Let’s get it started again!

gvsusean

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/14/2019 at 9:35 PM, gvsusean said:

I just moved to Kzoo... I have been an active member on the GR forum since 2005... let’s get this one going again! Anyone got any pics of kzoo to share or any tips on new developments??

Good luck getting this sub going. I really hope it works. I wanna see that new development downtown. I also hear they're starting chatter about a new arena again!

• 9 months later...

Maybe I can help fire things up again. I just joined Urban Planet (although I have silently followed the Grand Rapids discussions for many years). I'm an Architect living in Kalamazoo and I provide pretty regular Kalamazoo updates on skyscraperpage and skyscrapercity (and it's pretty quiet on those forums too). Here is a copy-paste job of my most recent update from a few days ago, for most of the higher-profile projects happening around town, to help get things going again. There is (still) a lot going on! Welcome to town, gvsusean!

These are from last Saturday (7/11/20) and they are just in the order that I came across them. A mix of driving and walking, and a mix of things big and small, suburban and urban.

King-Westwood Elementary School Addition and Remodel -
y4mNoGxaVQlJNeHxhiJp8ym80HOeqGRWCdsNz9q0

y4mg0beFZNtq41sji9NB4dEUTYEpX2B_l8RPychZ

Consumers Credit Union Branch - this was a fast new build on the northwest corner of Drake and West Main. An older bank branch was demolished to make way for this. The branch functioned out of a mobile trailer in an adjacent parking lot while this went up. Looks like it is just abut ready to open -
y4ma2R0b2nEVZ8ez1VDzxT_hT8fDQ2Qc6oF7aTuV

y4m2_-kX_8I6BDNMiw_OCJb9U33QXYs7TDSJz4iS

y4myRMIhrhiw0PPtRyBebPGyFV2lkI3pnqbRZHKh

In contrast, across the street on the NE corner of Drake and West Main is the site of the slowest-moving project in town, a new Chik-Fil-A (only the region's 2nd) -
y4mhf-lftH14XF6fOYbVBI5Qb6p02wK0iNkDCKXi

Bronson Methodist has a lot of things going on around town, including no less than six new Primary Care medical buildings. This is the one on West Main, in Oshtemo Township. All six were scheduled to open at the start of July, requiring a rather coordinated move of 60+ physicians that ended their contract with Ascension Borgess (the other big hospital in town) recently -
y4miqur_4LpZeK6woQeS_B4-e3n-fhhfyiZqKkdk

y4m622aR7UBuXZgZ9StThIR37qM7uC7jK4moSTRZ

There is a new drive that connects over to the new Advia Credit Union Headquarters, also under construction -
y4mF6aWHMUwjio2eN3bW9eMd0YjjK7F9Ta51bRxW

y4m4DF7CJY0tX-XpCxYRuqaYWDftb9XWh1f7yX4n

Though in a suburban location, the Advia CU building is quite massive -
y4mTw-sVa47LmPgocR9pxvtaLnbudx2bshmCx7TD

And the adjacent stormwater retention pond taking shape is also quite immense, in its own way. It rained hard yesterday, so we got to see it pretty full today -
y4mu1TgU6wHoRnPrg0XtW1pzQE6gvTeG9GOGuGvC

I'm glad to see so much masonry on the building -
y4mdnnxTPRmwH3uyPz7g7MO0ljXkXB8F4uvjOnLN

y4musi-7Ip_3DFku3l8AjQa66gHPJi1N7FiWdS7y

y4m71gTVVu_qSc-Dvb_WQ-LHXj-NQB9LD9Gp4VmG

South on Drake, past Stadium Drive, Western Michigan University now has most of the infrastructure and landscaping in place for its Business Technology and Research Park Phase 2 Expansion. Here's a site plan and some photos - no buildings yet, except for an open-air pavilion structure -
y4mxL_wHor5wPJZEYlajSIVmXRcUGlCtnpqliBGf
Source: WMU

y4mbFCiqqGh_pM1W5JQMTK9rJI2snst_6eNzILIb

y4mA5CZiYIKDUxyd4BZGWRn-sH3mhryX0f06cY2X

y4mwRBFlUcCRhg8Ap3qBDsWv7nX-6vgQ_4EPrt-l

y4mWOpTAa2smeC9EmYzACh1xKq7UFKw7qOsZHFEn

y4m0K7ekQZLGqIOILVONCo89EvmKix3kH01Vr4qt

y4mNry2NqHBEjvhngNMIpu4Z4juW6mShEEDQJni8

y4mAkDfnHDCzNTapcnuxFuAjAQFZ_QS3iBxi1Jlm

y4mKHvJLQMJFp4rCqTf9UiBAU_1oI6JsVY3XfKIH

y4mHC5VQmBiEBO7jawTnZMFLinnrM6GxDOyhl4Xl

y4mUOBtKf9qVVrRj7yrF9TagmOX_IHvkGtMyKBxO

y4mznRAo2sQ6egx93D4w5whB44C3JW9PcQ79WgvR

Heading up Stadium Drive now, towards WMU. It's hard to get a good shot driving by, but there is a new Honor Credit Union Branch that was formerly a Bob Evans. It is quite the transformation and will open this fall -
y4mqrm4w6EUsCFHZT1YXzB5aoXOPQs59JWq5oUIO

y4mhA9Xd9xpd_tE5tFXL5XEBgzDRHir69ZX081na

Here's some renderings, since I couldn't get a good shot -
y4mkJgT6RjG1AyAUwU5iSJn3a9JOelGt_4w1OA8s

y4mLSeL6HXuUcuBOkWd5IOPi_pYda7EUVkpcnfwz

y4m3-vQNP_ZjIslMRzQbfKQTnlkmtHZ6ykjB0IXg
Source: Honor Credit Union

Further up Stadium, Lume, the city's first Recreational Marijuana Dispensary, is open. I read that Lume is currently the largest, single-state marijuana dispensary company in the country. And they have some aggressive expansion plans.
y4m0RcYb-y1sB2NyK1GJr_kG37JMOr1AkDmMHDVv

WMU's Arcadia Flats -
y4mLqthkp6BtaR3FDs80V_jtGVeV0jmFCgJ52_xX

y4mX5fOXU6qioAIfmnuBy_th5lDA7RSKw9nogDa_

y4m2Quw9H1C0YUuZmYCfcWJuNvnmO2i7KXfYIwmG

y4mn_YmEig1leIe5URgguj6P2phII7mUB9YAgduk

And the new WMU Student Center, which is taking on greater presence - 
y4mqDlf4Gi_stULtPQwIPPgZA9F67OEdl4oCW4Cd

y4mJdXpo1SmEXpxhqluj9OOV8WraDrNPnwL9dGGg

y4m74JoZ1Y3FTGWpKOS9Bh8XLfZNwTorosxoGRV3

Kalamazoo College's new Natatorium is a lot further along than I thought - 
y4m7VFbjGQjgicosTKSN0LP6GUNpgAbY9RWqDxfW

y4mz7JMxkcz53NoI_JaI4Zx9J8TyQzPl8JqX7feL

y4mWO2eHl2PiAQA1tkjDC4qNPaikGZGMuA07C12E

y4mh_Lwtg_VM1-_vlg2RlW7Jq5greHgfwqAF2QnW

y4m2xI-R2eI0aow0gTTnIdztiOJU9F7n4agUY_SE

y4mRHaO0mCbinqQ45DLD2YqBfaSMq7haPvBShZ5B

y4m49vcsmKP56GZ9qceA4bAv6SkovNko_V_OSP_h

Downtown, Hilton Hotels - 
y4mf3ZAkA0DE5balqJgCINjvSLWmqR_VWK9AbrA8

y4mpWzc2qGRJPWEHXmfRteUmtm7Bxxemqv9YLJfj

y4mYRuPABVkuo9ybSF4bdvJDsT7pTd6kXjgV8gAf

y4maieFmeIuHXxznfc0XmHCsZhySGLH4XmZfYi7z

y4mwqmcuwxRKRvmPHcArwHNSMVmHJgTHS_LYDvyC

Just west of here is where the new county justice facility will be built. The construction fencing is up, and there is a job trailer and excavator on site -
y4ma81_elwTKN_B9Es9UKp2Ws0zW_6iaXdlG7MGH

