100 N. Main Redevelopment – hotel, 180-210 apartments, 38,000 SF of retail, restaurant space and rooftop amenities, 2 parking garages

VSRJ

3 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Glad to see it has hotel component. That’s needed especially if Lowes doesn’t break ground. It’s a nice project the apts, retail, restaurant, parking , is good for that section of N. Main. Now if Lowes can get done, that would be an excellent number of hotels near convention center. Let’s hope Grand Hyatt gets done too. Sterick building your up next! 

Yeah, I liked the Carlisle design a lot better too, but as long as it gets done, I’ll be happy. Lowe’s I think is the least likely to happen. Grand Hyatt is a go and will be starting construction this year. 100 N Main seems like it will likely happen. I think the Sterick will happen too, but we’ve got to wait for the lease to run out on April 30, 2025. Honestly, I think something could happen earlier. I read an article that AXA equitable would be willing to give up the lease. They aren’t going to be able to get anything for it, so they’d be able to get rid of the liability/maintenance. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Yeah, I liked the Carlisle design a lot better too, but as long as it gets done, I’ll be happy. Lowe’s I think is the least likely to happen. Grand Hyatt is a go and will be starting construction this year. 100 N Main seems like it will likely happen. I think the Sterick will happen too, but we’ve got to wait for the lease to run out on April 30, 2025. Honestly, I think something could happen earlier. I read an article that AXA equitable would be willing to give up the lease. They aren’t going to be able to get anything for it, so they’d be able to get rid of the liability/maintenance. 

Here’s the video of the 100 N main lead developers. Great job! Landing this project.

https://www.actionnews5.com/2022/01/20/development-group-selected-revitalize-memphis-tallest-building/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

Here’s the video of the 100 N main lead developers. Great job! Landing this project.

https://www.actionnews5.com/2022/01/20/development-group-selected-revitalize-memphis-tallest-building/

We should see 100 N Main lit up soon. Billy Orgel is putting his stamp on Memphis and is determined to lift this city.  He's Henry Turley 2.0.  I read in the Commercial Appeal they suggested this development group partner with the group from Kansas City. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JTM1 said:

We should see 100 N Main lit up soon. Billy Orgel is putting his stamp on Memphis and is determined to lift this city.  He's Henry Turley 2.0.  I read in the Commercial Appeal they suggested this development group partner with the group from Kansas City. 

Yeah I really think this has the parts to work out with office/hotel/apartments.  Having the office space for the city helps a lot IMO.  I really liked the Carlisle look as everyone said but this is a stellar project.   Now... for the office part,  it'd be nice if some of the workers are from the MLGW hq farther South--  let's free that up for redevelopment next.  :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DRG901 said:

Yeah I really think this has the parts to work out with office/hotel/apartments.  Having the office space for the city helps a lot IMO.  I really liked the Carlisle look as everyone said but this is a stellar project.   Now... for the office part,  it'd be nice if some of the workers are from the MLGW hq farther South--  let's free that up for redevelopment next.  :)

I think they are workers from the Memphis City Hall building.  I wonder if MLGW could relocate to the Thomas Building (300 Court) if their current site is to be redeveloped.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

I think they are workers from the Memphis City Hall building.  I wonder if MLGW could relocate to the Thomas Building (300 Court) if their current site is to be redeveloped.  

There has been talk of movingMlgw from there current site on S. Main. It would make a great location for condos/ apts/ retail and enhance the foot traffic in that area near Beale.  As far as Thomas building there was a plan to develop it into apts, not sure if that’s still on table or not. That footprint on S main would be awesome to redevelop right near all the action! 

1 hour ago, Memphisborn said:

There has been talk of movingMlgw from there current site on S. Main. It would make a great location for condos/ apts/ retail and enhance the foot traffic in that area near Beale.  As far as Thomas building there was a plan to develop it into apts, not sure if that’s still on table or not. That footprint on S main would be awesome to redevelop right near all the action! 

Yeah, I remember the plan for the Thomas building.  Whoever bought it that is from California or something had plans to turn it into apartments.  That was years ago and I don't think a single thing has been done.  I don't think its a great building for apartments and it seems like it could be a perfect building for MLGW, while the current MLGW site would be great for more apartments/retail. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

Yeah, I remember the plan for the Thomas building.  Whoever bought it that is from California or something had plans to turn it into apartments.  That was years ago and I don't think a single thing has been done.  I don't think its a great building for apartments and it seems like it could be a perfect building for MLGW, while the current MLGW site would be great for more apartments/retail. 

Agreed! Let’s see what happens it’s definitely on the DMC radar to move mlgw, Speaking as a native Memphian I’m just proud that 100 N main has a bright future, u can’t build a 37 story tower like that one in today’s market. That roof top restaurant should be amazing!! It’s an exciting time to be a Memphian. 

