Broadview at Vanderbilt/Vandy Graduate & Professional Student Village (10 and 7 stories, 615 beds, ground level retail, underground garage)

MLBrumby

5 hours ago, Acer said:

Long time lurker, first time poster. Noticed the mockup panel on site the other day, including the brick selection... 

1.jpg

Awesome!  Looks like they DID go with a different color and it’s a bit closer to the “Nashville Red Brick” that is really a great look.  Way to go Vandy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still not crazy about the desing, but the brick looks very nice. I really hope Vandy goes bigger and taller with their property at 21st/Broadway.  I can't help thinking that should be their campus for a technology (specifically media) school, but it would seem this area will cater to their graduate programs.  That point at 21st could make a great site for a hotel/hospitality component of their graduate programs (a'la Cornell).  But Vandy has no program for that field of study at this time; however, it could be a component of the Owen School right across the street. 

4 hours ago, bnacincy said:

I'm OK with the design just wish they had put that on the 21st Ave parking lot instead and left this area for some more restaurants-particularly now with the Demonbreun Street places having to relocate.

Yeah…that’s the only thing I don’t like about Vandy buying up some of the land they buy up.  That area would have been great for a massive mixed use project…but it will basically be “private” now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Darwin said:

It's quite savvy for Vanderbilt to construct this. As rents increase in Nashville, housing near the campus will become (has become) unaffordable for graduate students who have to survive on the funding they receive from their programs. If you want to draw the best graduate students, you need to be able to offer adequate funding for the area. Alternatively if you can provide housing at a reduced price, and at a walkable distance, there is less need to pay as high a stipend, as housing and transport costs are lower for the students. It is yet to be seen if they will charge market rents or not however. The temptation to yield maximum proft will be great. On another note, I'm so glad this area will finally be getting a grocery store beyond CVS and Virginia's market.

I believe this is structured as a partnership between the university and a private developer who is building and will manage the residential units, offering them to graduate and professional students at below market rates.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • markhollin changed the title to Broadview at Vanderbilt/Vandy Graduate & Professional Student Village (10 and 7 stories, 615 beds, ground level retail, underground garage)

8th & Roast Coffee will have a location at the development when it opens in fall of 2023.  No word on how many square feet, or which street it will address. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/local-cafe-chain-set-for-future-midtown-building/article_428b3476-4b2a-11ed-a843-37fffc5b0338.html

• Like 4