y4mKPIJJc43ShYcd75OB22_THaB1l556QbLLdAfi

180 E Water St / Catalyst Development - exterior finishes are underway (and look sharp!) -
y4mXr7nfRuiDUNj8MbTj1FN4NF88gMKjl8LKG-6N

y4mhRtvQQWPIau2lIaqqMcVEu5NbiXH9toGFLQML

y4mYBALOZQuJEUNoioOOOK_niq019I21zQ2MR-L7

y4ma2wV0I552oie9jYoq1YtmKHyYRg-HuYwACG81

"The Creamery" -
y4mtq2keDBfDFmH0Fl7CULzSAreMzHcCQwIzc6AK

y4mlEPF76z4pjHT1ZD4ANoQVFJgEIJ8ozBq-9XZT

y4m_VRqkKtwSwtACCAF5hFFW_63MgvoW_0_SJicK

Bronson Cancer Pavilion -
y4mfrI_RSMxi06HrRJx53w5LmIjus-h_Un0zqZE_

y4mkLn-Q8KRbSvsEeEMaPm7PqZ2AyoXv-6z2wp-o

Bronson Generator Enclosure -
y4mAzspg1rBKra6jlVabzrr-4WpxxFhpeP7B5nYA

y4mM7cJXb6piQXl9nbhdIkTo5gHBtYv-oZjv6VfA

Bronson Surgical Suite Expansion (infill at main hospital) -
y4mEYO2PfZR-AOSNqKY-vZeqTPuN5VN9GrBeSovW

y4mo0OBjrJ89RdG7eAItvCa5-bDCjTqs3VmPH8Vj

Bronson Labs (like I said, lots going on) -
y4myRaTvSmae_tx5AVSY5TCZAq-cNcRzl8bR_WCd

y4miaGcwoBQmledLan7SlVd2PboHDmEJmG3uvIyU

y4mCrv_mkGTd7J6gdPz8nLtgGjMgQ1y9ABtsDYOM

y4m4UH8lWHnm8FbKkuW-DWusyOXlRhutqGlvUdq3

400 Rose (now occupied) -
y4m6w4adDSlKGz6OlvmLQQzAAXB-W-9cUyBCI0Lv

y4monfp67ChgVGmcAVJRRc1hoBTdm7kJxJiM3ob5

y4mhzFg7gW98ZiTDFfYrRvOtHUL7CrUm78cABCkQ

And finally, ending with something random, some sort of roof top work at the at&t downtown building -
y4mameMdp-_jr-Ws7hsCIXCDgFCDnm3dPcmc7ovS

Thanks for scrolling!

Here's a second (mostly copied) post from the other forums, which I shared a few days ago, as a follow up to the previous post, above.

The construction fence (and now demolition work) that I thought was for the new justice facility is actually a block west of this, and is for a parking lot that will serve the new facility. My neighbor, and this article, helped correct me. Newschannel 3 posted some video footage of the demo work that was commencing yesterday.

Construction crews work on parking lot adjacent to new Kalamazoo County courthouse

Samantha May | WWMT / Newschannel 3
July 16, 2020

KALAMAZOO, Mich. — Construction crews continued work on a space adjacent to the new county county courthouse building Thursday...On Thursday, July 16, 2020, crews were at the lot adjacent, constructing a new parking lot for the courthouse...They dug up and hauled away sidewalks and pavement to make way for the new lot.

Here's a screenshot of the video, credit to Newschannel 3 / WWMT photojournalist Jason Heeres.
y4mb_ociiU6i6Oj6Qcpbh_dYnBbCh_pVLfwfA8Yd

I'm pretty disappointed that after all this time, they are just going with a surface lot, versus a parking deck in the center of the block with actual mixed-use programming / development encasing it, which I thought was the earlier plan. See exhibit A, below.

y4mTqYA9EF0dmJmnSn8A8iRl4DioLMLAzr0-AxRK

The current demo work for the alleged new parking lot is in the top right block of the four full squares below. The courthouse / justice facility would be in the block to the right of that (the block where the "RISE" logo is), in the zoomed-in view (also the block labeled (Site Under Consideration for Courthouse) in the first image.

y4mNkHJ3iVnEjLzAlkKm4RWVUpRa9ocwSaDC9a3j

So three possibilities:

1. This will indeed become a surface lot, but will be temporary while development is determined.
  2. This will indeed become a surface lot, and will stay that way.
  3. WWMT didn't do a detailed fact check and / or used unclear wording, and this actually will be a parking deck.

My hope is that it's (3), but my fear is that it will be (1) or (2), and if it ends up being possibility (2), this will severely hamper one of the goals of developing the west end of downtown to create a tightly-knit, walk-able urban fabric to grow the small downtown. Instead, it will just be a slightly prettier, less dusty, more asphalt-y version of what's there right now.

I still struggle to find a lot of public information on this justice facility project, or its surrounding related developments. Which is surprising, considering hos high-profile it will be.

In other news, KPS is on track to finish their new transportation center on Ravine Road by end of August. Whether or not it will be put to much use come school starting back up this Fall remains to be seen.

y4mxpGq-cDOzovYgmJWMJgTT_J_Nv0gQz_n7J-C4
Source: WWMT / Newschannel 3 | Matt Miller

Lastly, I must mention that Buddy's Pizza opened in Portage on Monday, after a COVID-19 related delay. The building used to house "Old Chicago" another pizza chain with often mixed reviews that closed last year. This is the first Buddy's Original Detroit-Style pizza chain in southwest Michigan, and I think it will be a hit. I grew up with it, and jokingly say it is about the only thing that would make me want to move back to the east side of the state. Now I'll never have to.

Buddy's Pizza officially opens in Portage

Samantah May | WWMT / Newschannel 3
July 13, 2020

PORTAGE, Mich. — Detroit-style pizza finally arrived in West Michigan on Monday. After Buddy's Pizza delayed its reopening due to an employee testing positive for COVID-19, the pizza company opened its Portage doors Monday, July 13, 2020 at 5314 S. Westnedge Ave...

y4mRI5pMs-IHLRTpB06WP9C5CKxz4ZBdyUG19Hbl
Source: WWMT / Newschannel 3

My wife surprised me with Buddy's for dinner the day it opened on Monday, and all I can say is, watch out, Erbelli's!
y4mXAxeI6LLZHZ-yOTbFPn-b_HBY00uSiew88ENF

(yes, that's pineapple, and I don't care if you object :tongue4:)
y4mAfNBD301rQq0BP_idoi7L6iAmOY0abaMtrt2T

y4mL3jEcrbtSseeUQGp1oUWm1eIAGFw2iwr5pKEu

Edited by deja vu
  • Like 1

Here are some Kalamazoo updates for Saturday, July 25, 2020 -

Bronson Labs

First, a recent article about the newly-opened, 55,000 SF / 3-story Bronson Labs facility, located at 400 John St. in downtown Kalamazoo.

Bronson Healthcare relocates testing lab

Ehren Wynder | GRBJ

July 24, 2020

Bronson Healthcare’s main testing laboratory now has its own dedicated space across the street in a newly constructed building at 400 John St. in downtown Kalamazoo. The testing lab previously operated on the Bronson Methodist Hospital North Campus. The full-service testing lab provides a broad array of clinical services to Bronson system hospitals, practices and outpatient clinics, as well as other providers and health care facilities throughout southwest Michigan. It processes orders received from lab draw sites but is not itself a site for patients to go to for specimen collection...

The article touches on some pretty impressive stats -

• Modular / Flexible Design
  • Dedicated Education Space
  • 300+ Staff
  • 3.2 Million Orders / Year

The timing of this full-service facility could not be better, at least from the sense that it now allows for same-day turnaround of many COVID-19 tests in the region.

