CTC Redevelopment - Crescent, BPR & Whitepoint Proposals for Transit Center Redo + More

2 hours ago, MothBeast said:

No carbon emitting vehicles will ever be in this facility. The best buses in the fleet are the ones that frequent center city and those buses will all be electric within 3-4 years let alone however long this will take. Full electric by 2030. They have no reason to accommodate a soon to be obsolete technology 

Probably will be even less than 3 years. New federal funds + Gas costs will speed that process up even faster.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

[quote]Description:

This project will construct a new multimodal transit center to replace the existing open air bus terminal in downtown Charlotte. The new transit center will include an underground bus concourse. [/quote]

Wow. Can’t wait to experience the splendor of an an underground bus concourse. Who doesn’t love breathing diesel smog?

As I posted in another thread:

In addition to electric vehicles, I doubt this new bus station will be similar to the interior of a concrete parking garage. Think something more like the below.

dus_busterminal_680x510_robertpolidori-1366x1024-c.jpg

2010-05-17_denver-union-station-bus-terminal_0.jpg

Edited by ajfunder
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ajfunder said:

As I posted in another thread:

In addition to electric vehicles, I doubt this new bus station will be similar to the interior of a concrete parking garage. Think something more like the below.

dus_busterminal_680x510_robertpolidori-1366x1024-c.jpg

2010-05-17_denver-union-station-bus-terminal_0.jpg

Wow, can we do all that for just $86 million in total project costs?  Tearing down the current CTC structure and then digging up the premises to effectively install a non-train subway terminus for buses?

Edited by RANYC

5 hours ago, RANYC said:

Wow, can we do all that for just $86 million in total project costs?  Tearing down the current CTC structure and then digging up the premises to effectively install a non-train subway terminus for buses?

THIS is the question - I'm not sure how they got to $85,718,000?  Denver bus terminal cost $219 million in 2016 with 22 bus bays and parking for an additional 6 buses.  Current CTC hub accommodates 25 bus bays (20 inside the station, 5 around the station on surface streets).  I'd assume they would need at least 20 bus bays for the new underground terminal just to maintain the current system.

5 hours ago, queensguy06 said:

As mentioned above (and in photos below), here in Denver the bus terminal is underground.  The concourse feels like an airport concourse with glass windows and doors separating the concourse from where the buses arrive/depart at each "gate."  And I assure you the majority of RTD's bus fleet is NOT hybrid/electric.  Not only that, as passengers do have to walk from the concourse to the bus, the entire system is ventilated so people aren't sucking in bus emissions - just like every tunnel ever built in the last 40 years.  The concourse is more for noise reduction and climate control. 

2010-05-16_bus3.jpg

union-station-bus-depot-1024x507.jpg

transit-center-gate-diagram.jpg

Yes, I got to experience that bus terminal when I was last in Denver.  Took the train there from the airport, then had an east transfer to a bus and don't recall smelling any bus emissions.  Denver is doing a fantastic job with public transportation.

• Like 2

Does uptown Charlotte need three transit-oriented developments? Depends on who you ask

One quote that grabbed my attention:

"The mixed-use plans for the current transportation center site next to the arena are likely to lead to new investment and upgrades nearby, experts said. That’s likely to include the nearby EpiCentre, the 300,000-square-foot entertainment complex on Trade Street that went into receivership this year after defaulting on an $85 million loan."

Re: CATS bus fuel
Back in April, a pilot program was announced where, through a Duke Energy partnership, CATS will be piloting 18 electric buses. I gather the order was placed this year - not sure what delivery times on that kind of equipment is, and I'm not sure where CATS is installing the charging infrastructure.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Re: CATS bus fuel
Back in April, a pilot program was announced where, through a Duke Energy partnership, CATS will be piloting 18 electric buses. I gather the order was placed this year - not sure what delivery times on that kind of equipment is, and I'm not sure where CATS is installing the charging infrastructure.

Are they going to be plug-in electric or catenary wires?

2 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Are they going to be plug-in electric or catenary wires?

I am not sure about the specifics of CATS' bus plans but I think the current electric bus trend is for charging to be done mostly at route endpoints. Often via a catenary used only when stationary.  There have been some teething pains with this tech however.

