100 N. Main Redevelopment – hotel, 180-210 apartments, 38,000 SF of retail, restaurant space and rooftop amenities, 2 parking garages

VSRJ

8 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Yes, it does look very good and would be very happy if it comes to be.  However, I still prefer to preserve the historic row buildings on Main.   Carlisle doesn't seem to be highly concerned with historic preservation, as they tore down the Nylon Net building, and until recently, thought 100 N Main should be torn down.  Orgel seems to be more of a historic preservationist.  

I wouldn't go as far as say they don't seem to care when you consider the amount of adaptive reuse they've done with the old William C Ellis buildings as part of One Beale.

In terms of the Nylon Net building, the Carlisles originally wanted to preserve as much of the original structure as possible, but when it became apparent that would not be feasible to at least stabilize the areas they wanted to keep (specifically the lower level and smokestack), they opted to just do a complete rebuild while integrating elements of the old building into the new design.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread as another proposal for 100 North Main has been made public, per the Memphis Business Journal:

How developers Memphis Tower Group propose to revitalize Downtown's 100 North Main

By Corey Davis, Memphis Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/10/20/memphis-tower-group-proposal-100-north-main.html

Rendering (Image courtesy of KLR Architects):

100-north-main-memphis-tower-group.thumb.jpg.3f7fb18419ce1fc862d2d128a72f0e80.jpg

This is the same group behind a couple of projects in the Pinch District, including the proposed Blues Note hotel/condo development across from The Pyramid.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Small update — looks like we won't have a final selection until January.

DMC announces finalists for 100 North Main redevelopment

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/11/03/100-north-main-finalists-announced.html

The six finalists for the redevelopment of the 100 North Main building were announced Wednesday, Nov. 3, at the Downtown Memphis Commission's State of Downtown meeting. 

The tallest building in Memphis had 11 bids narrowed down to the final six.

The finalists are: 

• 100 North Main Development Partners; primary: Kevin Woods 
  • Alexander Co.; primary: Joseph Alexander
  • Block Real Estate Services & Sunflower Development Group; primary: Aaron Mesmer 
  • Carlisle Development Company LLC; primary: Chance Carlisle
  • Russell Glen & Matthews Southwest; primary: Terrence G. Maiden 
  • Flaherty & Collins; primary: David Flaherty 

From the Daily Memphian:

image.png.f97fe51316de34c400ebdaee3f164042.png

The rendering submitted to the DMC by Russell Glen & Matthews Southwest depicts a 100 N. Main with restored UP Bank signage and a pool on top of the current parking garage. 

Edited by VSRJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Small update — looks like we won't have a final selection until January.

DMC announces finalists for 100 North Main redevelopment

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/11/03/100-north-main-finalists-announced.html

From the Daily Memphian:

image.png.f97fe51316de34c400ebdaee3f164042.png

The rendering submitted to the DMC by Russell Glen & Matthews Southwest depicts a 100 N. Main with restored UP Bank signage and a pool on top of the current parking garage. 

All of those are great and I wish there were renderings for the proposals by  Block Real Estate Services & Sunflower Development Group and Flaherty & Collins to have a better idea of those on a final product if they win but man the Carlisle renderings are awesome and really give new life to the old building.  

Edited by DRG901
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DRG901 said:

All of those are great and I wish there were renderings for the proposals by  Block Real Estate Services & Sunflower Development Group and Flaherty & Collins to have a better idea of those on a final product if they win but man the Carlisle renderings are awesome and really give new life to the old building.  

Agreed. I have a feeling that the finished product will look fairly similar to the building's current design — but of course spruced up with the lights on. Although maybe I'll be surprised and Carlisle will be selected (and they'll follow through with the facade redesign).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dxfret said:

The best option for any developer, and for downtown Memphis,  is to demolish 100 North Main Street.  It is so old and so dated. Pouring tons of money into a renovation won’t help.  The same applies to the Sterrick Bldg. 

The building is not that old and the idea to tear down that much existing structure is very non sustainable.  Crosstown looked equally terrible but you would be surprised at what restoration can do.  Also to rebuild a building of equal size would be about 150 million with no other surrounding work being done.  This building is only taking so long to redevelop because of it previous developer that tied up the space for almost 3 years.