Here's a neat aerial view of the same project, recently shared by the Architect, TowerPinkster, on their Instagram page -

y4mq4Xp8j4XEaeiNpAKZgxCJdTo3gBNhHTZUNP2l

Stryker Instruments LEED Silver Certification

Speaking of Tower, they just announced on Instagram that the massive new Stryker Instruments facility in Portage (completed earlier this year) just achieved LEED Silver certification. TowerPinskter partnered with HOK on this project -

y4mpX5A8n4LupH4c5mM9Z4hO8UP_CFaoo2B6-GWo

There are some good interior photos from a few months ago that can also be found on several separate TowerPinkster Instagram posts, and shared below -

y4m8sDV_o2C3zQPdFKlnAUFiWX_KAPVE4K9FjPkJ

Source: Instagram | Towerpinkster

y4m7WMvqCSHueDAQWGX5hNKmfMM6kPIq0szQKTue

y4mHdDEm5AANkzlKQAXX_oQNC6EF5EwWUQeXYc-z

y4mCSKWkuAWD7kAKn3C0iLfkbmFuOk6Rr8xkF3a6

y4mUwk92mJ1tJK4MnP9i7elpAU-KXgHgH42SeGYM

y4mNmItH4SwcLir5qqCJswtZuf7-M0HADeI4iWTo

Source: Instagram | TowerPinkster

The Creamery

Just a small bit of news on The Creamery - the mixed-use project in Edison designed by Byce & Associates. The new planned completion is January 2021, after some COVID construction delays.

The Creamery development in Kalamazoo set be finished January 2021

Manny Revilla | WWMT / Newschannel 3

July 21st 2020

...Hollander said that COVID-19 has created a few small set backs in the process. Construction stopped for about two months and some materials have been harder to obtain but despite this Hollander said that he still believes that the building will open in January 2021 barring a spike in COVID-19 cases...

The Exchange

Some new, professional photographs are out for another recently-completed project designed by Byce - The Exchange. Sourced from Instagram, with credit to Jason Keen + Co. Photography & Fran Dwight Photography -

y4mfY3zqTjOqHplbNp2BO9-j82gp848jwDdIb9qN

y4m6HVkBG6rtZ5bsWU4OqHTTvI61MfswhHvUQzO0

y4mQ_mZ4rm4YqeTN_avabpFUgHvKFJOtAciIddU1

y4m3WcAWdc6z11UHwR7rcoORwk39fb--XFoTUa-M

y4m9Jtrj7o0nGhYcvLpmdDuZmbAtm0c7plH0hTcu

y4mZPhUDFdeVcVzjsR8c9ew5_OVUJU85-rAGqbdq

y4mLumE3t-sHxvPqKvSfjTbKB1GfTZoMcdwqVPET

Charles & Lynn Zhang Animal Care & Resource Center

Progress continues on the new home of the Kalamazoo Humane Society. These are screenshots from a video walk through posted in June on Instagram -

y4mVcA6_Jo-9NgdANBIJobsozfQkuB82qrKKJvbK

y4mH2Oax3ru68IfdU0BmP7Y80ZKR1-vlYVQv7yGI

y4mSh2EcmA5NPLKGbYktGGubzbBJCf-8LEnXI7ac

Source: Instagram | Byce & Associates

West Main Mixed-Use Project

I don't have a lot of info on this project and I don't know what to call it yet, but the demolition went fast and is already complete, after months (years?) of planning to replace this derelict auto service shop on West Main, near Stadium Drive. I bet the neighbors are glad to see this eyesore finally gone.

West Michigan vacant buildings to be restored for housing, commercial space

Trisha McCauley | WWMT / Newschannel 3

July 5th 2020

...MEDC began moving forward with community revitalization projects across the state...Crews were getting started on one of the projects in Kalamazoo. An old body shop on Kalamazoo Avenue was being torn down, making room for a new building that was expected to have have 18 residential units and commercial space for small businesses to use...

Boatyard Brewing Demolition (432 E Paterson)

Personally, this was a favorite hang out of mine. I was sad when it closed last year, and sad once again when I drove by the complex last week to see it bulldozed into the ground. I never understood why this place was disliked by so many locals, who complained about the environment, the food, the beer, the location, etc. I personally liked the crowd and the fact that it was set aside from all of the saturation of breweries downtown. The food and beer wasn't the best, but it was good, and the live music was always great and low-key. It was a cool complex, and it also housed some artist studios for a time, I believe.

Anyway, I am not completely sure what is going in its place. A lot of folks assume that the massive Graphic Packaging International faculties will expand its operations here from across the street, but I don't think so. They do indeed have plans for expansion, but I think it is all north of Paterson St., and mostly on the site of the old Checker Motors factory. One person on Facebook seems to be in the know and claims it is going to be a new Medical Marijuana grow faculty, coming Spring 2021. But no public info that I've seen on that. We will see...

Here's a google maps street view, from before the demo. The first two photos below are by Jane Brewer on Facebook, posted on July 11. And the last few are my own, taken on July 19 -

y4mngl9FRyc89eTOkWBGE64G-0dlLqPnzh4RO6WF

y4msPTNoxwWtipSilZEO0zl0E1X5Yj7GJCtgvZN0

y4mWHBYFuiDW-H7wtsHYfrURPIfj342iihldvFRR

y4mqjP4HnAq8Q7h9uOSM4VUeOGoyNM8Ufgv5baTQ

y4mQ6QhWLUwAYOrpZ6j93kACSNMEvHGoz3Q-8qVa

y4mS72tBfMrXtI7JetmLgJF6oN5JOsRNIIegktRN

y4mWRWheGKnf1Qlwsp--PyenU4g-kuqn5Fxa-jYx

WMU Projects / Facilities Construction Cameras

I don't why it took me until just now to notice that Western Mich. University Facilities Department has several cameras and time lapses for campus construction projects on their website. Right now there are three active cameras, all focused on the new developments in the South Neighborhood area (Arcadia Flats & the new Student Center). The Student Center camera is especially useful, since it is largely obscured by construction fencing, landscaping, and adjacent buildings in-person. Links and stills from today, below.

Camera 1 - South Neighborhood Overview

y4myKd83Zo6rIYCnFOt-6q2IWrA7wy603DG-Yog2

Camera 2 - South Neighborhood / Arcadia Flats Close-Up

y4mXOa721QWNJWsCsPZ66A-puWuPBv7_twlWymf3

Camera 3 - Student Center & Dining Facilities:

y4mO-rBgLY8IBx9ICHktMS9pjsQ72--0sIm16MEs

Here's a time-lapse of the first 8 months of Arcadia Flats construction (from February 2019 - September 2019), also on the Facilities site.

[YOUTUBE]as-rCNLtjbc[/YOUTUBE]

Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine Development

Finally, while not exactly development in the traditional sense, this is potential huge news for Kalamazoo if it results in billions invested in Pfizer by the Federal Government:

Pfizer reaches agreement with U.S. government to produce COVID-19 vaccine

The nearly $2 billion contract aims to have 100 million doses of the vaccine by the end of 2020.

Will Kriss | WKZO

July 22, 2020

KALAMAZOO, MI (WKZO AM/FM) -- The U.S. government has reached a $1.95 billion deal with Pfizer in producing a COVID-19 vaccine, U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex M. Azar announced Wednesday. The goal of the deal is for large-scale production and nationwide delivery of 100 million doses of a COVID-19 vaccine in the United States following the vaccine’s successful manufacture and approval. The agreement also allows the U.S. government to acquire an additional 500 million doses...

Edited by deja vu
reformatting

Two updates out of Battle Creek

With the help of a grant from Battle Creek Unlimited, a new taco joint is planning to move into the empty downtown building at 56 E Michigan Ave. Sounds like there will also be some second floor residential units as part of the work. I'm not crazy about the aesthetics of this...

$250,000 BCU Grant to Bring Torti Taco to Downtown Battle Creek

Tim Collins | 95.3 WBCK

July 24, 2020

The COVID-19 Pandemic has slowed economic efforts everywhere, including downtown Battle Creek, but a new $250,000 grant from Battle Creek Unlimited (BCU) will pave the way for another downtown restaurant. Torti Taco will be moving into the old Operation Grad building at 56 East Michigan Avenue.   Elliot McKone LLC, owner of the building, will get the quarter of a million dollar grant through the downtown Real Estate Improvement Fund...

y4m7xqF72zWxq_CYAyUdXvauWehIXtm02hhqw-G2

Source: 95.3 WBCK

y4mq3DSHcQ9fQpSGpKYXuDtF-uC_xcjnkdChA35u

Source: Google Maps

And another (much bigger) deal also involving BCU (and Industrial Partners USA) was just announced. I'm sorry this is not more architecturally compelling, but it is still a significant investment –

New $11 million industrial development coming to Battle Creek

Elena Durnbaugh | Battle Creek Enquirer

July 22, 2020

Battle Creek Unlimited has sold 55 acres along Watkins Road and Interstate 94 to Industrial Partners USA for the construction of a new industrial space. The development will feature a 270,000 square-feet industrial speculative building, which will include office space, 32-foot ceilings, 16 truck docks and the potential to accommodate a future rail spur.  The total investment is expected to cost approximately $11 million. The developers plan to break ground later this summer and expect to have the building ready for move-in by March 2021. ..

y4mtZofORjFo2uChMCNBbq-jVim22kLMkxOu3B6H

y4memXtdfsJN8sV0iScsNzlneKe5KgF9TszgA13l

y4mSg8raqxpHooyN16KeqpQtHcrexfAhoIGvku6W

Source: Battle Creek Enquirer | Courtesy BCU

I don't get down to Portage as often as I used to, but was driving around Sunday and noticed a few things.

