100 N. Main Redevelopment – hotel, 180-210 apartments, 38,000 SF of retail, restaurant space and rooftop amenities, 2 parking garages

VSRJ

I've enjoyed my trips to Memphis over the past two decades. I find it to be an interesting city with a lot of potential. I don't think a Cordish development is what Memphis needs, but something more organic. Cordish just always seems so contrived/artificial to me.  I think Memphis can replicate what Nashville has done but with Blues/Soul music. Maybe the city can host the state's first House of Blues, which I think would be far more appropriate in Memphis than Nashville. But it's going to require a concerted effort on the part of that city's leaders.  I don't know a lot about Memphis; so I don't know if those pieces are there already.  Last time I was there (3 years ago) I noticed there were several key "dead zones" between the "active nodes" where our hosts took us. Memphis has some great neighborhoods and what appears to be legacy infrastructure. I see a lot of potential for Memphis, but it's going to take time and leadership. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I've enjoyed my trips to Memphis over the past two decades. I find it to be an interesting city with a lot of potential. I don't think a Cordish development is what Memphis needs, but something more organic. Cordish just always seems so contrived/artificial to me.  I think Memphis can replicate what Nashville has done but with Blues/Soul music. Maybe the city can host the state's first House of Blues, which I think would be far more appropriate in Memphis than Nashville. But it's going to require a concerted effort on the part of that city's leaders.  I don't know a lot about Memphis; so I don't know if those pieces are there already.  Last time I was there (3 years ago) I noticed there were several key "dead zones" between the "active nodes" where our hosts took us. Memphis has some great neighborhoods and what appears to be legacy infrastructure. I see a lot of potential for Memphis, but it's going to take time and leadership. 

Interesting, I have long been an advocate for a house of blues on or near Beale st.  I understand the organic growth and as a native Memphian I do see how we have grown over the last 20 years. We need more it doesn’t have to be cordish but we do need a live! Type development much like what DSG is doing in the edge with the ravine. Memphis has soul we need to build on that and continue with our music heritage. 

2 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Interesting, I have long been an advocate for a house of blues on or near Beale st.  I understand the organic growth and as a native Memphian I do see how we have grown over the last 20 years. We need more it doesn’t have to be cordish but we do need a live! Type development much like what DSG is doing in the edge with the ravine. Memphis has soul we need to build on that and continue with our music heritage. 

I have always envisioned a House of Blues as part of a redevelopment of the New Daisy Theater as it's performance venue. 

The Sunday Live Gospel Brunch thing is perfect for the river cruising crowd.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wayward Memphian said:

I have always envisioned a House of Blues as part of a redevelopment of the New Daisy Theater as it's performance venue. 

The Sunday Live Gospel Brunch thing is perfect for the river cruising crowd.

I agree, new daisy is perfect for HOB. I have emailed live Nation a few times asking them to consider a HOB on Beale st, @ New daisy let’s hope they want to come here it just makes so much sense.

3 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

I agree, new daisy is perfect for HOB. I have emailed live Nation a few times asking them to consider a HOB on Beale st, @ New daisy let’s hope they want to come here it just makes so much sense.

I believe Live Nation was the most recent promoter of the concerts at New Daisy when it was last open.  But yeah, it'd be perfect for HOB.  We have the connection with the HOB with the co-founder being from Jackson, TN.  If the entertainment district police station, right next to the New Daisy could be moved, HOB could use that building for the bar/restaurant, and even add on for more room.  

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 5:35 PM, Memphisborn said:

Love the video. It’s my vision that the edge can become another entertainment district, that gives citizens and tourists another option to eat, drink and play. If we are going to pursue major events ie NBA all star weekend we need to be able to accommodate the demand for entertainment from visitors and also give residents those staycation options. I think edge could be that option. Would love to see a fourth st live type of development take place there.

https://www.4thstlive.com/

Been hanging out in the edge district the last two days, stopped in @ chef tam’s on union great vibe & food, also stopped in @ Arnold’s BBQ souther comfort burger and atmosphere was great. Been really checking out all the building for lease/ sale  that area has a vibe and is primed to take off real soon, I understand the organic growth pattern I hope they can build on the music history in the edge and bring back some Memphis legends.

