CTC Redevelopment - Crescent, BPR & Whitepoint Proposals for Transit Center Redo + More

Ugh. Danny Pleasant is on the bird app suggesting that the Denver underground transit hub at Union station is a good model to emulate. I walked through there in February and I gotta say it is definitely NOT something Charlotte should be aiming for. It was serving as a defacto homeless shelter (it was very cold out) and shooting gallery (they closed the public restrooms because there was measurable fentanyl on many of the surfaces). It appeared that most folks wanting to actually catch a bus did so at a nearby outdoor stop. 

I REALLY hope designers of this are taking a broader view than trying to emulate places they have never visited.

FF8E11B5-D73F-49A5-AC1F-63167AD1F4EA.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Shoving everything into an underground station w/ a portal up to the surface.   Limited natural light.  Not a great recipe no matter how you dress it up (especially in this climate).

What makes you think above ground with natural light would do better than underground? Because right now it is above ground and it is demonstrated to have the traits some others fear the underground one will have. Design is very key here with lighting and layout to prevent certain unpleasant activities. How does underground negatively affect it versus above? Or is this just speculation based on other underground hubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m protransit, but the transit center should be intermodal at gateway center.  Makes our transit options disjointed…,imo.  Plus I think it would increase gold line usage if it were at gateway.  Not a fan of this project as it exists today.

What about the blue line? Gateway I’m pretty will have a smaller hub, but I wouldn’t say it only NEEDS to be there… the bus system is decentralizing as well so it’s not as big of necessity to only have one location. Doing so would technically go against the bus rerouting and overhaul.
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

that is my concern.  I would say no start without an anchor.  However the base could be built with the bus depot and hornets facility and wait until an anchor.  I dont see a large unanchored office building starting anytime soon in this city anywhere and large I mean bigger than 500K sq ft.  

To me this would be great location for Bank of America if they needed the space.  

Thanks!  You’ve got to love Charlotte!

I had to start a new account because I was unable to post on the Charlotte forum for some reason.

Edited by SydneycartonII
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Would be awesome if we could have a “Jordan” experience store/museum to anchor this as one of the main retail spots. Similar to those cool experiences we had when the NBA all star game was here, we’d have a permanent, interactive, museum/store. Limited edition releases of shoes and other items unique to only this store. I hated when the all star game left and all the cool exhibits and pop up stores went away.  People travelled from all over the globe to Charlotte for the all star weekend just for these limited releases of shoes and other apparel.  This would be a big draw. 

Some reports have talked about coupling this with an epicentre redo as well. Would love to hear or see some ideas of a future state of the epicentre as well someday. Also, looks like Moxy could potentially be in a very prime location down the road. 

8 hours ago, JeanClt said:

They also really seem to want to do that arch for CTC station with some signage too… would be interesting to have that and have it lit up too.

I believe that might be in the works. Nike regional offices for the college basketball and other collegiate sports divisions based in CLT would diversify our regional offices and corporate presence here. Atlanta thinks it suppose to host everything in this part of the Southeast but Charlotte has something to say otherwise. 

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

that is my concern.  I would say no start without an anchor.  However the base could be built with the bus depot and hornets facility and wait until an anchor.  I dont see a large unanchored office building starting anytime soon in this city anywhere and large I mean bigger than 500K sq ft.  

To me this would be great location for Bank of America if they needed the space.  

BOA should sit this development out and focus elsewhere. We need more diversification of our offices and corporate footprint. Everything cannot be BOA or financial in Uptown. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, JeanClt said:

Truist…? I mean currently they have ~2000 corporate jobs and have ~2300 more postings but I t was set to host ~13000 employees in Charlotte or so I’ve read. It is a long ways from that goal.

I'm sure covid put a wrench in those plans

• Like 3

If possible those 15 million plus the sale of land could go a long way to help pay for the improvements to the bus system and helping pay for those mobility centers and plazas as well as more benches and shelters across smaller stops.

• Like 4