Zimmer project - Peace & Capital Blvd

rolly

well I love to see this happen I have some doubts.  First the developer has only done low rise apartments and retail projects not any high rises I have seen.  Building a high rise is a very complicated process and not everyone can pull it off and you do need a track record somewhat.  Kane has that.  For example in 2006 a developer who only built low rise apartments in Indianapolis proposed and started preselling condos for a 50 story high rise in uptown Charlotte.  They had it majority presold but it was never built.  They could not get financing for it. Many people lost thousands of dollars.  Banks just don't trust millions to some developer unless they can prove they can pull it off.  

I have no dog in this fight but I would be willing to bet money if any 40 story tower comes to fruition in that area it will be Kane.  He has shown that he can do it primarily in North Hills.  Just trying to be realistic. 

https://www.zdc.com/

But yes it is a great building if he can pull it off. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

well I love to see this happen I have some doubts.  First the developer has only done low rise apartments and retail projects not any high rises I have seen.  Building a high rise is a very complicated process and not everyone can pull it off and you do need a track record somewhat.  Kane has that.  For example in 2006 a developer who only built low rise apartments in Indianapolis proposed and started preselling condos for a 50 story high rise in uptown Charlotte.  They had it majority presold but it was never built.  They could not get financing for it. Many people lost thousands of dollars.  Banks just don't trust millions to some developer unless they can prove they can pull it off.  

I have no dog in this fight but I would be willing to bet money if any 40 story tower comes to fruition in that area it will be Kane.  He has shown that he can do it primarily in North Hills.  Just trying to be realistic. 

https://www.zdc.com/

But yes it is a great building if he can pull it off. 

I also am skeptical of this project. Originally they were claiming it was going to be 40 story office for a "unicorn" company looking to relocate. Now it looks like they have already changed those plans to a mixed use, mostly residential setup. Though that may make it more feasible for getting it off the ground, I also don't trust their track record for something as ambitious as this. Especially with it being as hard as it is already to get a tower this size in DTR. I certainly hope it gets built but I have my doubts.

Fortunately, there are a couple more 30-40 story proposals on the table that I think have a much greater shot at being built sooner then later between the RUSBUS faculty rezoning, One Four One Fayetteville, and Kane's Smokey Hollow Phase 3 which has been approved for rezoning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rolly said:

@InitialD agreed.  The other 30-40 story towers pitched are 121 Fayetteville  and  Kane's Smokey Hollow Phase 3.

RUSBUS is requesting to be rezoned to 40 as was already stated. Doesn't mean necessarily it will be much more then 20 but still those are likely the next 3 biggest projects and chances for height.

50 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I do think the city council should approve this height for this area and let the free market decide if both or one of these 40 story towers is built.  (Kane having already receiving approval for their tower with affordable housing requirement) 

I'm still unsure how this affordable housing will work and if it will ultimately derail the project. Mere laws of economics and finance dictate that in order to compensate for the decreased revenue resulting from lower cost housing, other costs will need to be increased to make this work.

What businesses are ultimately going to be willing to knowingly subsidize lower income housing?

• Like 1

Definitely seems like something we shouldn't hold our breath on, unless more solid details are released.  Do renderings like this usually serve a purpose outside of property speculation and resale value?  Fingers crossed that this isn't "vaporware" like in the tech world, so does anyone have more information whether this is feasible by the developers who own this spot?  Beyond what's already been said?  Until more is known, I'd suggest keeping snarky complaining to where it isn't infectious.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I think this Zimmer project is a big IF  IF they get an anchor tenant for the office,  IF they could get the financing for apartments in a high rise, IF hotel market recovers where they could do a mixed use tower.

I do think a mixed use tower is the most likely to get any height some parking podium, then office space,  hotel or apartments.  however these projects are highly complicated and Kane is right across Capital Blvd has expertise in this and I dont see where Zimmer has (and that is important for financing)   I have no horse in this race but just think 1 tower in this height range would be built and my bet would be Kane's. 

rendering from the N & O

Capital and Peace developmentRAL.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I think this Zimmer project is a big IF  IF they get an anchor tenant for the office,  IF they could get the financing for apartments in a high rise, IF hotel market recovers where they could do a mixed use tower.

I do think a mixed use tower is the most likely to get any height some parking podium, then office space,  hotel or apartments.  however these projects are highly complicated and Kane is right across Capital Blvd has expertise in this and I dont see where Zimmer has (and that is important for financing)   I have no horse in this race but just think 1 tower in this height range would be built and my bet would be Kane's. 

rendering from the N & O

Capital and Peace developmentRAL.jpg

This was the  same rendering I saw posted about a year ago on FB.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

N&O probably saw it from you then.  I hope this is built or another tower in this height range by someone in Raleigh.  

The fact that they are moving forward with the zoning request, coupled with how hot the Peace St/Capital Blvd/Seaboard Station corridor is right now, i'd say that this or something exciting will end up being built on that site. There are a lot of developers interested in that area.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...