Portage North Natatorium

Construction is well-along on this new pool structure. This project is very similar to the recently completed pool at Portage Central. The main difference is that this one is a separate, detached structure. It's interesting to me that in the past few years, the Kzoo / Portage area has gained three new top-notch natatoriums (this one, Portage Central's, and K-College's). I think swimming & diving must be increasing in popularity. 

y4mIWsPvVbjOtdq0-tI-8A9gqnq7VmN-eUMwTERG

y4mTsFmgiEkkKmGe-8QTsTOejAHt20ejLcf9-cbW

y4msRyNXhFTkjW4w7TCHHYvVItnxkLT-kznon2og

Portage North Middle School

Right next door to this is (and sharing a vast parking lot) the recently completed Portage North Middle School. It's actually a pretty "urban" design for a decidedly "suburban" area. I say that mainly because of the density and the stacked program, which makes me picture this in a much denser setting. Same story as above, this is almost a copy of the new middle school wrapping up at Portage Central, just with different finishes and site layouts.

y4m6OPsvfqQ8F_sU1AEIk8WfFRUNOfO3OGge9HpL

y4myGukAALx1ZSP0k8Z73xUceZoxX6v5KdfoSAgl

I particulary like this moment of stacked program & massing at a side entry to the commons -
y4mgsKDmioAPmqGQ4HJhlJcaTf_UqjqY1D2_TRZC

y4m_ui97UX5TeXXqMXmDvINDFPU4FPeb5QlclZx9

y4ms35XdeSekDZkWrqgynH8oMYGPjZ-GGQWJCwLr

City of Portage Fire Station No. 2

Lastly, I noticed that the replacement City Fire Station No. 2 is quite far along. It's a pretty different aesthetic from the adjacent, current 1970-'s-era structure. It seems to reference some of the common tropes of earlier fire stations, including the tower. All of the overhead doors / bays for the new building are located off of the street-side elevation, so other than the tower, this looks more like any of the other office suites in the area. I think the plan is that the old station will be demolished once the new one is up and running.

y4mfV-cL7t16nvcmhr6XWj939JFOx-v-MmXvZ30A

y4ml0Zang-FffPO5rSEVJaoCDpoO0kZpW2p7RZ0c

y4me1EWK4KxfZPM7QyRJXfA_57s2Uh4ekbblZvXk

y4mY6IOJGE-cBZvEU3EfCehRlad5FQQeq8unz0uD

There's much more going on in Portage I'm sure, and maybe I'll catch some more of it eventually.

Demolition work in advance of the new Women & Children's shelter at the Kalamazoo Gospel Michigan has begun. It was delayed (like so many things) by COVID-19. It's a bit odd to celebrate a new homeless shelter project, but it is sadly infrastructure that the city needs while it works to solve disproportionate homelessness problems.

Kalamazoo homeless shelter begins $10M renovation to women’s and children’s center

Samuel Robinson | MLive

July 30, 2020

KALAMAZOO, MI — Construction has begun on the Kalamazoo Gospel Ministries’ new women’s and children’s shelter, with the goal of better accommodating a demographic that continues to grow. Last week, the ministry celebrated the demolition of its vacated women’s and children’s center to make way for a new shelter with a live virtual event attended by Kalamazoo Mayor David Anderson, the ministries construction team and invested partners...

y4miBXZe0X9ZDsfG0GX_t3aAsiQjE-CZq5UmEYEW

Source: MLive | Joel Bissel

Separately, here is a still shot from the construction camera today for the WMU Aviation Education College Addition in Battle Creek -

y4myXdHYKrvRX6gYb7FdqZ3P26bbdQIZUBlTt0zo

Source: OxBlue

Edited by deja vu

Here are a few Kalamazoo development things; in order from small to big.

1. (Small) - "Urban Alliance" Purchases its Building

Urban Alliance has purchased the former Stockbridge Avenue United Methodist Church building that has been serving as its home base since 2015. This is a well-established community / resident support program with deep roots in the city and deeper roots in the Edison neighborhood. It plans to continue to operate out of the building and further improve it as a neighborhood community / resource center.

Urban Alliance Inc. purchases building in Edison neighborhood

“The purchase of this property allows Urban Alliance to expand its services and offerings to the community, both to the Edison neighborhood and Kalamazoo at large,” officials said.

Will Kriss | WKZO

August 04, 2020

It's actually a pretty decent-size site - nearly 1.4 acres according to GIS data. Seems there could be potential for some community-oriented development or affordable housing, down the road.

y4mh8sg78UY8WPz-oe6Dtmo3DcKduELeCKLLVQ2V

Base Image Source: Google Maps

2. (Medium) - Treystar / Haymarket Plaza Development

I feel like this was already announced, or maybe it's just because I was personally aware of plans for this redevelopment.

Treystar announces development plan for Haymarket Plaza downtown

“We have always felt like our properties created a neighbor in and of themselves on East Michigan Avenue,” said Fritz Brown of Treystar.

Will Kriss | WKZO

August 04, 2020

KALAMAZOO, MI (WKZO AM/FM) -- Kalamazoo-based development company Treystar, along with its partners Catalyst Development and the City of Kalamazoo, has announced plans in creating the Haymarket Plaza. Running along the north side of East Michigan Avenue, between the Main Street East buildings and the 180 Water Street project, the plaza is named after the historic Haymarket District where it is located...

This is kinda "Treystar-Central" so it makes sense that they would want to develop the void space created by their assemblage of properties in the Haymarket area. I like the idea of projection-mapping onto the side of the Haymarket Building. But at the end of the day, this development is really little more than some lighting, decorative concrete, landscaped planter beds, and maybe a few site furnishings (kinda like Bates Alley, on the opposite side of Michigan Ave. except at least there there are multiple businesses and restaurants / bars with outdoor decks / patios). At least they're trying...something. And if it is underwhelming at first, at least the groundwork has been laid for something better to come, futures from now...

Some Renderings:

y4mDVqRnwjHenS_on8ueInY0WhdrX84Ocg9voj-r

y4m0mL55-efuIFN11-u0cfM9Foc-PmfRhxD56tQq

y4mHXNq04OuFUsjx7Xe_UjD3w3PBxAP4NJBMDSTf

y4mwkhm4ok7GL_JmRCfp8N2A1lOIWBvd_CVQ9rwH

y4mIb4TLaiIDAlVfx9p-UNelWBvTVX5DwPLe6CxZ

Source: Patronicity / Treystar

3. (Medium) - 615 Holdings / 10th Street Enterprises

I mentioned a few posts ago about the demolition of a derelict auto shop near Stadium and West Main (very close to Kalamazoo College and the Amtrak train tracks). Well, we at least have a name and a rendering of some sort for this project. It's actually a little more interesting and a little bigger than I was picturing for that site. According to this GRBJ article, there will be two mixed-use buildings consisting of commercial space, 18 residential units, and 40 parking spaces. The project will receive a $750,000, performance-based grant from the MEDC / Michigan Community Revitalization Program. The site is also getting brownfield credits. I think this is a win-win-win for all those involved. Hopefully those are some strong, acoustically-insulated walls and glazing though, because that Amtrak horn is loud!

MEDC funds three West Michigan projects

Rachel | Watson | GRBJ

August 4, 2020

And a lot more info / project background here:

Offices and market-rate apartments planned west of downtown Kalamazoo

Malachi Barrett | MLive

November 30, 2018; Updated January 29, 2019

Interestingly, one of the partners in the development team used to be the lawyer for the brothers that owned the one-time auto shop.