1) Blues alley/ classing room

2) Memphis sounds

3) Dizzy Bird.3E454A4E-BB1E-4DC7-95D2-8A03973F831B.thumb.png.8e4ed35b9f037299869d1e500ec6ab32.png917C9931-6B95-4C80-BBED-9014126D1340.thumb.png.da94e23041fec7067b1e212e8798a026.png

0C3AB550-C61C-4C21-8B7B-37D9F09D1837.png

86D0FCF0-B3F5-45A3-B683-29DF82DBCD52.png

Edited by Memphisborn
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Ok im kind of mad. Not really lol while looking for renderings for another project, I came across a more detailed proposal that was in the mix to be chosen for 100 N Main. This one shows more of what could have been. The original proposal didn't show any of the stores or potiental use. Butbman, we need something like this downtown instead of apartments on top of apartments. 1629466636-144_cam01_sunny_final_smallXX.thumb.jpg.31ec7ac287aae932fd6e18beef8edc39.jpg

1629466646-144_cam03_dusk_final_smallXX.thumb.jpg.6af43645ca8581797e650bf6cb4acadd.jpg

Edited by TheKernel91
Words got jumbled
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

In the DM’s Building Memphis seminar, Adam Slovis said that 100 N, Main construction will begin in 2023 (didn’t say which quarter) and will be on 24-month timeline. 

Good news hope that it doesn’t get delayed. This could be huge for that end of N Main. Hotel, office’s, apartments plus retail. Nice project 

• 2 weeks later...

New Updates on the timeline:

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/32334/downtown-memphis-100-n-main-developer-renovation-timeline

The 100 N. Main development timeline

• Interior demolition: fourth quarter 2022
  • Application(s) for additional incentives: first quarter 2023
  • PILOT closing date: fourth quarter 2023
  • Phase 1 construction begins: first quarter 2024
  • Phase 1 Tower completion: 2026
  • Phase 2 construction begins: 2026

Phase I is existing tower/parking garage and is estimated at $261,288,654. Phase II is the rest of the property. 

100 N. Main floor breakdown 

• Restaurant top floor (pool/amenities on level 36 former Tennessee Club site) 
  • Condos level 32 to 35
  • Apartments level 23 to 31
  • Hotel levels 13 to 22
  • Offices levels 9 to 12
  • Apartment pool and observation deck on level 8 atop of the parking garage
  • Parking garage below on levels 4 through 8 
  • Corporate apartments and meeting rooms on levels 2 to 
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, VSRJ said:

I hate to be such a pessimist, but these timelines mean almost nothing. So much can change between now and then. But I suppose it's good that there is movement.

I guess we are to that point where we've been burned too many times, we don't want to get our hopes up about something until the grand opening is scheduled.  They did say they've spent over $1 million in prep/planning work.  

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 1:27 PM, MDC26 said:

I guess we are to that point where we've been burned too many times, we don't want to get our hopes up about something until the grand opening is scheduled.  They did say they've spent over $1 million in prep/planning work.  

Yea it’s hard to get hopeful when u realize the rug can be pulled out under u @ any time 

• 6 months later...
13 hours ago, JTM1 said:

Glad to see this moving forward. It has been a long time coming. This project will do wonders for that area of Main st. Now let’s get the Lowes Hotel back on the drawing board. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Glad to see this moving forward. It has been a long time coming. This project will do wonders for that area of Main st. Now let’s get the Lowes Hotel back on the drawing board. 

There will be a full-service hotel, with two restaurants. One at street level and the rooftop of the building. I would like to know if a local restaurant group will be given rights to open the rooftop restaurant or will they look for another named restaurant that is not presently in Memphis?  I would like to see the Lowes hotel revived too, but I wish that it were in a different location. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Things are still moving forward, albeit slowly:

100 N. Main developers seek loan from EDGE; see development agreement progress

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/08/14/100-n-main-developers-seek-loan-from-edge.html

A development group looks to take another step toward the reimagining of 100 N. Main — the tallest tower in Memphis. 