39 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

Agreed! Let’s see what happens it’s definitely on the DMC radar to move mlgw, Speaking as a native Memphian I’m just proud that 100 N main has a bright future, u can’t build a 37 story tower like that one in today’s market. That roof top restaurant should be amazing!! It’s an exciting time to be a Memphian. 

I remember going to the rotating rooftop restaurant as a kid (late 80's sometime probably?)-  cool views for sure, I just remember as a kid thinking how long it took to get around lol.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DRG901 said:

I remember going to the rotating rooftop restaurant as a kid (late 80's sometime probably?)-  cool views for sure, I just remember as a kid thinking how long it took to get around lol.  

They are using Winston hotel group, hope it’s a Marriott hotel.

Here’s is the entire proposal 

https://downtownmemphis.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/2.-Woods_100NMainDevPartners_Proposal_Final.pdf

Edited by Memphisborn

On 1/19/2022 at 6:43 PM, Memphisborn said:

Glad to see it has hotel component. That’s needed especially if Lowes doesn’t break ground. It’s a nice project the apts, retail, restaurant, parking , is good for that section of N. Main. Now if Lowes can get done, that would be an excellent number of hotels near convention center. Let’s hope Grand Hyatt gets done too. Sterick building your up next! 

Well the foundation permit is already filed for the grand hyatt so that is definitely a go.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

They are using Winston hotel group, hope it’s a Marriott hotel.

Here’s is the entire proposal 

https://downtownmemphis.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/2.-Woods_100NMainDevPartners_Proposal_Final.pdf

I remember seeing that the operators of the Sheraton downtown talked about rebranding to a Marriott, so maybe might prevent 100 N Main from being a Marriott, but could go with one of the other brands such as Le Meridian or Renaissance.  

16 hours ago, DRG901 said:

I think it takes 90 minutes for one revolution.  

https://abandonedsoutheast.com/2016/09/23/100-north-main/

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

Care to give a summary of the article since its subscriber only?

After years of sitting abandoned, pieces of the façade intermittently raining down onto the sidewalk, a new life is on the horizon for Memphis’ tallest building.

The Downtown Memphis Commission’s Downtown Mobility Authority on Wednesday agreed to enter into exclusive negotiations with a local development team that has presented a $267 million vision to radically transform 100 N. Main.

Development group 100 N. Main Development Partners, which includes Kevin Woods, Billy Orgel, Jay Lindy, Adam Slovis and Michael McLaughlin, hopes to make the property a neighborhood anchor with a hotel, apartments, restaurants, retail and office space, as well as additional parking.   

e developers, public officials and Downtown business owners, hope the project will go beyond simply breathing life back into the derelict property, but can also energize that part of Downtown. Activating the space, they say, could mean new development, redevelopment, and new business offerings in the surrounding blocks, even before a redeveloped 100 N. Main opens. 

Only a few blocks away is the recently remodeled, $200 million Memphis Renasant Convention Center, from which conference attendees will walk to Downtowns bars, restaurants and hotels, often passing 100 N. Main, said Brett Roler, DMC vice president of planning and development. 

“Blight weakens the tax base and discourages new investment. Downtown is our brand to the world. We know that this building damages that image as an attractive place to live, work, visit and invest,” he said during the DMA meeting. “This is a prime opportunity here to transform a community liability and reposition it back as a neighborhood anchor.”

Memphis is open for business'

DMC President Paul Young said acquiring the 100 N. Main property, an entire city block that includes not only the tower but also a parking garage, surface parking lot, small dog park and several other structures along Main Street, was one of the most ambitious things the organization had ever taken on. 

Work won’t start right away. The exclusive negotiations give the development team the time to do further due diligence and studies on the property with the knowledge the DMC isn’t negotiating with any other developers. 

54 minutes ago, TheKernel91 said:

Small side note, since they are going with the classic exterior, did anyone else kind of wanted to see a redesign, like glass or panels?

I absolutely loved the Carlisle design. However when u really look @ the cost of the project glass may have been thrown out. The building qualifies for roughly 34 million in historic tax credits but u have to keep the exterior as close to original as possible. So yes the glass look was awesome but would not pencil in the end.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

After years of sitting abandoned, pieces of the façade intermittently raining down onto the sidewalk, a new life is on the horizon for Memphis’ tallest building.

The Downtown Memphis Commission’s Downtown Mobility Authority on Wednesday agreed to enter into exclusive negotiations with a local development team that has presented a $267 million vision to radically transform 100 N. Main.