Rendering (not much site context yet - presumably there are two of these?)

y4mQWt0JNCG_FuLcIPYafaSdCaX3u99LuCqiDZg2

4. (Large) - Graphic Packaging International Expansion

I was driving along the wasteland of what is North Pitcher Street Monday (after dropping off our voting ballots) and I noticed this project is MUCH further along than I had thought. They are going like gangbusters on this thing. It seems like every contractor in the region and his brother are on-site. I figure there were at least 100 vehicles in the contractor lot, maybe 150. While an industrial development in every sense, the scale of this investment, not to mention the promise of jobs it means in this region, is immense.

This is a ~$600 million development to construct a new "coated recycle board" mill. It is all being built on the site of the former Checker Motor Corp. factory. The mill will house a new coated recycled board (CRB) machine with an anticipated output capacity of ~500,000 tons of coated recycle board annually. That's a lot of cardboard.

It was way too busy and monitored to get out and attempt photos, so I offer some drive-by shots only for now. At least half-a-dozen cranes of some sort too.

y4mQVGZh22CACavUm4pMpJNDPz6yatoiC6guT1BY

y4mwn6MULnlCnangw5yZ65L332O6cvLkWbHNGdyn

y4mlNQFSzXL85cr421ntUexUPMHWYCJR-i4AzgEx

y4mzmywFEsMDzOmfnRKVuroLGIaC0_jE88OG2Trn

y4mraivu7R0G_k4b0N24fuz_qwWo-FQF28gEUsMm

y4m8m_CAqFgZEEb14CNRCvy7Cbyx03R8Wmfzvoim

y4mWPhIMQt2Gr1kw5ZKqw0vcp7e3w8pfJc80APDe

y4myBI-WWVKQxs5zpF_ygmtLLvgYbCN5yUPa-RvI

y4mp_AdmWDsEiU5OqsmUpvsooueurmSAg5guT5Y1

Edited by deja vu

I haven't checked the City of Kalamazoo Active Site Plan Review website in a while. There are 10 site applications currently open. Of those 10, two are fairly interesting, and they are both senior-housing developments.

The first project is called Rose Street Senior Living. It would be located at the corner of W Cedar St and S Rose St, just a bit south of the recently completed 400 Rose mixed-use development. The owner / developer is PGJ, Development, LLC. I can’t find much on them, except they seem to also own / manage River Bluff Townhomes in Mt. Pleasant, MI.

The site / civil engineer is Driesenga & Associates (Kalamazoo) and the A&E firm is Hooker DeJong (Grand rapids). If approved, it could be a 5-story, 64-unit development, including first-floor enclosed parking (~83,000 SF total). I think this would be a great development for the location, effectively bringing the density of S. Rose St. further south and replacing a surface lot with some good density. It would be an almost total build-out of the site, in-terms of lot coverage and allowable height 57’ high proposed / 65’ max. allowed). There are plans showing an interior, second-story courtyard / light well that helps adherence with the 80% max. allowable lot coverage.

y4mNGe_0WuJy6pbfD5q6X7d2swoeWughjJXcWD9L

y4mvNrs9j5dJmi1stKfTVO1G5JKpvllv9EBZuZIl

y4m6J160-prX54WrAIxJymjzTMduOMfYn7YiwYx5

y4mPyiC-qGYokCA3MTpFaUpsgU9wrB0J9SJAWXZU
Source: City of Kalamazoo Site Plan Review

The second project is an expansion at the Heritage Community (located at the corner of Portage St. and Phillips St.). The exact project address would be 500 Golden Drive. It looks like two of their existing buildings would be demolished for a new, four-story, independent living facility with 60 residential units and interior parking (~134,000 SF total). The signage in one of the renderings reads "Revel Creek" which might be a hint at the specific name of the development. Byce & Associates is the local A&E firm, along with Perkins Eastman out of Chicago.

y4mW1ZcYYdshftmkD6EE8_h-uBD2lFuX3O3333v4

y4mmiZ-Y3QZA6qDcwPUBc06KfJmvAs3lWe8wsJxa

y4meVGNRGb4C-b4NUU1qFVTUthBl_YO6A9APb4iA

y4m5rOfxpoNOLNN_aMclZzXzMzMqdYHtkwuxXL85
Source: City of Kalamazoo Site Plan Review

• 4 weeks later...

I love this concept program, and I hate the location. In my opinion, the intersection of N. Westnedge Ave. & W. North St. is far too noisy, commercial, and traffic-laden to be a desirable spot for stand-alone dwellings, no matter what the size. This area should be reserved for denser, mixed-use development, maybe 2-3 floors of sound-attenuated apartments, with ground-level commercial. Hopefully the stakeholders know what they are doing. It's better than vacant parcels anyway. The three homes and small business office building would be built in the first phase, on the southeast corner. The goal is that three more would eventually be built in a subsequent phase on the opposite (northwest) corner.

'Tiny' houses are set to be a big deal in Kalamazoo's Northside Neighborhood

Al Jones | Second Wave Media

August 28, 2020

Tiny houses are coming to Kalamazoo’s Northside Neighborhood. Delayed for more than seven months by state and local efforts to prevent the spread of COVID-19, ground is to be broken on Oct. 8 on three “tiny” houses -- about 410 square feet each -- by Helping Other People Exceed (H.O.P.E.) thru Navigation...

y4mzr0gDfNf6p_JOEBipPD09un8gZRORZhYqnNBj

y4mIbxsPwnwb-uB_D9p8ePJ4PRM6fiCjO96NOC1E

y4mhw2-LxhmbyEUsO_HWct2unzp-x2HINg37Rpjn

y4mNd1otNEABglkGTDKK-Cheqi5qbauZAHQDqswY

Source: Second Wave Media

Edited by deja vu

Catching up some things in Portage & Kalamazoo, gleaned over the past few weeks. First, Kalamazoo -

WMU’s new Student Center & Dining Facilities building, from this morning – 

y4mdjwl7JMxAJTwfldEZUNu5PL08hkXUXlDYefVV
Source: WMU Webcam

WMU Arcadia Flats, also this morning – 

y4mHNhoFNDtAXNKfECkh84V1TJoHkMgmQ1CSBzpn
Source: WMU Webcam

The Creamery, from near end of July, 2020 - 

y4mODf4eO0jaoyg5TXuRIla1p2WbrhGSH55Ap7an

y4mYwK_0hBTuZvMKrc7OLz-ziB_r9eDDKIiGCXLA

y4mcMLugGQDwb-zOFwk9ApvYWuSNLUYY2K5Ru4u3

y4mck1p7-hdGcb7Y18RzKhM1ZATHlbuxRDXJlm_5

y4mmXulj8rZOpYC1RaT7_0chuRyuyioRQj69343L

y4mqKxObXofyYLWTk6N11yqreu12Sni2J8_Zi7HM
Source: Instagram | byceassociates

The Charles & Lynn Zhang Animal Care & Resource Center (which will house the Kalamazoo Humane Society), early August, 2020 - 

y4mJf08GVU_Kdf8sEodAKRzfXWXGJImSpZcvlj3G

y4mCL2eavd_H3VGPiqV8HdJ0D0StKL-HhFN_kpCk

A couple views of 180 E Water St, posted by CSM via LinkedIn. The first is from during a Chiller installation, with bonus skyline shot - 

y4mlYumsoWMEaO9Vv7KDImnLzWXgHQ1bgpRJmC-Y

An unfinished office floor level - 

y4matha44T67D05yx-Y53E8cNkX-sBh18A2MKR3P
Source: LinkedIn | CSM Group

400 Rose, recently completed (it is the first LEED sustainable housing development in downtown Kalamazoo) - 

y4m8Yh1pd3BH_ioG2xHHHKLFpYittjARfGmQLrGJ
Source: LinkedIn | AVB

Lastly, a sunrise view from the top of the new Hilton Garden Inn / Home2 Suites, from August 2020 - 

y4mVeUWTQgCqfRJLn6sUtD0HlYIZuI_-P0kGmHxB
Source: LinkedIn | First Companies, Inc.