100 N. Main Development Partners seeks a $5 million loan from the Economic Development Growth Engine (EDGE) for Memphis & Shelby County.

The loan — with a term of 20 years at a 4% fixed interest rate — would be used to fund the demolition of portions of the interior of the tower.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Another (little) step forward:

100 N. Main developers seek special use permit for 160-key hotel Downtown

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/10/05/100-n-main-developers-downtown-hotel-special-use.html

100 N. Main Development Partners has filed for a special use permit for a 160-key hotel, another sign that a larger development agreement could be coming sooner rather than later. 

The special use permit doesn’t mean construction is set to get started, but it does show a big sign of activity and readiness to go forward as the end of the year looms. 

The proposed hotel would take up the 15th through 22nd floors, with a lobby on the first floor and a restaurant and meeting space on the second. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

More movement. Will be interesting to see what comes from the meeting on Wednesday.

100 N. Main developers file permit to begin key part of $261M renovation project

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/11/09/100-n-main-permit-demolition-renovation-project.html

100 N. Main Development Partners has filed a commercial alteration permit to begin $6.5 million in demolition work, with an update on the project expected from the property owners scheduled for next week.

The development group, headed by Kevin Woods, is continuing to work toward a larger development agreement. Demolition work was supposed to start earlier this year, but a swelling price tag — mostly due to a downturn in economic conditions, increased labor costs, and rising interest rates — has caused a significant slowdown.

Work is finally set to get underway on the development. Even if a larger development agreement fails, the building is still owned by the Downtown Mobility Authority (DMA), and the site would be closer to shovel-ready. The DMA is scheduled to hear an update on 100 N. Main at its meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 15, according to its agenda.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

^ Took down that video as it was taking up the majority of the screen. Below is the story from MBJ:

City of Memphis signs 15-year office lease at 100 N. Main Building

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/11/30/100-n-main-breaks-ground-city-of-memphis-lease.html

100.jpg.7c310744ce9810112bd22c7d70f9d0a2.jpg

The $261 million makeover of the tallest tower in Memphis is officially underway.

In a Thursday, Nov. 30, event held at the Downtown skyscraper, ground was ceremonially broken on the project to reinvent and reimagine the 100 N. Main Building.

In attendance were 100 N. Main Development Partners' leadership, City of Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland; Downtown Memphis Commission (DMC) CEO and Memphis Mayor-elect Paul Young, and half a dozen other representatives of entities that have become a part of the project over the years.

100 N. Main Development Partners head Kevin Woods praised those who have helped get the renovation in motion, from politicians and incentive board members to contractors.

"Now with investments being made with 100 N. Main, we know what's possible in Memphis," Woods said. "We thank you all … who are continuing to make this a better place to live."

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Small update:

100 N. Main developers apply for 30-year PILOT for $282M redevelopment

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2024/02/07/100-n-main-developers-pilot-apply-incentives.html

The development group behind 100 N. Main is seeking a 30-year PILOT (payment-in-lieu-of-taxes) and a 5% Tourism Development Zone (TDZ) surcharge for the now $282 million revitalization of the tallest tower in Memphis.

New filings with the Center City Revenue Finance Corp. (CCRFC), an affiliate board of the Downtown Memphis Commission (DMC), give the latest and most detailed look into one of the most significant development projects in Memphis.

The makeup of the development group, the plan, and the costs associated with 100 N. Main have all changed since the developers were selected in January 2022, but, now with an application filed for incentives, a larger development agreement could be close. The staff report details that the developers hope to close on the property in mere months — sometime around mid-2024 — with work getting underway not long after.

The full renovation of 100 N. Main is anticipated to take 30 months, meaning the 793,000 square feet of buildable area would deliver in early 2027.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Whatever happened to Morgan Keegan being renovated into apartments?

That's a good question as there hasn't been much movement on that planned conversion of the former Morgan Keegan/Raymond James Tower from office to residential.

• 1 month later...