting them literally underground is somehow going to make things..... better? oh man.

On top of being a fare zone. Would that discourage people from exiting? I’m going to give the benefit of the doubt but the cynic in me feels like a motivation for a fare zone for local buses underground, well…. There’s no point in me saying it. Because I feel it’s obvious what my suspicions are. 

Though I’d be super interested to know if others can point to examples of regular local bus route hub that requires a ticket to enter into a holding area?

It might well be underutilized assuming the silver line gets built. I also think it’d be worth just investing in improving the multiple bus hubs, maybe move the primary central one out of uptown and put one at like CPCC or where there are more services or grocery stores or some strategic area that could increase the frequency in where bus riders need to go. Not sure uptown - for local bus riders - has many advantageous reasons for being located uptown vs. a facility at say CPCC or something.

I dunno, if I were still a local, I’d be opposed. Although the Cities skyline urban nerd loves the idea, the renderings, etc. It seems like a dud of valuable transit $$$.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
Bad connection to Blue Line and a complete miss of connection between the yet to be built/alignment decided silver line and yet to be built bus hub… I just don't think that’s smart. 
If buses start to use various silver line stations as major bus stops (like blue line) and the silver line becomes a major transit line and serve as a backbone of the transit system along with the blue line, it seems connections to bus routes at CTC would be terrible? 
In a perfect world, CTC would be a major multi level transfer point between the blue line, silver line & a major bus hub for city buses (which I thought CATS had wanted to move away from) & Epicenter would be renovated. Imagine a renovated epicenter connected to a Blue/Silver & renovated CTC Station. That would be so awesome. Also seems some infrastructure $’s could be consolidated if silver line & CTC bus hub shared facilities? 
But it’s odd to me they actually care a lot about silver line hitting Gateway Station.  I don’t think Gateway is that necessary to be served by the silver line. It’ll likely generate very small ridership for the silver line (Gold Line seems adequate for gateway).

Could have been shifted to the parking lot owned by Mecklenburg county along the blue line though I think some of the costs would be funded by the developer? Otherwise moving to the north would be a great way to connect the silver and blue line.

I wonder what the entrance to the underground bus terminal will look like? Now that my hopes of an underground Silver Line are being dashed, maybe I can take solace in a cool subway-like entrance stairway+elevator to the CTC? Only half joking. It would look so big-city lol

The Oculus:

45db2fad10c767f0fe56d4c6bdbed3aa.jpg

Does look cool.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I am not sure who this consultant thinks is going to spend the money they are talking about for naming rights for a new bus transfer station.  I think those numbers are way too high.

https://www.wfae.org/business/2023-02-09/will-companies-pay-millions-for-naming-rights-by-charlottes-bus-station

The practice facility is likely. Maybe even the whole district. But the mention of Salesforce Park to justify possible naming rights for our new bus station had milk exploding from my nose. Dark horse guess: Snyder-Lance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

Somebody help me here…

“The city’s consultant — Moran — cast the [NASCAR] Hall as a tacky intrusion on his vision for Charlotte’s "festival district."

“How do you generate and maximize revenue but in an authentic way?” Moran said. “I think we want to avoid a NASCAR Hall of Fame feel where you are seeing a lot of brands slapped around or a lot of LED signage.”

But wait, because also..

“Moran said the city could sell the naming rights to the entire area — a first for Charlotte. As an example, he pointed to names like “The Bank of America District” or “The District Presented by Bank of America.””

This can’t fail. 

Charlotte to harlot. 

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3