Moving on to Portage – 

Some nice shots of Stryker's new building, from 07/31/2020 & 08/12/2020 - 

y4m0m29XCqoq9H-vn8PmXfOGB4dFJzzJn3lrQZI0

y4m3lIxrNlB7BOr9Bam-XC3EvZmXXY7lMi96oxDX

y4m6hVDO8viYMpmZcHPhhYC58J2Hb5OayndHzV09

y4mH1E27G0KAsLbY6GCpLPsW1fQVUK0X0OuCn-e9

y4mkJRHJpbatlN5rmXSPDlF27ACdfdkIIuMBAMCh
Source: Instagram | @towerpinkster

y4marQ6PJFUdglmEkzDR4l9hDfJV6vUYkpbZDM-h
Source: Instagram | towerpinkster

And a pretty cool axo-section rendering view of the interior, posted 08/07/2020 - 

y4mrGdjQReSrYPxUgGe4hqTmSMKVTr3uQ5rV-8v7
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDmRKmsjigz

Portage North Middle School, professionally photographed, and now with an AIA Design Honor Award under its belt -

y4m8CwWaxSHsE8Lzhzk71K1zeE9PPYKxuaG9BuoD
Source: LinkedIn | C2AE / Jason Keen

Portage Public Schools recently released a public update video, with some footage of the new Central Middle School (which is very similar to the new North Middle School, just with different finishes).

y4ma219OCjxwoZzW6iOiFr6j4bDG-6yMxq5msecX

y4moZ15xE5nV3fEL0aUovIBP9KoxVUvK920MNnrx

y4mgteQC_V2GjDDCrmeMNmTwd0P_6Ms_tLQKigBu

y4mjaQK8GwUMwpUZXx2GoK9MO-m6zRMV0wAy-8Mt

y4m7PoXDmbyK5lv35IWAR9sbjN0M7q7iVRtRD-4p

y4mTFsjhRBEgZOAO5x4e1o6UUsZaN_P51zT-oiUO

y4m9nDrSHo9VoAWgRbe4pUUjcksDxgM-xsJMY8u-
Source: Portage Public Schools

Kalamazoo is currently conducting a series of input activities to modify downtown zoning uses & standards. The first activity was focused on updating the downtown zoning map by dividing the one, large Commercial – Central Business District (CCBD) into three smaller districts. The resulting map is below. The second activity focuses on feedback for this draft map, and specific use and standards of the three proposed Downtown Districts. This activity ends tomorrow (9/8/20). 

I think it is a good effort on the part of city planners, especially during the COVID era. Although I am not sure yet about the move from one zone to three (when many other municipalities seem to be headed the opposite direction). The city claims that the "one-size fits-all" approach limits their ability to implement the goals of the new master plan. The city's goal is to update the entire zoning code in sections. There has not been a comprehensive zoning update since 2005. These current updates are focused on supporting the visions outlined in the new, Imagine Kalamazoo 2025 Master Plan, which was completed in 2017 and can be viewed here.

More detail in the short video below -

Anyway, if anyone else here lives in the city, I'd encourage you to participate.

y4mRx2HG9EauP9-eBCSfhRtmGls9_EF5-mS2Vf1q
Source: City of Kalamazoo

y4mLWryFDtYBfMdp8ENSWUtcelR72oVXSWtZI5Zq

y4moFOE-scX9yEFRyjcgG-WzaLoKh9EQCIkAUCe5

y4mm_BXNqhl02aUIlJDIyB59aS3Fy80dz3gyS2Z4

y4mCdYPvjCJUd7zAe--sDcuJzabL5CspGsJnjF-1

y4muzoGEKj2gvdK-sE1I2ZC_ibTHBytiYQhyF4Ny

y4mWilXwDxX6QuQp6yIs7KqApMxynCtNxv56jGu4

y4mGJazIWaoUQdOiArQpEgq4JVbnYWCACfFX4oO0

y4mh1v4R2gMofZiPjkSa0W_0KUlJ9iLoWhRuR5jT

Edited by deja vu

1. City Life Teen Center, opening January 2021 (COVID delays), is a new, $3 million facility on Kalamazoo's Eastside. The site is the East Main Church of Christ (right next to Harding's). Technically, this is an infill addition that is affiliated with the existing church, more than a ground-up new build (WWMT is not very clear on this). The architect is INFORM Architecture (local).

New Kalamazoo youth center to offer resources for teens on the East Side

Trisha McCauley | WWMT News Channel 3

September 3rd 2020

Construction is underway on a new youth center for teens on the East Side of Kalamazoo. Organizers of the project said teens on the East Side don’t have many resources available to them and they are hoping this center can provide positive opportunities.

“We want to provide several options for the teens, give them several options and alternatives to addressing the lack of resources that they have right now," City Life Center Director Zacarrii Hamby said...

y4miqPP2to8YaeVFXo5jbh8EwAjxfngl0Y0CMPiC

Source: WWMT | Troy Truxton

y4m-rv9nxIW_gJWaIzHe2pBbS2QWSyrdvjSZ-f11

Source: WWMT | Troy Truxton

2. While browsing around, I came across these renderings for the new "American Muscle" showcase building that is planned for the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners. It is designed to resemble a 1960's auto dealership.

y4mQkOyQOxxPXx1FLwSAvpl2sKFxgHK2fKQ4kUEI

y4manhK5JGEUl9_wwMfCEULeOAtdlO9WqB9OMdow

y4m4gg6NGq1NSiXY7NtLMyI3v9NY_LPrfceEaqrk

Source: Schley Nelson Architects

3. Reservations are officially open for the new Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Kalamazoo. It looks like the first night one can book is December 9-10, 2020. No reservation dates yet for Home2 Suites, which I imagine is opening later. But both hotels are now hiring. I don't know why it took me until this far into it to realize that both projects have dedicated Facebook pages. Here are some updates from the recent past, from Facebook. The lobby in the renovated building (Hilton Garden Inn side) looks especially interesting. Note also the extensive snow melt system that is being installed.

Facebook Links:

Hilton Garden Inn Kalamazoo Downtown

Home2 Suites Kalamazoo Downtown

y4mJ3YKbYVxQDi3uweiHEnTmuS9B_N4dJ-Opuavc

Source: Facebook | Hilton Garden Inn Kalamazoo Downtown

y4mWr4So7j6R_qKXr9AJCv-XAedr2oAnE7H8LI-c

y4mU5HCZtSokQhOsuMQDbeIRHFDB84ocrUwvTnz5

y4mQBa9Sm9uBwHxr2jz5f0_3BWQ0KEUyItSH12BK

y4mxUc8myAhnOzAOzg10M-b5DCfPm377yAegWUho

Source: Hilton Garden Inn Kalamazoo Downtown

y4mITWtFeqShbd71ZsYNt20Hohdc2w5rUg53UXTm

y4mqw_WSLInfuRRDAzaJm2PKULWR-mIkp-O5PkYk

y4mzmF_TBuPhdXM4TK4UQMfCaMJLmhxn6zb74eHl

y4mmmazXU9sE3HlO-Y7EYU7JUGKdQEzp5AauiNJc

y4mZIsZfWAt_TX6uV_IQklUWQ3coQ7NxqGhgb3Lr

y4mS7yxaR440_TemjTueXmx5dta88yaGnPNM5EKU

Source: Facebook | Home2 Suites Kalamazoo Downtown

y4m0BC9XHOckjwBfGpGh6ibh4LO6uum3SUmFZ6j0

y4mlD1lCwgWPkX_ItO7tLsOUj1Q4qac9grGfZkVz

y4miFyLxDBeZbErNQBqXkTPdE__lKXKKicNecDi0

y4muHyI0ErxjgYPXHpZun4qRg_9BkB0n1t_bgBJ7

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! Here are a couple of updates around Kalamazoo:

1. Haymarket Plaza

Work is moving along on the Haymarket Plaza (the reimagined alley in-between the existing Main Street East Building and the new 180 E Water St. development). Frankly, I'm surprised it is moving this fast. They must be trying to get all of the concrete work done before cold weather sets in. CSM posted a photo on their LinkedIn account. This will strengthen the small but unique alley culture that the downtown has been developing over the years, joining destinations like Bates Alley, Whiskey Alley, Farmers Alley, and Exchange Place.