• Like 1

Sears Crosstown was a completely different type of renovation as it was a warehouse structure that had huge concrete floor plates, very tall ceilings and a lower floor count spread out over a much larger area.  100 North Main is 57 years old and has lower ceiling heights along with  smaller floor plates.  Furthermore the lower podium was a parking garage with notoriously narrow ramps that eat up floor space and will be very expensive to convert.  All of these redevelopment hurdles have been well documented over the years and are among the many reasons the building has been empty for so many years.  Furthermore, Sears Crosstown didn’t have the staggering asbestos remediation coststhat will be required here.  If a developer has truly deep pockets, then go for it. It might be more economically viable  if the building was located farther south downtown.  

45 minutes ago, Memphis4ever said:

The building is not that old and the idea to tear down that much existing structure is very non sustainable.  Crosstown looked equally terrible but you would be surprised at what restoration can do.  Also to rebuild a building of equal size would be about 150 million with no other surrounding work being done.  This building is only taking so long to redevelop because of it previous developer that tied up the space for almost 3 years.

No doubt this is a huge project to attempt and could be a lot higher in costs once it gets started.  I am glad the city is actually being proactive to attempt something.  And I hope at some point whenever the lease issues or whatever is up they are proactive with the Sterick building too.  Crosstown sat empty for far too long as well and I eventually became a believer that nothing could be done with it.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2021 at 5:01 PM, DRG901 said:

No doubt this is a huge project to attempt and could be a lot higher in costs once it gets started.  I am glad the city is actually being proactive to attempt something.  And I hope at some point whenever the lease issues or whatever is up they are proactive with the Sterick building too.  Crosstown sat empty for far too long as well and I eventually became a believer that nothing could be done with it.  

I hear you on being proactive with sterick. That building is in dire need of restoration. It could really become something special with the right vision and developer

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 8:02 PM, TheKernel91 said:

Carlisle Corp. plans for 100 N. Main if proposal is chosen. 

a02a6472-65a8-4de7-b92a-84685d0cc83c-SW_Perspective_100_N_Main.jpeg

0cd33e96-5fda-45fb-b90a-85c3cfb013fa-East_Perspective_100_N._Main.jpeg

This is an amazing rendering. Love the glass skin. Hmm JW Marriott maybe??? Would hope this comes to fruition renderings sometime alter once u get into the numbers and build out of a project. Let’s hope if they are chosen it stays close to what’s pictured. Once this is finalized Maybe DMC can start bidding for Sterick 

• Like 2

100. N main is a pivotal building for downtown Memphis if done right with the right mix of hotel/ office/ retail/ residential it could be a game changer. It’s time to do something special there. Lowes has been dragging its feet when it comes to civic plaza  plan not sure what’s going on or if they will still break ground, but adding a Hotel @ 100 N main would be a great addition.  I like lowes and hope they follow thru, however a JW Marriott inside 100 N main would be amazing. Just my rant 

37 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

100. N main is a pivotal building for downtown Memphis if done right with the right mix of hotel/ office/ retail/ residential it could be a game changer. It’s time to do something special there. Lowes has been dragging its feet when it comes to civic plaza  plan not sure what’s going on or if they will still break ground, but adding a Hotel @ 100 N main would be a great addition.  I like lowes and hope they follow thru, however a JW Marriott inside 100 N main would be amazing. Just my rant 

Yeah, I'm doubting if the Loew's will ever get built.  It's a beautiful design and would look great.  Either way, 100 N Main needs to proceed since it is present and unused.  All the plans look great and would be a tremendous help for that area of downtown.  JW Marriott, Intercontinental, all hotel, part hotel and part apartments, doesn't matter to me.  I do wish they'd keep the old buildings on Main St, and refurbish those, but seems like all the plans I saw, those were replaced.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Yeah, I'm doubting if the Loew's will ever get built.  It's a beautiful design and would look great.  Either way, 100 N Main needs to proceed since it is present and unused.  All the plans look great and would be a tremendous help for that area of downtown.  JW Marriott, Intercontinental, all hotel, part hotel and part apartments, doesn't matter to me.  I do wish they'd keep the old buildings on Main St, and refurbish those, but seems like all the plans I saw, those were replaced.  

