DXV Central | 17-Story Office/Residential [Proposed]

DreS0803

Nice building, but it's further gentrification of Parramore, and i'm not a fan of that. New construction in Parramore needs to include a certain percentage of affordable housing for the residents. Hell, I don't really see affordable ANYTHING in much of any of the new buildings that have gone up anywhere in downtown, short of CV.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xander said:

Nice building, but it's further gentrification of Parramore, and i'm not a fan of that. New construction in Parramore needs to include a certain percentage of affordable housing for the residents. Hell, I don't really see affordable ANYTHING in much of any of the new buildings that have gone up anywhere in downtown, short of CV.

That’s the legacy of Big Project Buddy and his friends from Carolina-Florida Properties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Anyone get a 70's style dept store vibe from the signage?

The signage is the only part of it that doesn't give me a 70's style dept store vibe.

8 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The building I like, the no man’s land that Parramore is because of the over-reliance on big projects, not so much.

Well, if we want height and an expanded skyline on the west side of I-4, that is the scale of project that Parramore will have to experience.

4 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

The signage is the only part of it that doesn't give me a 70's style dept store vibe.

Well, if we want height and an expanded skyline on the west side of I-4, that is the scale of project that Parramore will have to experience.

There was room for both just like we have high rises transitioning into Eola Heights. The problem in Parramore was no one even tried.

34 minutes ago, Xander said:

I'm not sure there even is such a thing as "affordable housing" anymore, given what construction costs have become. Even withbtax breaks and subsidies, they still have to charge rental rates that actual poor people can't afford.

Plus, I have to wonder what kind of place to live such places would become after a few years.

The name Cabrini Green comes to mind.

5 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'm not sure there even is such a thing as "affordable housing" anymore, given what construction costs have become. Even withbtax breaks and subsidies, they still have to charge rental rates that actual poor people can't afford.

Plus, I have to wonder what kind of place to live such places would become after a few years.

The name Cabrini Green comes to mind.

Exactly, if Paramore doesn't get investment then there is a bigger problem. This is the reality when you have "affordable housing" next to a big city. It gets pushed out overtime. 

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

There was room for both just like we have high rises transitioning into Eola Heights. The problem in Parramore was no one even tried.

Well, Parramore doesn't exactly look like midtown Manhattan yet.

The only "big projects" over there so far are Amway, OCS, City View and Creative Village. None of which are exactly gargantuan in scale.

And isn't there a small scale, affordable housing complex  called the Richard Allen Gardens on Carter Street

Richard-Allen-Gardens-Apartments-750x400

...and Parramore Oaks?

Rit3DOEm.jpeg

Not exactly what I'd call overly large in scale.

The answer comes via subsidies. Look at what OHA did with the former OAFB housing at Robinson and Bumby. 

The homes are kept relatively affordable by the size but the neighborhood is so attractive prices quickly escalated. OHA subsidizes some of the properties as affordable housing.

Meanwhile, by mixing the OHA properties in among the market-based housing, they’ve also managed to keep the quality of the neighborhood intact.

All in all, a win-win.

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

The answer comes via subsidies. Look at what OHA did with the former OAFB housing at Robinson and Bumby. 

The homes are kept relatively affordable by the size but the neighborhood is so attractive prices quickly escalated. OHA subsidizes some of the properties as affordable housing.

Meanwhile, by mixing the OHA properties in among the market-based housing, they’ve also managed to keep the quality of the neighborhood intact.

All in all, a win-win.

See my previous post.

8 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

I like it. 

Dino

On 9/3/2019 at 6:08 PM, spenser1058 said:

* ponders If JFW once had a big crush on Twiggy*

LOL.  I remember her cameo in The Blues Brothers

On 9/3/2019 at 6:18 PM, orlandouprise said:

would look great as the BASE of a building...

true.  but, I would take smaller projects like this if they could sprinkle them around downtown to fill up the empty gaps...quickly.

• Like 2

Anyone that can view Growthspotter should read this recent article re: opportunity zones. These incentives were part of Trump's tax package 2 years ago and are what is going to drive development in areas like Parramore, "potentially offering investors what Forbes calls one of the greatest tax-avoidance opportunities in American history."

In short, investors can park capital gains in these projects for 5 to 10 years- the longer they invest the higher percent tax deferred. At 10 years an investor can walk out with no cap gains tax on the parked money or their gain in the current project... period.

So when Spenser talks about incentives to build and JFW talks about high costs of building- these are the type of projects that can increase an investors net yield 70%.

Much of the Parramore area is marked as Opportunity Zone. These areas were recommended by Gov. Scott and approved by the Trump admin. There are several other sites in C.FL including Sodo and Packing.

Because of the short timeline for starting this process, we may see several other announcements in Parramore and the other OZs in the area by the end of the year.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/gs-news-opportunity-zones-central-florida-2019-update-20190904-uyq56mqpanee3dpioaf7pobccy-story.html

• Like 1

And The NY Times reports that, surprise!, the beneficiaries are turning out not to be the poor but the wealthy. 

Just another big project bonanza? It explains much in Parramore.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/31/business/tax-opportunity-zones.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Business

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/02/opinion/trump-tax-opportunity-zones.amp.html

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2