Kmart and Bi-Lo near hospital closing

PuppiesandKittens

The Kmart at 1 Kmart Plaza, near the main hospital, is closing, as per USA Today.  I am told that Bi-Lo is closing as well at some point. 

What will happen to the site?  It's been a shopping center for at least 50 years.

With this Kmart closing (clearly the store incurred next to nothing in ongoing capital expenses and likely had very low rent), what does that say about the Haywood Mall Sears closing at some point?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

The Kmart at 1 Kmart Plaza, near the main hospital, is closing, as per USA Today.  I am told that Bi-Lo is closing as well at some point. 

What will happen to the site?  It's been a shopping center for at least 50 years.

With this Kmart closing (clearly the store incurred next to nothing in ongoing capital expenses and likely had very low rent), what does that say about the Haywood Mall Sears closing at some point?

It probably should be redeveloped with housing since it has a great accessibility. 

After the announced closings, there will be zero Kmarts and two Sears in the state (Myrtle Beach and Greenville). It looks like Liberty Tax is buying all the Sears Hometown stores (they just bought a furniture chain as well)  

3 minutes ago, johnpro318 said:

It probably should be redeveloped with housing since it has a great accessibility. 

After the announced closings, there will be zero Kmarts and two Sears in the state (Myrtle Beach and Greenville). It looks like Liberty Tax is buying all the Sears Hometown stores (they just bought a furniture chain as well)  

Sears Outlet in Greenville also on Woodruff Road. A nice mixed use development on the site would be nice. A hotel as part of it would be perfect due to it being so close to the hospitals. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, btoy said:

Doesn't Hughes own that shopping center?  I am sure they have something planned for it.

Also the Sear's in Greenville and Spartanburg have both been for sale for a while.

Explain that last line please. Spartanburg store has been closed for a year. Greenville is still open. Are you taking about the buildings?

21 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Explain that last line please. Spartanburg store has been closed for a year. Greenville is still open. Are you taking about the buildings?

The Sears parent has lots of its real estate for sale, including stores that are open.  It sometimes sells the store and leases the space and sometimes closes the store.

Bi-Lo just changed the front to the green and white color scheme, remodeled interior and resurfaced their parking lot this year. You don't do that if you intend to close. Some of that could have been landlord paid improvements for renewing a lease .Don't buy for one minute they are closing. 

Also seen nothing official on the KMart Greenville location either other than speculation and supposed closing list posted on message boards by probably some ex or disgruntled employee but the  fragments of whats left of it (under 200 stores from several thousand at one time)will close probably sooner than later.

Edited by vistatiger

40 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Bi-Lo just changed the front to the green and white color scheme, remodeled interior and resurfaced their parking lot this year. You don't do that if you intend to close. Some of that could have been landlord paid improvements for renewing a lease .Don't buy for one minute they are closing. 

Also seen nothing official on the KMart Greenville location either other than speculation and supposed closing list posted on message boards by probably some ex or disgruntled employee but the  fragments of whats left of it (under 200 stores from several thousand at one time)will close probably sooner than later.

It's listed as closing in the USA Today list of closing Kmarts a few days ago.

Separately (to another post), yes, it's unlikely to close a store just after remodeling it, but Sears opened a new store in Illinois and a year or so ago as the "store of the future" and closed it a few months later.  Lord & Taylor spent tens of millions remodeling its flagship and then closed it.  So things happen when circumstances change.

2 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

It's listed as closing in the USA Today list of closing Kmarts a few days ago.

Separately (to another post), yes, it's unlikely to close a store just after remodeling it, but Sears opened a new store in Illinois and a year or so ago as the "store of the future" and closed it a few months later.  Lord & Taylor spent tens of millions remodeling its flagship and then closed it.  So things happen when circumstances change.

I saw that article on USAToday. It referred to a closing list someone posted on a message board on thelayoff.com. Nothing official from Kmart yet or in the local media.  

That Bi-Lo building on the end doesn't seem that old. Wasn't that a new addition on to the shopping center in the late 90's when Bi-Lo was under Ahold's ownership and the money for new store construction was flowing? 

Add: To answer my own question. I looked it up. That Bi-Lo store at 6 Kmart Plaza replaced an older store in 1998. 

Edited by vistatiger

1 hour ago, vistatiger said:

I saw that article on USAToday. It referred to a closing list someone posted on a message board on thelayoff.com. Nothing official from Kmart yet or in the local media.  

That Bi-Lo building on the end doesn't seem that old. Wasn't that a new addition on to the shopping center in the late 90's when Bi-Lo was under Ahold's ownership and the money for new store construction was flowing? 

Add: To answer my own question. I looked it up. That Bi-Lo store at 6 Kmart Plaza replaced an older store in 1998. 

Sears has been confirming the closings one by one, in individual announcements when asked.  It hasn't done a mass announcement. But the closings have been verified in part by Sears.

It's really sad- I certainly don't want to see any business go under, even if it's not one that I shop at.

On 9/3/2019 at 8:32 AM, Den2Gvl said:

According to Greenville County GIS, it's owned by "Church Street Inc."

Which is registered to Jayne McCall the Vice President of Hughes Development.

On 9/3/2019 at 8:41 AM, apaladin said:

Yes, Sears released a list, well before the Spartanburg store closed, of all the properties they were looking to sell off, much of them still open and operating at the time. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2019 at 6:31 AM, PuppiesandKittens said:

Kmart Pharmacy #4016 has closed.  

Kmart #4016 is in sell down mode.  It should close sometime in November.

On 9/4/2019 at 7:54 AM, vistatiger said:

On 9/4/2019 at 8:29 AM, apaladin said:

I was going to post this about the Bilo store. I know a couple of Bilo managers and when I told them this their response was "I don't think so, we just remodeled that store". So looks like Bilo will be there for a while. 

On 9/4/2019 at 10:54 AM, vistatiger said:

BI-LO #5016 is not a performing store.  It has lost business for several years as customers trade in Powdersville or White Horse Road.  Business decreased more after Harris Teeter #420 opened at Lewis Plaza on Augusta Street in 2018.  A remodel keeps a store looking nice, but does not guarantee it will stay open.  Several remodeled BI-LO stores have closed.

• 9 months later...