Columbia's Topography

Hybrid0NE

On that map you can see some of the sand hill ridges that make up the Fall Line. But of course there are hill ridges that extend beyond the Fall Line into the coastal plain. What is interesting is I've never come across an 'official' decleration of where the Fall Line is. It's usually assumed to be the point where the river hits shoals or a waterfall. That from what I understand is the only real determination of where the line is. Otherwise, more than the physical elevation definition - it's simply where two very distinct geologic areas meet.

Curious how much about the Fall Line was taught in geography at USC? Unfortunately my college didn't cover much about regional physical geography.

No the fall line is a mapped feature, and it is much more than a conceptual thing :) There is a map of the fall line here: http://www.dnr.sc.gov/GIS/descfall500k.html And those of you with a GIS can download the shapefile if you are truely interested.

layerfall500k.gif

Don't misunderstand me. We didn't have multiple classes about the fall line, but it was discussed, and I recall it fairly well. Metro's description is very accurate. There certainly are hills below the fall line, but they are not large ones.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Correct - water navigation was the primary transportation method back in the day & as the hinterland was developed the need for state representation further inland was neccessary. So - the best compromise was locations like Columbia & Richmond.

It's interesting that so many East Coast capital cities were founded on fall lines (Washington, Trenton, Richmond, Raleigh, Columbia). Was this intentional, and if so, for what purpose?

While the navigability of the water was one factor, the rushing water for running mills, etc. was another factor.

Thanks, I knew that was the midland's tallest "mountain/hill" I just didn't know how tall it was. But I remember learning about it way back in elem. or middle school one.

Little Mountain truly does look like a mountain and its only around 25 miles from downtown Columbia. After I pick up my new car this weekend maybe I'll drive up there and take some pictures of it.

It's interesting that so many East Coast capital cities were founded on fall lines (Washington, Trenton, Richmond, Raleigh, Columbia). Was this intentional, and if so, for what purpose?

Cities like Augusta (a former capital city), Columbia, Richmond, etc were established for the same purpose. The fall line represents the end of the navigable waterways from the coast. In most cases there are rapids near these cities due to the change in elevation. So using Columbia as an example: Columbia, while established as the capital of SC, was established as a break-bulk (break-in-bulk) city. It is where goods coming down the rivers from the upcountry had to stop and portage around the rapids. Columbia eventually built a canal to aide in this process. Industrial warehouses were constructed nearest to the river because of that. Ultimately the railroads were built and the rivers became obsolete methods of transportation.

Augusta and these other cities share similar histories in that regard. It is coincidence that they are all capital cities though.

There is still an active waterway connecting Columbia to Charleston harbor. It runs from Columbia down the Congaree River where it joins up with the Catawba river flowing down from NC which has been renamed to the Wateree river. These joined rivers enter lake Marion. Marion is connected to Moultrie via a diversion cannel.

At the point if reaching the end of Lake Moultrie, one has to enter ones boat into the water lock which will drop boat 75 ft to the same level of the Santee Cooper river. A bit of a ride down this portion and you are in Charleston. It makes for a nice boat ride.

At the time it was built, the lock on Lake Moultrie was the highest in the country.

True. And before those lakes were built, the canals were constructed because the Ashely and Cooper are tidal rivers, and don't actually go very far inland (unlike most other port cities Jacksonville, Savannah, Norfolk, etc that are at the head of an extensive river system) and they allowed goods to be shipped down to Charleston without the need to go to Georgetown first.

While the navigability of the water was one factor, the rushing water for running mills, etc. was another factor.

Little Mountain truly does look like a mountain and its only around 25 miles from downtown Columbia. After I pick up my new car this weekend maybe I'll drive up there and take some pictures of it.

Please take a picture of Little Mtn and post if you can. I have been on that part of 1-26 hundreds of times and I have seen the signs for it, but never seen the mountain itself. It sounds like it may resemble Parson's mtn down in Abbeville county. I think it reaches to about 800-900 ft above sea level which puts it 250-350 feet above the surrounding area, more of a hill really, but you do get a good view from the top.

Another thing to note about the fall line (I love all this information being thrown around) is that south of the fall line pines are the dominate tree and hardwoods are more plentiful to the north. That may be stating the obvious to some, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Another thing to note about the fall line (I love all this information being thrown around) is that south of the fall line pines are the dominate tree and hardwoods are more plentiful to the north. That may be stating the obvious to some, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

That is very true; if the large map is correct, the fall line literally runs through my house, lol and my neighborhood is almost entirely hardwoods; there is hardly a pine tree to be found. Just a few miles east of here the trees are almost all pines.

columbia_fallline.jpg

I really dig the map A LOT! The couple times i have been to Columbia, i have noticed the elevation changes in and around downtown.

The same fall line also runs up towards my hometown in the NC Sandhills in the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. Further north, where i am currently at in Central Jersey, the fall line near me is the East Brunswick/Old Bridge border along Route 18 & Old Bridge Turnpike. If i ever get a chance, ill snap some photos of the Fall Line elevation drop from Central Jersey since it does have some relevance of how the fall line in Columbia and right here is all the same. Also, central jersey, about where the Raritan River is, was the southernmost extent of the ice age as well. Northern Middlesex County was covered in ice while the southern part of the county was not a part of the ice age.

It wont be until the fall time when ill snap those photos because i leave for Italy tonight (this is my last UP post in America!). Ill be back September 3rd or so so everyone enjoy the rest of their summer! If i do post between tomorrow and September, it will be like every now and then if i get near internet access just checking email and stuff. Sorry for the :offtopic: rambling. :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...
Please take a picture of Little Mtn and post if you can. I have been on that part of 1-26 hundreds of times and I have seen the signs for it, but never seen the mountain itself. It sounds like it may resemble Parson's mtn down in Abbeville county. I think it reaches to about 800-900 ft above sea level which puts it 250-350 feet above the surrounding area, more of a hill really, but you do get a good view from the top.

The same fall line also runs up towards my hometown in the NC Sandhills in the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. Further north, where i am currently at in Central Jersey, the fall line near me is the East Brunswick/Old Bridge border along Route 18 & Old Bridge Turnpike. If i ever get a chance, ill snap some photos of the Fall Line elevation drop from Central Jersey since it does have some relevance of how the fall line in Columbia and right here is all the same. Also, central jersey, about where the Raritan River is, was the southernmost extent of the ice age as well. Northern Middlesex County was covered in ice while the southern part of the county was not a part of the ice age.

• 1 month later...

Some pics I found online from the tower at the top of Little Mountain...

WEST: Who'd believe this landscape is only 25 miles from Downtown Columbia?

ATC%2088678-7-1-Panoramic%20view%20looking%20west_8_1_2002_22_46_33.JPG

Wait until the developers get a whiff. You think traffic on 26 sucks now... :rofl:

NORTH: Looking down on the town of Little Mountain.

ATC%2088678-4-1-Panoramic%20view%20looking%20north_8_1_2002_22_46_29.JPG

SOUTH: North shores of Lake Murray.

ATC%2088678-6-1-Panoramic%20view%20looking%20east_8_1_2002_22_46_32.JPG

Love these maps and discussions! Matt, I think my house may be just slightly on the other side of the fall line from yours. Do you suppose the hill on Avondale between your house and mine (on Summerlea) is the fall line?

That's pretty cool.

Also, your comment about water power for mills - I believe that's right on.

Love these maps and discussions! Matt, I think my house may be just slightly on the other side of the fall line from yours. Do you suppose the hill on Avondale between your house and mine (on Summerlea) is the fall line?

That's pretty cool.

Also, your comment about water power for mills - I believe that's right on.

Archived