Once complete, Haymarket Plaza - a new downtown Kalamazoo destination - will include a pair of seven-story projection screens, decorative concrete, landscape-form furniture, specialty lighting, a snow-melt system, and an open area designed for entertainment events.

y4mZzz4W-fjJ1NVymeOrM5B6XzfbsdQPLH2kdEmX

2. WMU New Student Center & Dining Facility

Walbridge Group (CM) shared some interesting photos on their Instagram account yesterday of the final pour for the new student center & dining facility at WMU. The structural design of the floor is a "voided biaxial slab" which involves the use of many small, hollow balls that result in a lighter structure and increased + irregular column spacing. They look like large, colored golf balls, though I'm not sure of the significance of the different colors - differently sized voids, loads... just random? Anyway, pretty neat!

y4mah5pQFmlWFoWzg2t5_Y40aqOApUHTV7d0i5Yu

y4mLgwiw9ndoQqptHVaSW3JQCyR6aZofLQsHM_sj

y4me-yQYlOSUBh96ZCwWNSa9Z4wzgapFs5cnAYF6

y4mniz79XAgAWHM0_wuCdjKqUrhsWWx4oLgUemEz

3. City of Kalamazoo - Downtown Zoning

The downtown zoning revamp continues with a virtual town hall tonight (September 24, 2020 - Live on Youtube), followed by a Planning Commission Review on October 1, 2020 (also will be cast on Youtube). This process is moving along at a fairly brisk clip, and it will be interesting to hear how satisfied the public is with the final plan in the coming months. Draft documents can be viewed here.

y4mK5IUue7JMjYFja1vDYbC7-HZ0743UINcJttlF

Source

4. Updated Downtown Aerial Drone Footage

've been searching (hoping) that someone out there would do some new drone photography of downtown, since it has changed so much recently. And then I stumbled across @whiskeyalphadelta's Instagram account. Here are two views of the city center, taken on the first evening of Fall, 2020. The first view is the portion of downtown that lies North of Michigan Ave. and the second view is the portion that is south of Michigan Ave. If you know where you are looking, you can spot every major downtown infill development from the past few years, including The Exchange, 180 E. Water St., 400 Rose, and the Hilton Hotels. Great views!

y4mIN24l6VGuY1ov1rWGE47GCnRm-RMWkC0dRqWA

y4mMJzE0iIc1XyaWOgsRG-O8TbelG4fgbEDr0uy0

• 2 weeks later...

Portage breaks ground on new community senior center
Lindsay Moore | MLive
September 24, 2020

PORTAGE, MI -- Portage’s new community senior center moved into its construction phase on Thursday, Sept. 24. The Charles & Lynn Zhang Portage Community Senior Center is an $11 million project located at 203 East Centre Ave. behind the city’s current senior center. The city of Portage has agreed to match a public donation goal of $5.5 million for the new facility. The public fundraising campaign was accelerated by the Zhangs' $2 million donation in September...

I hope this turns out better than these chaotic-looking renderings.

y4mSwYUd_kAnbdOGB-T6Z3fThif13eM94D1okkDS
Source: MLive | Joel Bissell

y4mCv8oDTWDX16CmSlj8sBBuuYcKKafbCdG-2GXp
Source: AVB | Courtesy Byce & Associates

y4mlyuBhvPr88GvrdCniRn3kjc3hIgZWpOU-lfYS
Source: Portage Community Senior Center

The rain finally went away and the sun came out today. I counted 9 cranes scattered around the Kalamazoo skyline while walking around downtown.

First, I didn't realize that the Harrison Circle project had started, let alone that it was this far along. The prefab. concrete structure on this one is interesting -

y4m4q8s9CPeh3GmhJH9i4KhtrD8KZPh9UvVWydaH

y4m5qzQgyMlJ40MXRgeFrKtkNwF1M_S9mnwcuuFi

y4mY7nawXgFvrfaj8_gha8rjt-61X6lA-PgP1U5z

y4mYUdSWWGdIb7UjIYZCBUWNGv8XViClJPkml-pP

y4mo5p04SBUEgxX0edXQHQFj6O3xIofsFo8B-Npu

A new rendering of Harrison Circle slipped under my radar. I spotted this on AVB's website today -

y4mAh9rdJGphiBGCEAcXWdN0ugAee79I1Lylp_E6

It is very much in keeping with the pseudo-industrial, loft-style developments in the surrounding Rivers Edge district. It looks... nominally better than the earlier, 4-story version - 

y4mgqvv287PIPvAT7ARS7MUyVSnLPjJjjhuR8300

I spotted the glazing contractors installing some of the "showpiece" windows on the corner of 180 E. Water St. These are reminiscent of the Little Caesar's HQ pizza slice windows in Detroit. I love the exterior materials on this one - 

y4mYv_xYqJ_pcG8flzWGL3_FLYcLGR8capKIBrE1

y4mMcilFMDbEdJxbSevXGL1rwrmfRfuyRTlmldcC

y4mceckhY6OlPrGVHUheXJuk0TpMfKRNFQpBc_sc

y4mysnM3GXBNM5dPJZwC5w9RxJke-90FRHdmPWjE

y4m792eRirOdu3PyQh3nKNpcvfd1QuOJO_XvcJhL

y4mUeaeA1N_HOoaNOVcnT2CxkMaCyjeczMGqNxAN

y4ml96_V_B7FG5j4v45NkzgCzaUKBWzrCvvl__W9

You can see it peeking out above the smaller buildings along W. Michigan Ave. -
y4mOBo_0lVkk_FpVtIdZhdT5Qz_LGkcnDVOX-Y-X

y4mpcUCA7HIhkj69N6da3emilDGwhGC_ta122UmP

Haymarket Plaza -

y4mE5iSGw872Zrdvut0TnPRmgYCh4Yr_pYLzrZC9

(continued from previous post)

The Hilton Hotel projects are progressing rapidly. It looks like the terra cotta details on the former Masonic building have been cleaned and restored. The colors really pop now. Finishes are far along on the Home2 Suites portion, and the sky bridge appears mostly complete, although the road remains closed beneath it -

y4mFRT9s1P9ZwFWqY5rQc2e7GvnLAkz022VNUUx0

y4mj7idLJ__Vw4PuCLaMc5LhPzZuraqKGdtfeCLF

y4m5s4vzcXzoH7_-pqNEpHKD-qZHVT6gKHiRDTz8

y4mYYluB_XHRDUbAbY80AwJjHuLAQfPEEz-v7_nR

One can get a good view of this project from the top of the Radisson parking deck, not to mention the blocks to the west. The new county parking lot is nearly complete. The space in-between this lot and the hotels will eventually be the new justice complex. That project will help fill a major void and connect potential future developments further west to downtown -

y4mrRR3E11GL1OafPulK-LsVGlzIBh5d60JMMwbE

y4mS7JaKNvlbkPPVlddNCHQFIAl7-bdfZg9qEL-3

You can also get a decent view of 180 E. Water St. from the top of the Radisson parking deck, as well as the Graphic Packaging International expansion. Also, it was just great weather for a general skyline shot. Lastly, you can spot the four cranes that are a part of the new WMU Student Center, off in the distance to the west -

y4mTA9-ZD5Wo9i4BfdaJcZInP9jJ10UlX1hpTsNt

y4mkhi1YEGa0Y3plRFBTkRjcJvg9CDHylZKABnoK

y4mZqJlvri7KRZUMadrIYY8A4pEP1HjT4BVgaCHl

y4mj-PmKZqDEfIohey9R3XYgqnWNalQBAvzLGYNq

We end with some closer-up views of the WMU student center. In the last photo, you can spot the opening in the floor plate that will visually connect multiple levels of the building -

y4mLun56xFqFNeBUxZ13wF0lJzc2AKPXvZ9BXHLF

y4mADNOnj1B0bAdhq729XlS3L5kTTddokNNRdeiP

y4mSytA5PTfgKBxURlb2KB_1ebd7akbLknepNXLR

Byce & Associates posted a progress video two weeks ago of the Advia Credit Union project. I think it's growing on me... the interior lobby space looks like it will be pretty cool, and the exterior finishes are well-selected and actually have some complexity. I keep wishing this thing was in the heart of downtown though, as opposed to in a field next to a Meijer. I'll hopefully get to tour this in November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDKm42HSEm0&feature=emb_logo

Edited by deja vu

The notorious Econo Lodge in Battle Creek is finally history. This place was plagued by years of illicit activities, then a lawsuit, and finally, a suspicious fire. The demolition cost is $90,000, paid for out of the $2.4 million insurance settlement that the motel owners received.