Development group 100 N. Main Development Partners, which includes Kevin Woods, Billy Orgel, Jay Lindy, Adam Slovis and Michael McLaughlin, hopes to make the property a neighborhood anchor with a hotel, apartments, restaurants, retail and office space, as well as additional parking.   

e developers, public officials and Downtown business owners, hope the project will go beyond simply breathing life back into the derelict property, but can also energize that part of Downtown. Activating the space, they say, could mean new development, redevelopment, and new business offerings in the surrounding blocks, even before a redeveloped 100 N. Main opens. 

Only a few blocks away is the recently remodeled, $200 million Memphis Renasant Convention Center, from which conference attendees will walk to Downtowns bars, restaurants and hotels, often passing 100 N. Main, said Brett Roler, DMC vice president of planning and development. 

“Blight weakens the tax base and discourages new investment. Downtown is our brand to the world. We know that this building damages that image as an attractive place to live, work, visit and invest,” he said during the DMA meeting. “This is a prime opportunity here to transform a community liability and reposition it back as a neighborhood anchor.”

Memphis is open for business'

DMC President Paul Young said acquiring the 100 N. Main property, an entire city block that includes not only the tower but also a parking garage, surface parking lot, small dog park and several other structures along Main Street, was one of the most ambitious things the organization had ever taken on. 

Work won’t start right away. The exclusive negotiations give the development team the time to do further due diligence and studies on the property with the knowledge the DMC isn’t negotiating with any other developers. 

I absolutely loved the Carlisle design. However when u really look @ the cost of the project glass may have been thrown out. The building qualifies for roughly 34 million in historic tax credits but u have to keep the exterior as close to original as possible. So yes the glass look was awesome but would not pencil in the end.

Yeah, the added expense of redoing the exterior and losing the tax credits would probably make the project infeasible. I don’t know if it’d be possible, or still qualify for historic tax credits, but it would be nice if they could cut the windows out a little bit bigger to match their size on the 34th floor. 

One odd thing I noticed is on the hotel floor designs, each floor had two rooms with no windows. Thought that was strange and don’t know if I’ve ever seen a hotel room with no windows. 

I'm glad to hear this:

"100 N. Main Development Partners initially called for the demolition of the four smaller buildings, but they have recently proposed an alternate plan that calls for keeping those buildings intact. 

“We’d like nothing better than to keep preserving,” said Orgel, who has dedicated much of his career to doing just that. “You know, once you tear those buildings down, you’ve got to wait another 100 years for them to be a historic building with that flavor and character.” "

https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/26636/100-n-main

If they want, they can put in a new building on the left side of those 4 buildings where there's surface parking, and they could also build another where there's the dog park on the right side.  I don't know how often the dog park is utilized. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VSRJ said:

That's great to hear — Memphis excels in adaptive reuse.

Yes we have done a great job of adaptive reuse projects, crosstown concourse, chisca, Peabody place, Gibson guitar etc. let’s hope this momentum keeps up and a preservation developer comes up with a master plan for Sterick (Queen of the south) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Yes we have done a great job of adaptive reuse projects, crosstown concourse, chisca, Peabody place, Gibson guitar etc. let’s hope this momentum keeps up and a preservation developer comes up with a master plan for Sterick (Queen of the south) 

I found this short video interesting. It's talking about the Edge and adaptive resuse.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, JTM1 said:

I found this short video interesting. It's talking about the Edge and adaptive resuse.

Love the video. It’s my vision that the edge can become another entertainment district, that gives citizens and tourists another option to eat, drink and play. If we are going to pursue major events ie NBA all star weekend we need to be able to accommodate the demand for entertainment from visitors and also give residents those staycation options. I think edge could be that option. Would love to see a fourth st live type of development take place there.

https://www.4thstlive.com/

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 5:35 PM, Memphisborn said:

Love the video. It’s my vision that the edge can become another entertainment district, that gives citizens and tourists another option to eat, drink and play. If we are going to pursue major events ie NBA all star weekend we need to be able to accommodate the demand for entertainment from visitors and also give residents those staycation options. I think edge could be that option. Would love to see a fourth st live type of development take place there.

https://www.4thstlive.com/

The vision for the area that surrounds the MGLW building calls for something similar to 4th Street. The same with the Pinch near the Pyramid. 

https://downtownmemphis.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Memphis_Report_revised-December-reduced.pdf

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JTM1 said:

The vision for the area that surrounds the MGLW building calls for something similar to 4th Street. The same with the Pinch near the Pyramid. 

https://downtownmemphis.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Memphis_Report_revised-December-reduced.pdf

Ok I can see those areas, we definitely need another major entertainment district in the downtown/ pinch area. Would love to have options outside of Beale st/ Overton square  something like the Cordish live! Developments would do well here. We are trending towards having more big events, hotels are done or being developed we need to add to our entertainment options. 

https://www.cordish.com/

Edited by Memphisborn