Yea apparently the developers believe demolishing those building and building new is the right move.  On the DMC state of downtown video Carlisle group has some sort of education plan for that site not sure if that’s a charter school or something else. It will be interesting to see what comes about and what development plan gets approval. 

22 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

Yea apparently the developers believe demolishing those building and building new is the right move.  On the DMC state of downtown video Carlisle group has some sort of education plan for that site not sure if that’s a charter school or something else. It will be interesting to see what comes about and what development plan gets approval. 

It would have been cool to see the presentations of the 6 finalists.  I think they are supposed to announce which group is selected next month.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

It would have been cool to see the presentations of the 6 finalists.  I think they are supposed to announce which group is selected next month.  

Yea I wonder if we can do a public record request for all 6 proposals would love to view them in detail. As far as Lowes goes it’s getting to the point that I’m doubtful they will move forward. 

5 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

Yea I wonder if we can do a public record request for all 6 proposals would love to view them in detail. As far as Lowes goes it’s getting to the point that I’m doubtful they will move forward. 

I'm doubtful too.  I think that's why Carlisle went forward with the 3rd One Beale hotel (Grand Hyatt) and why this project had so much interest.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I'm doubtful too.  I think that's why Carlisle went forward with the 3rd One Beale hotel (Grand Hyatt) and why this project had so much interest.  

There is a lot of Reason to doubt the Lowes proposal.  Here’s a link.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.commercialappeal.com/amp/8468743002

23 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Need a commercial appeal subscription

The New York-based hotel company broke ground on an 888-room, $550 million hotel and convention center space in Arlington, Texas last week. The hotel and convention center space is Loews' second project in Arlington. Both are part of a burgeoning entertainment complex around Globe Life Field and AT&T Stadium. 

The groundbreaking, often a point of no-return for development firms, is the latest sign of the hotel and resort company's continued recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the company has yet to update its plans for a 20-plus story hotel across from Memphis City Hall on Civic Center Plaza. 

Here’s a update on 100 n main announcement.

One of the largest question marks hanging over Downtown Memphis is the future of the abandoned 100 N. Main building, the tallest building in Downtown. Young said a preferred bidder will be identified by the end of the year and that finalist will be announced at the first Downtown Mobility Authority meeting of 2022 — a date for which has not yet been set. 

DMC earlier this year narrowed the list of bidders from 11 to six and officials have been interviewing the six finalists in November and December. 

“When we go to the Downtown Mobility Authority, we will go to them and we will be recommending to the board that we enter into exclusive negotiations with this developer,” Young said. "That will trigger exclusivity so that that developer can go and do their due diligence, spend money on different types of studies and really put together a firm development agreement that leads to the building being redeveloped.”

He added future development would not just include the 37-story tower, but the entire city block, including the parking garage, surface parking lot and the other structures along Main Street. 

Edited by Memphisborn

54 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

The New York-based hotel company broke ground on an 888-room, $550 million hotel and convention center space in Arlington, Texas last week. The hotel and convention center space is Loews' second project in Arlington. Both are part of a burgeoning entertainment complex around Globe Life Field and AT&T Stadium. 

The groundbreaking, often a point of no-return for development firms, is the latest sign of the hotel and resort company's continued recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the company has yet to update its plans for a 20-plus story hotel across from Memphis City Hall on Civic Center Plaza. 

Yeah, doesn't surprise me that they are more interested in the project in the middle of AT&T Stadium, Globe Life Stadium Choctaw Stadium, Six Flags Over Texas, and the Esports/Arlington Expo Center than the Memphis project.  

• 5 weeks later...
  • VSRJ changed the title to 100 N. Main Redevelopment – hotel, 180-210 apartments, 38,000 SF of retail, restaurant space and rooftop amenities, 2 parking garages
1 hour ago, TheKernel91 said:

Awesome. I was hoping for the Carlisle project to get approved with the 2nd tower for height density, but this will be better than a dead corner. 

Glad to see it has hotel component. That’s needed especially if Lowes doesn’t break ground. It’s a nice project the apts, retail, restaurant, parking , is good for that section of N. Main. Now if Lowes can get done, that would be an excellent number of hotels near convention center. Let’s hope Grand Hyatt gets done too. Sterick building your up next! 

• Like 1