According to this article,

...Police had to go to the motel 475 times from January 2018 to February 2019[!]

Read More:

Final Chapter for Battle Creek's Econo Lodge and Attic Lounge
95.3 WBCK News Talk Radio
October 1, 2020

In an alternate universe, this could have been restored as a cool, retro-style motel. But alas, now it will become a grassy lot.

y4m5QeFueotcMzW_L10S3KpQNiGNcYMmtlSIcGEF

y4m_MhKLpltdECCVO_zs7trUoBeDisy7KIeCTgz1

y4m0zP883lGhYTGbg-fzRXDADJLC5HH9oTcCR5JL
Source: 95.3 WBCK News Talk Radio | TSM Photo

Edited by deja vu

The Boys & Girls Club of Greater Kalamazoo is eyeing several prominent parcels for expanding their presence in the city. The site, located at the intersection of E Vine and Portage Streets, is comprised of four parcels, several of which were recently cleared -  825 and 847 Portage Street + 720 and 726 E. Vine Street. Most recently, it was home to Grapevine Furniture. B&G Club plans to build a new, 2-story Community Service Center here.

This could be a good anchor organization in an area that is lacking cohesion and walkability. The site is more or less a no-man's land, positioned in-between Downtown, South Town, the Vine Neighborhood, and the Edison Neighborhood (although I think it technically lies within Edison). It's sort of industrial, sort of residential, sort of commercial, sort of open space. There are busy roads and train tracks nearby. The area has born decades of decline, demolitions, and disinvestments. It has higher poverty and crime (I feel like every time I say this about an area of Kalamazoo, there happens to be a police vehicle in the street view). Only recently has new development centered around Washington Square - the small commercial center of the Edison neighborhood) - spurred greater interest and reflected a renewed effort to stabilize the area.

A Special Use permit is required for such a function in the current M-1 district. This went before the Planning Commission at their September 2020 meeting, and I'm assuming it passed, under recommendation from the commission. There's no publicly shared massing yet, but I'm glad to see it will at least be 2 stories and stay fairly close to the lot lines along Portage and Vine.

y4m7KN27sJNGOo0wDCluRQDsc6iPK3AF_i-IQcAM

1. Bronson Park Updates

2+ years after being removed and placed in storage, the bronze children statues have returned to Bronson Park. New concrete bases were constructed for them. They previously sat on plinths in a fountain that was demolished and replaced with grass. The statue series were created in the 1970's sculptor Kirk Newman, to commemorate the country's bicentennial and they were originally dedicated on July 4, 1976. The full title is “When Justice and Mercy Prevail, Children May Safely Play.” Kirk has since passed on; his work seems to have a theme of groups of people / children.

y4mER0ca5jpVgkPiUvKJ2mMlkRsT93x8s6JEQsje

Source: MLive

There have been several other recent changes in the park, as part of ongoing implementation of a newer masterplan. A new honor walk that  reorganizes the parks many monuments, plaques, and historic paraphernalia into one central area on the east end of the park was recently completed. There are ongoing plans to further stabilize, protect, and highlight a Native American burial mound in the south-west area of the park. And these display signs were erected earlier this year -

New signage comes to Bronson Park

Joel Bissell | MLive

May 1, 2020

y4m0UJZkqvpiENKmcMDa-Dy2cIzhCvnTEuIEjk3P

Source: Joel Bissell | MLive

2. Northside Tiny Houses Delayed

Phase 1 of the Northside tiny house project is delayed. Groundbreaking was supposed to be yesterday. No reason for why, apart from "logistical issues' related to zoning. The issue really should be that these homes are better suited to a less prominent commercial intersection, almost anywhere else on the Northside -

Tiny house project in Kalamazoo delayed

Rachel Glaser | WWMT News Channel 3

October 8, 2020

y4mzr0gDfNf6p_JOEBipPD09un8gZRORZhYqnNBj

Source

3. Heritage Community of Kalamazoo / Revel Creek Development / 500 Golden Drive

It was announced yesterday that Ziegler Group, the investment bank that is backing the Heritage Community Of Kalamazoo's planned housing development, successfully closed on the Series 2020AB Bonds. It's an important step towards constructing the 60 independent living units to be located in a new 3/4-story residential structure on their campus off of Portage Street, dubbed "Revel Creek".

Here's a reminder of what it will look like -

y4mW1ZcYYdshftmkD6EE8_h-uBD2lFuX3O3333v4

4. Zoetis Expansion

Lastly, Zoetis is asking for a 48 million dollar, 12-year-long tax exemption, in exchange for an already-under-construction, 94 million dollar expansion to their operations on E. Kilgore Rd. (just north of the airport). The work includes a new 41,000 SF building that will add space for new production lines for new products and create an estimated 22 new jobs. There's a City Commission hearing scheduled for October 19.

Seems like a lot of tax-exemption money. And why are they doing this now, when the building is already under construction?

Zoetis asks for tax exemption for $94M expansion in Kalamazoo

Jeana Gondek | WKZO

October 6, 2020

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Loo in Kalamazoo! First Portland Loo installation in the city, from today. Interesting location, right on the edge of this parking lot, across Water St. from the Arcadia Festival Site, and almost directly adjacent to the KVCC Center for New Media Building and the new 180 E Water St. development -

y4mjaXrAuPpi5KAjctJ3QxrQgx_v2bkq-OhwlnS2
Source: Instagram | ar_haan

Speaking of 180 E. Water St. - the tower crane finally came down Tuesday. Here is one final look at it, a video CSM shared on LinkedIn. Also, the below photo, taken Monday, before disassembly began -

y4mkfvKHj4oIhnpsCf11w-yonwVy0ttVEJZheZIx
Source: LinkedIn | CSM Group

Edited by deja vu

Advia Credit Union HQ is cruising along. Pretty much fully-enclosed now, and ready for interior work to continue through the cold months ahead. And oh how I wish they had built this 4-story HQ on any number of vacant lots downtown, instead of in the middle of a field in Oshtemo Township!

y4mKr5kfG-OynnyDA3GfyCzy35MRHmG2q_W2YAnL

y4mvYUNF3Vv3Rhu42h6dG9ybcdeKR0ikSkxmWx3Z

y4mUWWNtoXtJJvR0Pi0IJCijDOYIdCoPwd0b_90k

y4md448O84LlSDfj3D8WK99b5z1H2_ineMEgjtvF

y4m7Cw_hKDfSQzxszb7xzZDP4mNxGEzLhjCuMehQ

y4mz4Bp2ZXf7IKskFedGnVc2rkf16EWlCoBuowLu

y4mfYKbqhxESdaJpodqDUwj5h2TV70BNIDenCvpE

y4m-icrIVjFBmCfp5b2sYsZysxUuYJBeAJVxpBxv

y4m1fw0mIZG21uim0_Z757mUQfcliJFgieICuGyW

The Creamery is also very far along. In addition to the new, 48-unit housing stock, it will bring a new service to Kalamazoo - a 24/7 childcare center, operated by the YWCA of Kalamazoo -

y4m2lkIs2AACUo8LlfFvDeS46OO3CHNOZ0KMdz4j

y4m6_cH7QSCO8k8kG-ViCFGW3E8z6Ic_MFPfZpG9

y4mtUQIEv-yiWmnLmj1vMbjESU6CTIzPCkB9ZkWh

y4mogrTTjI7_7jRGwKN4nnomyjGoiAIxP3jn6CnV

y4mm184FxBg0oV8h8AU6ptnozZWv1ZVIde_PxMyn

y4mxkBjVgOprMEoFSWkAF7h_lITWozoQ9NOy-_m8

y4mamVMIm4keiXzbf01eO0AjFJml01S6M8HS9LWk

y4mvru8lx3306ET3qu9t3ZLxTi80KTeCUpELv69P

Harrison Circle Apartments is also moving very quickly, no doubt attributable to the prefabricated / modular concrete construction methodologies employed -

y4maU6QzFhbzuV9NS8PPLG_xtHp8IGw3tYor0LbJ

y4mLsUg-b9JBW7GvgYIY3fvMGK9nmLOEdhcdOVx6

y4mlpv05DO7S7c7aI0_ahqJ4EIW6JfOoRLb6-fKK
Source: LinkedIn | AVB