With all these millions of dollars will there ever be any sort of actual accommodations at various bus stops?

I’d honestly ride the bus a whole heck of a lot more if “bus stops” were anything more than literally a sign pole on a curb. It’s straight up pitiful. 

If you’re lucky there might be a bench, or if it’s super fancy, some sort of shelter from the elements.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

With all these millions of dollars will there ever be any sort of actual accommodations at various bus stops?

I’d honestly ride the bus a whole heck of a lot more if “bus stops” were anything more than literally a sign pole on a curb. It’s straight up pitiful. 

If you’re lucky there might be a bench, or if it’s super fancy, some sort of shelter from the elements.

Worse. Bus stops with no sidewalk not even at the freakin pole…

In Huntersville, a good amount of people used (by foot) Huntersville Gateway Station. And FYI… Statesville Road (21) is a mess 24/7. Pulling out of any business takes so long and feels risky. Imagine being a pedestrian trying to cross! It’s literally enough to deter anyone even if they need to use the bus. 

Another complaint would be there’s a sidewalk that quickly turns into grass and and you see a dirty path from where people walk regularly, that’s fine but trying to cross the road for the bus also is nearly impossible. They need stronger cross walk infrastructure/thought and sidewalks…

Any new nice bus station is going to be nice for probably Express Riders, those are Park & Rides & people who live in the few adequate nodes of the city where you can cross the street without feeling like (i) you’re in poverty (ii) you’re going to be killed a la Frogger (iii) running across the street.

Since lynx opened, the bus schedule wasn’t that terrible. It’s a blessing really for those who lived further out like I had off of Arrowood 7 years ago and I solely used the bus and I’d use it to go to work and to UNCC (3 semester bus to UNCC the last semester the extension opened) 

I also feel their is a culture of animosity towards bus riders (that aren’t express riders or the SouthPark bus) that makes me feel uncomfortable to ride it. I feel like drivers or people are judge mental, I feel like they purposefully speed or whatever or are just under the impression the bus riders are trash. Which is particularly annoying as I make a pretty high income and you have folks in Nissan Sentra’s acting like jerks, etc. I actually like CTC, etc. I prefer mass transit even though I could easily afford to rent a car while I visit Charlotte bus I try to not ride single-occupancy vehicles and I like mass transit. Im White-Latino (more than 50% assume I’m “just” white which is crazy to me because I think I look 100% Latino but I digress), I like to dress nice etc so like. The attitudes towards others must be much more nasty and I’ve had several people make nasty comments about CTC not realizing I’m a user of it…. So I know people think it when they think it’s safe to air their grievances. 

Anyway, that’s a rant as a former bus rider in Charlotte and a current bus rider when I visit mostly because the pedestrian infrastructure Peeves me off lol. GET SOME crosswalks…. Geez. Haha.  

(I was a bus rider when I lived off of Arrowood and Huntersville. FYI, Huntersville/Lake Norman had a nice little system up there with 3 circulatory routes, all 3 connecting at Huntersville Gateway. 2 Local buses went to uptown and then 3 or so Express busses also to uptown. Dunno if those services still exist) 

a revamped CTC will be cool. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

I saw some renderings for a large high-rise or group of high-rises to be built on and around the new CTC. How likely is this?

It’s most likely a question of “how long until full build out” rather than will it be built. 

My random speculative guess would be around 10 years

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

• 4 months later...

Bizjournal says construction on arena wouldn't start until 2024, and wouldn't begin on practice facility until 2027.

Based on what I've seen of Charlotte City Gov't and Meck County Gov't public/private projects, is that more like 2027 and 2030?

Unfortunately, the Ledger appears to go to the wrong sources because that article says "city staffers suggested construction could start this summer."  I got excited for a second but then I read the Bizjournal article and that timing seems more in line with the city's MO.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Read a quote from Tariq Bokhari saying the proposal is "a bag of excrement."  

On what grounds is he saying that?  Is Charlotte one of the only cities with an obligation to keep its NBA Arena modernized?

Just incredibly strident language and soundbytes, and what's he hoping to accomplish?  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1