DXV Central | 17-Story Office/Residential [Proposed]

DreS0803

27 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

So, the NW corner.  Weird.  I would have thought it might be on the corners that aren't being used instead of one of the ones that is, but thanks!

I see now the mission is on the SE corner, but the rest of that corner was empty the last time I was near there.

Go. Northwestern, Hank!

The developer is "pledging to offer a mix of affordable and market-rate apartments in what would be the first high-rise mixed-use tower in the heart of Parramore."

and hopes to "provide opportunities that will benefit and offer portions of the retail spaces to small businesses within the Parramore community.”"

Proposed 189 apartments starting at $850.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-parramore-tower-20190905-gtlzv66bkfgbblxi72jbeghr3a-story.html

• Like 2

I am very hopeful this does get built IF the developer sticks to providing what he said in the GS article above. This is exactly the type of project this specific area needs. I don't find it particularly pretty nor ugly, but I think the uniqueness, especially compared to everything else in CV and along Hughey, is a positive.

And the rooftop would get great views of the soccer stadium...

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

That doesn't seem surprising given 189 apartments, 11,000 feet retail and 77,000 office. Is 417 spaces out of line?

It's in line with code but it just seems like a massive amount.  That's over $6mm dedicated just for parking.  In ten years, I'd guess that maybe 50% of those spaces are being used.  It's no different than any other development downtown but that number really jumped out on this one for some reason.  It's surprising that Developers aren't building parking that can be easily converted into usable space later on.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2019 at 11:48 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I hope this doesnt get approved.

Just to be clear, my desire to see this built and me voicing that view is not to disrespect your hope for it not to be built. I appreciate you and your post. We just see this one differently.

:)

17 hours ago, gibby said:

It's in line with code but it just seems like a massive amount.  That's over $6mm dedicated just for parking.  In ten years, I'd guess that maybe 50% of those spaces are being used.  It's no different than any other development downtown but that number really jumped out on this one for some reason.  It's surprising that Developers aren't building parking that can be easily converted into usable space later on.

I am not a parking garage expert, but I sat next to one at a bar one time and she told me they are money printers. I'm sure this building will find a way to monetize those spaces.

7 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

In addition, it is supposed to have low-income housing, right?  Multiple cars per unit is doubtful and with CV nearby along with Lynx Central, 1 car may be doubtful. I agree it seems excessive.

I think the code requires them to have x amount of parking for every bedroom. Granted the code could be revisited, but for now it is code. Most of the units are 1 bedroom, but based on the number of bedrooms they say they will have they will need roughly 220 spaces. Add a small amount for guest and short term and I'd think they would need about 240 for the apartments. That leaves approximately 180 spaces for 88,000 square feet of office and retail.

That just does not seem unusual to me.

7 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Especially if students end up living there.

Most of the students I know are 3rd and 4th year or later so they may not be good examples, but every student I know owns a car.

• Like 1

Former Orange County Commission Chairman Lou Treadway, who tried mightily to make transit a priority for Downtown Orlando waaaay back in the early ‘80’s, once observed: “You can have great transit or you can have plenty of parking but not both.”

Mayor Bill of course ignored Lou and went all in on parking garages.35 years later, transit downtown is meh. Our traffic jams become more epic with each passing year, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I try to live as car free of a lifestyle as possible. But unless you both work and love downtown, it's largely not a good option unless you literally can't afford it. Being that most of our big employers aren't downtown, that means the Venn diagram of people that would live carless is pretty small.

Get a Vespa.